Dish HD VOD on 612

Dish VIP

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
Reno DMA
Hi. I recently set up my parents with a 612 and a 722. After a week, the 722 has 4 Dish-on-demand movies listed all with the HD watermark. The 612 has about 12 movies available, but none in HD.

My question is will the 612 be getting HD VOD movies in the future, or is this exclusive only to the 722?????????????

What Movies and more? So Movies on Demand, Well if you want HD in that ,My guess HD PPV. again if you were connected to the internet Channel 501 has 17 VOD options as well as 1080p VOD.

I thought I asked this as simple as possible. Let me try to restate!

722: 4 movies on demand all HD.
612:12 movies on demand, none HD.
Question: Will the 612 have HD movies on demand in the future?

Last edited:
Let's see if we can sort all this out. The OP is asking about the new 1080p VOD that you access through Ch 501. he is not asking about PPV channels or DISHOnline.

It seems that so far at least very few 612s or 622s have the movies available.

As for an example of the HD movies available I Am Legend is one.

This may not answer the original question but hopefully it eliminates the confusion.

Let's see if we can sort all this out. The OP is asking about the new 1080p VOD that you access through Ch 501. he is not asking about PPV channels or DISHOnline.

No, I'm not asking about 1080p VOD, that is incorrect. Not PPV. Not DishOnline. Just Movies-on-Demand! Menu>9>2.

I know, I'm asking you whats the names of the movies playing in HD?

Current Movies-on-Demand listed on the 722 are:

College Road Trip (HD)
Step up 2 the Streets (HD)
Stop-Loss (HD)
The Bank Job (HD)
Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns (HD)

The 612 has the same Movies-on-Demand listed plus 7 more but none of them in HD.

Even Mr. G seems to be stumped on this one!

Current Movies-on-Demand listed on the 722 are:

College Road Trip (HD)
Step up 2 the Streets (HD)
Stop-Loss (HD)
The Bank Job (HD)
Tyler Perry's Meet the Browns (HD)

The 612 has the same Movies-on-Demand listed plus 7 more but none of them in HD.

Even Mr. G seems to be stumped on this one!

I have the 612 and I have the option for I am Legend. So yes the 612 does receive the HD movies. I am liking the 612 more and more.

No, I'm not asking about 1080p VOD, that is incorrect. Not PPV. Not DishOnline. Just Movies-on-Demand! Menu>9>2.

I am sorry I guess I did not help after all. I thought that the movies there were exactly the same ones as those on Ch. 501. They are for me but perhaps that is not true for all.

What Movies and more? So Movies on Demand, Well if you want HD in that ,My guess HD PPV. again if you were connected to the internet Channel 501 has 17 VOD options as well as 1080p VOD.

I don't think internet is required for channel 501/Movies-on-demand, only the DishOnline stuff.

I am sorry I guess I did not help after all. I thought that the movies there were exactly the same ones as those on Ch. 501. They are for me but perhaps that is not true for all.

Actually, you are 100% correct! Channel 501 VOD movies are the same as the ones listed in Movies-on-demand, except for the one 1080p "I am Legend" movie.

You guys are helping very much so. However, I still maintain that the 612 is not offering the VOD movies in HD that the 722 is.

Based on what Hemi is saying, I checked the program guide on both units. Now I see on the 722 that the movies listed in HD on the Movies-on-Demand page are the same ones that are in the guide as channel 501. So that part is true with the 722. When I choose the "All HD" guide on the 722, there are six channel 501's, and yes they one-to-one correspond to what is listed on the Movies-on-Demand interactive application, with the exception of the "I am Legend" 1080p. So, this is a new discovery for me which is in total agreement with what y'all are trying to tell me.

Now when I check the 612 "All HD" guide for channel 501 movies, only 1 is offered, that being the "I am Legend" 1080p. There are no other HD VOD movies offered on the 612 in either the program guide 501 channels or the Movies-on-Demand interactive application.

That brings us to my original question which is: "Why on the 722 and not the 612?" Lets get to the bottom of this! We can start by asking this: Does anyone, on a VIP612 DVR, have VOD movies available in HD other than "I am Legend" listed either as a channel 501 or as a movie-on-demand?

What difference does it make if its in HD? You asked about HD movies. Tell us what movie do you want to watch in HD then On Dishnetwork?

It makes all the difference in the world. Let's say I want to put the 612 on the biggest TV in the house (Which I do). Let's say I want to watch "The Bank Job" and I want to watch it in HD only (Which I do). Problem is the HD showing of that movie is not available on the 612 but IS available on the 722. This is unacceptable to me especially since this is supposedly a HD only package, namely TurboHD Silver w/o top 200 SD add-on.

That's where I say "whoa", why is it in HD on the 722 and not the 612? Is the 612 not capable of doing that? Shouldn't it be the same on both? Will the 612 in the future offer VOD movies in HD? Why did Dish Network bother with such a unit? Why didn't I take two 722's instead of 1 722 and 1 612? Arrrgh!

They are . You did help. This guy Just wants them to show up in a certain area , Well sorry It doesn't work that way.

Yes, it DOES work that way, my friend! This is true on both 612 and 722. The only glaring difference being the 722 movies are HD but the 612 movies are not. This guy (me) wants HD VOD/Movies-on-Demand on the 612!! That is the core of my complaint.

Last edited:
Well, I finally got the scoop on this HD VOD and the 612 thing from an excellent tech support person at Dish Network! No, I'm not crazy about my concern. In fact the tech rep said I was one of the brightest customers he's ever talked with!

I'm gonna leave y'all hanging for awhile while I get some sleep. Then I will start a new thread explaining the whole situation. Scott Greczkowski, you're gonna love this! Everyone else who uses this site and has a 612 will benefit from this info as well. Only on satelliteguys.us will you find ALL the answers!

As a little teaser, I will mention now that my folks' 612 has software version L6.01.
In the meantime, it would be cool if anyone speculates about what the hell I'm talking about on this thread!

See y'all in a few hours!;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)