Dish Has ‘Free Speech TV’ Problem

where's the nudity cause I haven't seen it. Although I've probably only watched a total of 10 minutes of that channel

I've been seeing this coming, and writing about it, for weeks on another board. It's a wonderful, ironic case of two government initiatives (family tier vs. PI must-carry) working against each other.

I think the potential solution of allowing subscribers to opt-out of FSTV makes the most sense. Part of the driving force behind the family tier is the indignation of having to pay for programming that you oppose, whether you lock it out or not. FSTV doesn't get a dime from Dish, so allowing it in the family pack doesn't mean that family pack subs are helping FSTV. Unless they decide to send in donations. ;)

M Sparks said:
Why does the Religious Right have so much trouble with that concept?

They're jealous because the Liberal Left has been so much more successful at forcing their PC agenda down everyones throats. ;)

NightRyder

It will be interesting seeing what runs on these "family-oriented" channels anyway.

Will there be family PG-13 flicks like the Austin Powers series, James Bond movies, X-Men 2, and classic teenage PG-13 sex flicks like "American Pie" and "10 Things I Hate about You"? How about slightly edited versions of Die Hard, Blade Runner, and Rambo? Or slightly edited Nightmare on Elm Street movies? Likewise for Sex in the City reruns.

Are they going to show any of the daytime soap operas?

Even the ABC Family comedy series "Whose Line is it Anyway?" is filled with sexual jokes from time to time.

I hope there is not a significant outcry against FSTV being included free in the package when there is so much dubioius "family-oriented" programming usually included in these channels anyway.

If there is an outcy against FSTV. It's from the same opportunistic religiouis right who wanted to shutdown anybody who dare said "happy holidays"

Ah, instead of rational argument, bring out the boogieman of the "religious right" and slam it. That makes you argument really compelling.... NOT!

And a cable guy constantly posting "informative" articles is unbiased.... NOT! as well. :)

Brad

NightRyder said:
They're jealous because the Liberal Left has been so much more successful at forcing their PC agenda down everyones throats. ;)

Both sides are equally annoying. The difference is...

1)The right is actually in power.

2)Millions of people throughout history have been murdered in the name of God. The worst Political Correctness has done is made the world more bland.

Believe me, if the left was in power, I'd be complaining about them. But at least I wouldn't fear for my family's safety.

M Sparks said:
Both sides are equally annoying.

Agree

M Sparks said:
1)The right is actually in power.

Yes and the Left is very unhappy - Just like the Right was very unhappy during the 8 years of the Clinton administration.

M Sparks said:
2)Millions of people throughout history have been murdered in the name of God.

Yes radical anything is usually bad, especially religion.

M Sparks said:
The worst Political Correctness has done is made the world more bland.

I find Political Correctness to be much more insidious, it stifles real conversation, makes people tip-toe around each other, problems go unsolved because we all hide behind and fear words. Its not just made the world bland, its made it fake, and it permeates damn near everything.

M Sparks said:
Believe me, if the left was in power, I'd be complaining about them. But at least I wouldn't fear for my family's safety.

We survived 8 years of Clinton, we'll survive 8 years of Bush. Neither is the boogie man the opposition makes them out to be.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
I find Political Correctness to be much more insidious, it stifles real conversation, makes people tip-toe around each other, problems go unsolved because we all hide behind and fear words. Its not just made the world bland, its made it fake, and it permeates damn near everything.
I liked this response a lot, and just had to comment.

I'm hardly a supporter of the "Religious Right," but IMO NightRyder's argument has a lot of merit. Legislators in PA would agree. Although this is slightly off-topic, there's currently a resolution proposed in the PA House that's intended to enhance college students' academic freedom/freedom of speech (i.e. curtail the insidious nature of PC rhetoric, to some degree). Here's a link if anyone's interested.

With that said, I didn't even know FSTV existed until the recent series of threads regarding it. I just added it to my list of favorites, so bring on the neked ladies! :devil:

Disclaimer: The last statement in the post above was intended for comedic effect. This poster is neither a sexist pig, nor supports the objectification of naked women... He doesn't carry a bible, either.

scott,

no need to worry. if there is any article out there that tries to paint satellite in a negative light, cable guy will post it ASAP.

iKramerica said:
scott,

no need to worry. if there is any article out there that tries to paint satellite in a negative light, cable guy will post it ASAP.

You don't always come down to the cable forum, I will post negative stories when they come out. Dish, however brought this on themselves and that is a fact and it's been posted and has been discussed. I have posted positives for Dish in the past along with DirecTV, StarChoice among others. Most articles you read lately about Dish has not been that good because of there actions in recent weeks. Now if you have a postive article about Dish you would like to share with the class, then please do so. But do not knock me if I post something that made you respond. Less then 28 hours to go and we will see what happens to Lifetime on Dish, E*, Charlie's pet project, Echostar, Echosatan or whatever in the hell it's been called this week. Note: I am a former Dish customer, I have even considered switching back to Dish. I am out in the sticks so satellite is my only alternative. C band is also looking real good at this moment also.

