Dish Hopper/Joey moca doesnt work for me. D*?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

qposner

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
I had Dish with one Hopper and one Joey for a year until I moved. Added a second Joey when I moved to my bedroom. Since then, nothing but 1303 and 1305 codes with the bedroom Joey searching for the Hopper. The techs have been out here way too many times the last month and cannot figure it out. Lines and fitting check out. Have replaced Joey and Hopper. Still no solution. Anyhow, Im going to cancel and either go to Comcast X1 or DTV. I do NOT want to go to Comcast, but will if I will have the same issues with DTV Genie and Genie minis. Anyhow have any idea? This is a brand new house and the lines are NOT the issue. Confirmed by Dish techs. Thanks!

first off do not get a mini genie, there is no tuner, therefore worthless
go with a h24/h25 for a normal unit or hr24 for a dvr unit

you can still watch recordings from the genie with either unit

as to weather you will have the same issue, cant answer that.
there may be an issue with the wiring even though they could not find it, and its new
if the wires are in the walls a drywall screw may have went through one
maybe new wires will help

Agreed,you can have up 2 8 tuners without having to have an external multiswitch(SWM 16) installed. So your set-up under that scenario can be the 5 tuner Genie(hopefully the HR44),2 tuner HR24 HD DVR,& either the H25 HD Receiver(which,like the HR44,is SWM only set-up,powered by an external brick,& in the case of the H25,you need an external dongle to be able to use component cable,& an external antenna to use the remote in RF mode),or the H24 HD receiver,which allows more flexibility for set-up. I have both the H25 & H24 & frankly I like them both. The H25 is smaller & can be hidden,attached to the wall(with wall mounting bracket),or attached behind your TV. Unlike the Mini Client,the H24/25 cannot mirror what's on the Genie,but under whole home DVR,the H24/25 can see the recordings of the Genie & HR24,& the Genie & HR24 can see each other's recordings(I guess like how 2 Hoppers on the same system can see each others recordings,but are not integrated to set recordings for each other).

Thanks. The bedroom tv is wall mounted and I currently have a Joey mounted behind it. There is no room for anything larger than the Joey. I assumed the Genie mini would work the same as a Joey. Is that incorrect?

it should, but the h25 could also go behind it

DIRECTV H25 Reciever Dimensions: Width 8.66" Height 1.12" Depth 5.75"
The Joey weighs 0.7 pounds and is 6.62" x 1.69" x 5.27."
Genie Mini (Model C41) Dimensions Height: 1in, Width: 7in, Depth, 4.5in

Excellent! Sounds like 2 H25's for the living room and bedroom and 1 Genie for the media room should get it done for me. Whole home DVR is what I am looking for.

BTW - Does this system rely on Moca as well?

Thanks!

I would go with the Genie and C41 minis........ While the H25 is nice you get the same capabilities of the Genie on the Minis....... When you get a chance I would check the F connectors in the wall plates and see if they are low frequency gray/white ones or hi frequency blue/orange inserts..... I've seen all to often those gray/white ones cause signal issues over the years......

SIG

I would go with the Genie and C41 minis........ While the H25 is nice you get the same capabilities of the Genie on the Minis....... When you get a chance I would check the F connectors in the wall plates and see if they are low frequency gray/white ones or hi frequency blue/orange inserts..... I've seen all to often those gray/white ones cause signal issues over the years......

SIG

Already done. They are the blue ones. Why do you recommend the mini over the H25? Basically, I want to be able to control live tv with pause, rewind, etc and access the Genie dvr from the mini or H25. What are the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other.

Thanks!

to control live tv with an h25, you have to hit the record button first
its an extra step some people dont want to take
its worth it imho for the tuner
and if the genie ever goes out, you still have a tuner

Excellent! Sounds like 2 H25's for the living room and bedroom and 1 Genie for the media room should get it done for me. Whole home DVR is what I am looking for.

BTW - Does this system rely on Moca as well?

Thanks!
If you can,you should go with a Genie,a HR24 HD DVR,& a H25 HD receiver. Like said before,you cannot pause live TV with a H25,you have to initiate a recording of what you are watching with either the Genie,or,if you do get one,a HR24. Both the HR24 & H25 will cost only $6.00(or is it $7.00 now? I'm too lazy right now to check my bill) each. Unlike Dish,the price is the same for both the HR24 & H25.

Do you have an old wireless phone, 4G phone, or a cel tower somewhat (.5 mi or less) away? A single loose connector or a exposed wire can introduce noise in the Muti-room DVR band that Dish uses, causing the hopper to break communication with the joeys and eventually orphaning them. I would terminate every open port in the house your not using, unplug the power for 5 minutes to the hopper and joeys, then plug in JUST the hopper, let it fully boot up, then boot up one at a time the joeys to try and get them back on line.

Not to be a stickler, but neither Dish nor Direct are technically MoCA systems. MoCA is a specific system that uses channels for communication and data transfer that start at 1125 MHz up to 1675 MHz. Dish and Direct are proprietary systems using around 2-5 MHz in Direct, and around 840 MHz for Dish. They are not MoCA compliant or compatible. They are just Multi-Room DVR systems.

to control live tv with an h25, you have to hit the record button first
its an extra step some people dont want to take
its worth it imho for the tuner
and if the genie ever goes out, you still have a tuner

This is far from a substitute for DVR functions. I actually didn't think you were being serious. I used to do this to get my OTA AM21 channels on my second TV, and it was beyond inconvenient. The client is far better. I pay for DVR service. I want DVR service on all TVs...

This is far from a substitute for DVR functions. I actually didn't think you were being serious. I used to do this to get my OTA AM21 channels on my second TV, and it was beyond inconvenient. The client is far better. I pay for DVR service. I want DVR service on all TVs...

you also pay an access fee for the client, same fee you pay for an h25 or an hr unit
the lack of a tuner, it should be free
yout paying more and getting less

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts