DISH Hopper coming at CES ?

Looks like a great product but pricing will dictate demand. Discounted cost of first 6 recording box of say $15 month along with $ 4 lease slave box or mabe a $75-120 price to own with no monthly fees for the slaved box as it will not be a real sat box would put dish back in the game of lowest price in town.

Prime Time is a nice touch to compete with the cable co 24 hr viewing that uses the 2 way system and stores the programs at the local office and not on users set top box, much like the Dish iptv box that users can watch any program for 48hrs as its not a true dvr.

Bring it on

I read this information straight off the Directv website under the receiver section. They were talking about the home media center HD dvr. I don't know about the model number , but I don't think that it is the one you talk about. . They say it is only available for new subs and regular customers would be able to get it in early 2012. They clearly talk about RVU software to be able to use it withOUT an extra receiver in other rooms and that all extra tvs have to have this software. Presently only three models of the Samsung tvs have the software.

I have the home media center HD dvr which is the HR34. It supports two types of clients: (1) a HD stb compatible with DECA (ethernet over coax) (2) a RVU compatible TV. It can support up to 15 clients with 3 independent streams in addition to the built in 5 tuners per HR34. I have even tried playing one movie on two separate tv's at two different points in the movie simultaneously and it works.

From what I have been able to gather, Direct is charging a monthly fee per "client". It is likely the RVU tv would be subject to the same monthly fee I am currently paying for any receiver beyond the first one. Since the monthly costs would be the same per client it doesn't interest me. My H25 stb's are wall mountable and substantially smaller than the previous models. I guess the other advantage would be not requiring another switch with a RVU tv if I went over the 8 tuner limit of my current lnb switch, I could just keep adding RVU compatible tv's until I got up to the 15 client limit.

Edited: I just looked up RVU specification and it appears the specification allows live TV viewing also. I don't know if the HR34 implements that part of the protocol since I don't have a RVU tv. It would have to steal a tuner from the HR34 as needed since it wouldn't have its own. That makes the extra general purpose tuners all the more important if you are planning on using RVU tv's.

Last edited:
Three tuners isn't enough for a household with adults and kids.

I think for the overwhelming majority three will do just fine, Uverse maxes out at "3.5" and is doing pretty well. At least with Dish we should have the option of adding another Hopper. Don't get me wrong, I'd still prefer another tuner or two.

But we need to keep in mind this is a paradigm shift in Dish installations. IF they get Hopper/Joey out with stable software, then releasing an "XIP 815 Hopper 2" could be a next step, and probably a relatively minor and drama free step.

Hopefully, D*'s HR34 will help in keeping the cost of a second Hopper manageable, but they aren't going to give it away.

Judging by the amount of grousing about Locals not beings in some areas, watching Broadcast channels is not as rare as some posters have stated.

I watch a lot of Broadcast TV. Not all 12 hours (4x3) every night but it takes some real juggling to get the programs I want when, say three, happen in the same time slot. And then there is the juggling when a couple networks want to be funny by shifting their programming back a few minutes, just enough to make shifting from one program to the next one on a different channel in the next hour slot, a problem.

As far as I am concerned, during the Prime Time hours, the XiP813 has effectively 6 tuners, four broadcast plus two more. That is some technology.

As for all the naysayers that are broken records when it comes to Dish delivering new technology, like citing what was not delivered with the VIP922, or "soon": I don't remember Dish making a web site announcement of the 922 or any other technology previously. By the nature that the web site will be there on the 10th gives me a lot more belief that the XiP813 Hopper will be there with the functionality discussed. JMHO

Yeah, well, I don't need my locals much for primetime network TV, just my local news and sports. :p

AN OTHER CES QUESTION:

any chance they could EXTEND the Prime time recording so the local News is also recorded

Yeah, well, I don't need my locals much for primetime network TV, just my local news and sports. :p
Just shows how there is never a one size solution. I honestly can't remember the last time I watched any local news for more than 5 minutes.

I don't watch a lot of local TV, but it is often the source of timer conflicts that "primetime anytime" would cure. Especially so during the fall and mid season premier times when checking out the new batch of stuff. Often I never watch more than the first episode or two of a new program, but I usually try to check out any new show that has more than a passing interest.

All I ever wanted was a satellite receiver module similar to the OTA receiver module for the 722k/922 to add one or two more satellite receivers. It seemed like it would have been easy to do and cheap. It would have given Dish two 3 or 4 satellite HD receiver-DVR's to market. But if it works the dump now/parse later multiple channel off one transponder recording system is an innovation.

The Hopper system sounds like cool technology, but I guess Dish did a whole bunch of marketing research that indicated it was losing out by not having a whole house system. I fear that Dish will enter this market with a splash just as the generation that has their nose in tablets and smart phones starts to get some money. I'm sure they will want to buy extra TV's so they can break all the habits they've developed and plant their bodies in a way that makes them immobile.

As for all the naysayers that are broken records when it comes to Dish delivering new technology, like citing what was not delivered with the VIP922, or "soon": I don't remember Dish making a web site announcement of the 922 or any other technology previously. By the nature that the web site will be there on the 10th gives me a lot more belief that the XiP813 Hopper will be there with the functionality discussed. JMHO
While that may be true there has been no shortage over the years of Dish announcing upcoming products/features at public events like CES and Team Summits that failed to fully materialize. Dish is not alone in this regard, but to say they have never announced them is not true...

While that may be true there has been no shortage over the years of Dish announcing upcoming products/features at public events like CES and Team Summits that failed to fully materialize. Dish is not alone in this regard, but to say they have never announced them is not true...

I am still waiting for the DishDVD Receiver. :D

I don't know if the "losing out" was due to no whole house system, but having every dual-tuner model limited to only one HD output definitely was hindering.

I haven't read the entire thread, so sorry if it was reported. I haven't seen it.

When the primetime shows are recorded, will I have the ability to archive selected shows to a folder so they don't get auto-deleted after 7 days?
Very often we fall behind a series and catchup later.

I haven't read the entire thread, so sorry if it was reported. I haven't seen it.

When the primetime shows are recorded, will I have the ability to archive selected shows to a folder so they don't get auto-deleted after 7 days?
Very often we fall behind a series and catchup later.

As far as I know... YES :)

Those of us that are in grandfathered plans without locals might think twice about moving to Hopper. I'd expect that having locals in your plan will be a requirement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)