E* should just drop this station as it is terrible. Who in the hell watches this trash anyway?

Drop FSTV and use the bandwith for something better E*!

I watch it occasionally. And REALLY like it being available.

Now if there were only a channel equivalent to National Public Radio, say a National Public TV News channel, run by the same people who do NPR, then that would be great.

Harry said:
Who in the hell watches this trash anyway?

Uh, me.

Although, to be honest, I haven't watched it in about a year. Saw a great documentary on Negativeland last time I turned it on.

NightRyder said:

It's only a problem if you let be. I don't tiptoe around anyone. The basic good intentions of PC activists (Essentially "don't be such a racist, sexist, *******") is something we all should have been following to begin with. I can't say it's ever affected my life in any negative way, although I've heard plenty of isolated horror stories. I really only have a problem with PC folk that can't separate fiction from reality, or humor from seriousness. But it's the right that wants to censor everything, not the left. The left just gets huffy and self rightious...the right starts passing laws. I value my right to free speech (see, I'm on topic) above all others, because it gives me the right to complain when they start taking away my other rights. And right now, I feel my freedom of religion is most at risk.

I will admit that recent stories of little ol ladies being detained in searches in the name of not offending anyone is pretty horrible.

NightRyder said:
We survived 8 years of Clinton, we'll survive 8 years of Bush. Neither is the boogie man the opposition makes them out to be.

Bush on his own wouldn't be so bad, but he's surrounded himself with some of the most evil people in history. Well, he didn't even surround himself...they surrounded him. He's just a spoiled ignorant rich kid being used by corporate America.

As far as Clinton goes, I never understood why some people loved him and some hated him. I pretty much had no opinion of him, positive or negative.

I'm registered "no party", and usually vote Libratarian. In fact, until Bush, I never voted for a major candidate. I voted for Gore and Kerry, because Bush was the first guy I considered bad enough to vote AGAINST.

In 2008, I guarantee we'll be far worse off than we were in 2000. Not that it's all Bush's fault. Some will be his fault. Some will be just bad luck. Most will be the fault of our idiot legislature.

I would like to point out that every time I complain about the religious right, someone always trys to defend Bush. I never mention Bush. I'm talking about the Dobsons, Bauers, Donohues,Falwells, Robertsons, ...that's who I fear. Bush is just one of their puppets cause that's where the money's coming from.

Christianity is based on a real nice set of simple rules...be nice to each other and do what's morally right. I believe most Christians follow those rules. For that matter so do most of the church leaders. They are not the religious right. The religious right is a small group of evil scumbags who carry out their evil deeds in the name of God. And Christians...good, nice Christians...follow along because they don't know any better.

Likewise, the GOP is built on sound political principles. So sound, that when I was in high school, I was vice-president of the Teen-Age Republicans. I assumed that what they had written on paper was what they stood for, and I was all for it. The GOP gave me a scholorship & flew me to DC. I stood on the White House lawn and waved a lil flag when Bush Sr came back from Poland in July '89. I had a meeting with Lee Atwater & John McCain (still my hero, and we would live in a better country now if the GOP wasn't so dirty and smeared him in 2000).

And then, I started to realize it was all a lie. They SAID they wanted to cut spending, but really they just don't want to spend it on poor people. They have no problem spending it on people who don't need it (Oh, but make sure the middle class pays most of it.) They talk about "freedom", but all they want to do is restrict our freedom. And they cut the political throats of anyone who dares actually stand for what the GOP is supposed to stand for!

I'm sick of all this red state/blue state crap. It's all a lie to keep us arguing, so they can continue to rob us blind and install a theocracy. I live in a supposedly "red" state. We have a liberal democrat, female, by-all-appearances-lesbian governor...and people love her for the most part. We consistantly vote to relax drug laws (not that it does any good.) My city-council passed a resolution against the Patriot Act. (A pointless gesture, but a well meaning one.) We have never had to contend with a school board that suggests that maybe science is a bad thing. We, for the most part, try to keep our noses out of other peoples sexuality and religion. And yet, we (not I, but "we") voted for Bush. I'm willing to give my fellow voters the benefit of the doubt and say they were bamboozled. For the most part, my neighbors make sense. They usually do what's right. But the GOP pulled the wool over their eyes. So now we're a "red" state. And California's a "blue" state, even though they somehow voted Arnold in. And New York's a "blue" state, even though they elected a mayor who felt he had to SWITCH to the GOP in order to get elected. And Ohio...OHIO is now somehow a "red" state. Ohio is a UNION state full of POOR people. But hey, Diebold is located there, so now Ohio is "red".

Americans will do what's right if you educate them and give them a choice...

...and that's why we need stuff like FSTV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts