DISH FIRST TO OFFER TV SERIES IN 1080P RESOLU

All hype, no content.

Actually HD is no longer the "in" thing. Its the sad and tired technology companies that have been getting rich off us and hiring oversears workers.

Look at the economy now, F&%$ HP, Samsung, LG. Phipips et.al.

May the tech companies go bankrupt. Take all the content providers with em.

God gave the King, the facist regime! Threre is no future, for USA ...man.

Take your meds...

:)

Well I just started downloading it ... it took about 5 minutes for it to actually start. The initial time to download was something like 24 hours plus :eek:

After a few more minutes it is now saying just under 23 hours.

The download rate is steady at 0.47Mb/s.

Hopefully I will have it by around 8PM tonight to watch with the wife ... we'll see ...

I also just started downloading it and am getting 0.45mb/s (which is slow since I typically download torrents and the like at 1.0mb/s so I wonder if that's just their limit?) That said it's telling me I have 24:37 left to download. I'm not sure how accurate that is but if that is true that means it should be about 38.8gb for the video file?

(.45mb/s * 60seconds in a minute * 60 minutes in an hour * 24 hours)

Well it finally downloaded, only took 12 hours! I have 18 mbit Comcast.

However, when playing, my TV shows it playing at 1080i, not 1080p. My LCD is capable of 1080p, and is a new Sony 52" LCD. Anyone actually confirm that it is 1080p?

Have you seen a Dish Network 1080p broadcast yet?

Fios is great, but 98% of the country can't get it. (And their DVR sucks) :)
No, I have not seen Dish Network 1080p yet, but if TurboHD is any indication of their HD quality then FiOS, and others, have nothing to worry about. In all fairness, the FiOS DVR is better than 90% of the cable DVRs out there, but they certainly suck when compared against the VIP line of DVRs, which is clearly head-and-shoulders above all others. Instead of wasting time money on this 1080p gimmickry, Dish Network should focus on returning their HD quality to the way it was prior to the DishHD/TurboHD era...most HD enthusiasts would be estatic.

Additionally, VOD brings up an interesting question of whether the DBS companies should be paying cable franchise fees if they are delivering subscription based video via IP: traditional cable pays them, Verizon and their fiber-to-the-premise FiOS TV pays them, and AT&T and their U-Verse IPTV pays them too.

I also just started downloading it and am getting 0.45mb/s (which is slow since I typically download torrents and the like at 1.0mb/s so I wonder if that's just their limit?) That said it's telling me I have 24:37 left to download. I'm not sure how accurate that is but if that is true that means it should be about 38.8gb for the video file?

(.45mb/s * 60seconds in a minute * 60 minutes in an hour * 24 hours)

gb might mean gigabit, not gigabyte. If you divide your result by 8 (assuming no ec bits), you get around 5GB, which is not unreasonable.

I just checked and the download was complete. Watched some of it and the quality was the best I have seen on Dish, seemed as good as the 1080p24 on channel 501. Looked like full 1080 x 1920 but was 60i, not 24p like it was supposed to be. I notice that diagnostics reports the wrong resolutions for my TV so that may be why it doesn't do the Dish Online 1080p but the 1080p24 VOD on channel 501 works like it should.

I just don't see what the big deal about 1080p is.
It's intended to be for big projection images, i.e. 5 to 9 feet.

For the usual 32-47 inch HD TV set, the human eye cannot detect any detail finer than 720p at the distance of the usual living room sofa:

resolution_chart.png

From the article:

What the chart shows is that, for a 50-inch screen, the benefits of 1080p vs. 720p start to become apparent when closer than 9.8 feet and become full apparent at 6.5 feet. In my opinion, 6.5 feet is closer than most people will sit to their 50" plasma TV . So, most consumers will not be able to see the full benefit of their 1080p TV.

In my case, I have a small, cramped living room, and nevertheless there is 9 feet from the head of viewers on the couch to the 42 inch screen.

Of course, the same applies for 1080i as for 1080p.

Since 99% of HD TVs are 50 inches or less, our national system would have been better served with a standard of 720p for broadcast and 1080p for blu-ray, thus doubling the available bandwidth on satellite and cable systems for HD channels, and not subsidizing the huge screens of 1% of the population (who can buy blu-ray disks if they want to get the best picture).

Dish Network should focus on returning their HD quality to the way it was prior to the DishHD/TurboHD era...most HD enthusiasts would be estatic.

Straight up. The PQ of HD on Dish is horrible now. The pay channels are good and some select channels, but I recently watched some of my old VOOM shows stored on the HD and the difference is incredible. Air Racing anyone? Dish's HD on the network channels (USA, TBS and TNT) is a pixelated wash that looks about as good as my old 4:3 TV displayed back in its SD format glory when I had Dish in the late 1990's. Some of it is the fault of the networks sending the feed, but the compression is Dish's to answer for.

Notes and impressions:

According to the DishONLINE Download List screen, The Beast is coming down at 1.04 Mbs and says 99% done. (as far as I can tell, there is about 20 seconds of credits either missing or still to be DL'd)

As luck would have it, I recorded The Beast this week and watched it (and deleted it :( ) last night just before I came here and read Scott's announcement about it being available through DishONLINE.

I have a Sony KDS-55A2020 SXRD RPTV that I, sadly, discovered would not do 1080p/24 when the Turbo HD first arrived, so I have not watched any of the 1080p PPV options.

Since this 1080p was FREE, I said, "What the hell" and DL'd it.

It did not do a test to see if my TV could do 1080p but just went ahead and started. A push of the Sony's Display button showed a 1080i resolution.

Though it was last night since I watched it, I must say that the resolution was demonstrably superior to what I remember from the version I recorded off of A&E HD.

This appeared much sharper and better color saturated (even for a show done with much gray-sky & snow shoots and gloomy night scenes). You could also better see the 'grain' that the cinematographer imposed (chose) and the presentation was much more apparent that it was film based and not video.

The biggest improvement seemed to be the contrast...especially the dark scenes.
There were details in the shadows that were crushed into total black the night before.

My take is that I was watching a full 1080i presentation at the limits of what can be broadcast (and what we wished would be narrowcasted for ALL our Dish HD channels)

The two disappointments:

1) It was not Dolby Digital (Pro-Logic only )
2) The Closed Captioning did not show as it had on the 'regular' recording.

All in all.....I was very pleased and hope they do much more of this.

...“We are thrilled to work with A&E in pioneering these efforts by taking television to the next level using 1080p format,” said Jessica Insalaco, Chief Marketing Officer for DISH Network. “As the first pay-TV provider to first offer VOD movies and now offer a TV series in 1080p...
So the two or three people who have seen this are reporting that it's actually 1080i, no 1080p test, no 1080p video. This has got to be the biggest total fricken scam-lie-bs job by E* yet! I wonder if this Jessica Insalaco knows that she is spreading completely false information for charlie?

It's intended to be for big projection images, i.e. 5 to 9 feet.

For the usual 32-47 inch HD TV set, the human eye cannot detect any detail finer than 720p at the distance of the usual living room sofa:

I have a 1080p display. I meant 1080p versus 1080i.

While you can receive 1080p through component, most STBs and most TVs only do 1080p through HDMI. Also 5.1 and 7.1 audio are only available on HDMI (or 5.1/7.1 analog in, something not found on TVS).:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)