DISH Hopper coming at CES ?

Maybe I missed this earlier in the thread, but do you need a Joey to view programming off the hopper or can you view programming off the hopper alone? For example, I would need the ability to watch 3 things at once. Would I be able to get away with 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey.
Thanks,
Chad

Okay I read that DIRECTV is charging PER tv for their fancy 5 tuner dvr . Each tv is $6.00 and the Tv has to be a Samsung tv with special software to work with the receiver. SO I can see DISH charging $6.00 - $7.00 per 110 unit or the Joey unit. Also if this 813 Xip Hopper unit has SLING built in like the 922 and the same guides, channel logos etc, I can see that this receiver will have a $10.00 Dvr fee too. So already the costs for this unit will be as high if not higher than the present system of Vip series of receivers I already have. I pay $20.00 a month in fees: for two 211k receivers + dvr software :$14.00 and the dvr fee is $6.00= $20.00. I can see for 3 extra tvs after the main one 3 X $7.00= $21.00 + the dvr /sling fee of $10.00 + $31.00 a month in fees , before programming is added in.

Like the concept of recording all the locals during primetime ,because we watch a lot of primetime shows and that is what takes up my 4 tuners(2 sat/2ota) on my 722k now. But I can see the extra fees making this out of range of my budget. But I am just speculating on the price of the fees. Knowing DISH I 'm sure it will be much higher .:rolleyes:

I have had a Direct HR34 for about 2 weeks with 3 extra HD TV's. The HR34 can play to any other HD compatible stb with DECA (their ethernet over coax), there is no need for a special TV. The first tuner is free so I am paying $6 additional for each of the 3 stb's. Each stb is also independent of the HR34, so in the event of a failure of the HR34 I can use them as a regular HD tuner.

I am able to record 5 channels simultaneously and have up to 3 client streams at once besides each client stb being its own tuner. All of my stb's have DECA built in so I don't need any external adapters, I am using just 1 coax per box. Multiple HR34's can be networked within the home over existing coax. All of the streams are HD.

It will pay for itself quickly in the time it saves in new installs, the cost of only having one hard drive in the house (instead of one in each room), the savings for not having to wire all new coax (you seen copper prices lately?) and so on.
We're talking about two different things. I'm filled with angst over diverting time and monies towards promoting a software product (Prime Time Anytime) that I think will be of very limited attraction and application and you're talking about whole home DVR.

I am able to record 5 channels simultaneously and have up to 3 client streams at once besides each client stb being its own tuner. All of my stb's have DECA built in so I don't need any external adapters, I am using just 1 coax per box. Multiple HR34's can be networked within the home over existing coax. All of the streams are HD.
This may be the way things ultimately go down, but the promise of the HR34 was that you wouldn't need terminal boxes anymore and that's not the way it is shaking out.

We'll have to see how DISH charges for the setup to see how it really compares with the HMC.

At this point, you can't do RVU without one of the enabled Samsung TVs. The lion's share of Samsung TVs don't support RVU! The only other CE company with a stake in RVU is LG and they've been completely mum on the topic.

To suggest that you can use whatever display you have or want is misleading.

I would also point out that at this time, there is only one RVU certified device (Pace C30) and it is not available to the public.

I have a Direct HR34 installed and working in my home for the last two weeks because I am a new customer from cable. I have a H25 HD stb hooked up to an old 19" Magnavox in the kitchen that only has line input and it can play any recording or initiate any recording from my HR34. For me, I don't see the benefit of an RVU device since if the HR34 failed I would be without tv. If it fails right now, I still can watch since it is its own tuner. I believe the pricing per tv is the same because they are charging per client. The HR34 does requires HD clients or else the client will not work. That is why my old Magnavox has a HD stb besides if it dies any tv I replace it with will be HD.

If this has built-in sling after all, does that render the 922 obsolete (for those of us who never quite made the plunge). I am not particularly interested in having client rooms with joeys, but I am interested in slinging to my ipad on the patio for instance which is why I have been eyeing the 922 for some time now.

With an OTA it's three assuming it has OTA. Recording all the networks certainly makes more than two tuners less needed though for the vast majority of people......
If no OTA tuner I would lose the sub channels that I get now to be able to record. Still have to sort out what the real benefits are, but as someone said certainly sounds intriguing.

But I'm understanding that the 3rd sat tuner will only be used for primetime anytime, whether an OTA tuner is included or not?

OTA tuners via USB.

So, no OTA tuner(s)?

Can you record your locals on the 3rd tuner when it's not being used for Primetime, then?

So, no OTA tuner(s)?

Can you record your locals on the 3rd tuner when it's not being used for Primetime, then?

There was talk of a USB External OTA tuner back in May, but not sure if thats still in the cards or not.

And yes you can use the 3rd tuner for anything when its not recording Prime Time stuff. :)

Why is this better than the Directv HR34 setup. They sound the same to me.

I guess we'll have to wait for all the details, but at first glance, the HR34 seems a better approach. While Primetime Anytime is a neat hook, I don't see it overcoming the additional tuner capacity that the HR34 has. Three tuners isn't enough for a household with adults and kids. Adding a second Hopper is likely to be expensive, both in upfront costs and fees.

There was talk of a USB External OTA tuner back in May, but not sure if thats still in the cards or not.

And yes you can use the 3rd tuner for anything when its not recording Prime Time stuff. :)

There can be an issue here. OTA includes many channels not included on the satellite feeds. There has to be a way to record OTA or the product is missing out on a large faction of viewers.

I have had a Direct HR34 for about 2 weeks with 3 extra HD TV's. The HR34 can play to any other HD compatible stb with DECA (their ethernet over coax), there is no need for a special TV. The first tuner is free so I am paying $6 additional for each of the 3 stb's. Each stb is also independent of the HR34, so in the event of a failure of the HR34 I can use them as a regular HD tuner.

I read this information straight off the Directv website under the receiver section. They were talking about the home media center HD dvr. I don't know about the model number , but I don't think that it is the one you talk about. . They say it is only available for new subs and regular customers would be able to get it in early 2012. They clearly talk about RVU software to be able to use it withOUT an extra receiver in other rooms and that all extra tvs have to have this software. Presently only three models of the Samsung tvs have the software.

It doesn't record from OTA, it records your HD locals coming off Satellite.

Meaning it won't record off of the ota tuner you could add via usb? IN previous discussions about the Xip 813 /110 units we spent a lot of time discussing the ota tuner option. Are you saying now we won't be able to have ota now? No ota tuner or option to add them and this receiver idea will be a non starter for me.

Meaning it won't record off of the ota tuner you could add via usb? IN previous discussions about the Xip 813 /110 units we spent a lot of time discussing the ota tuner option. Are you saying now we won't be able to have ota now?

I have heard nothing about OTA USB support since May. That does not mean its not going to be supported.

We will find out on Monday. :)

Don't get me wrong, I think this is great news, and an exciting product, but are we really going to have a whole new series of receivers that support Blockbuster on Demand before we get it on the 922?
This is getting ridiculous.