DISH HOPPER SPEC SHEETS

Ok if you know what the majrotiy wants there where are your numbers? Or are you just spewing crap?
3rd Quarter results Down 111,000 subscribers.

Been declining. Directv added over 1 million. Do we really want to get in to this. Dish cut one of the biggest citys in the USA right off at the knees. Tell me again how a new receiver with I'm sure fee'd out the wad zoo, will make any bit of dfference.

And how are those numbers showing how many tuners a customer wants?

Again your spewing out garbage with zero facts.

Remember that Trolling is against the rules here so please consider this your warning.

It could be a geek thing! :)

But if you have say 2 722s, that's 4 SAT tuners and 2 OTA tuners available, but they can't see each other. That could make managing recordings a PITA. Actually for me, it does make it a PITA with my 2 HR24s in my viewing room. No unified todo list at all, so you have to plan what records where. Not a huge thing, but still there and with 2 722s with Dish, the same problem exists and even worse because they can't share at all.

With the Hopper/Joey solution, everything is everywhere. Yes, you are limited at first by no OTA, so you are down to 6 tuners, same as a pair of 722s, but you can set up recordings and view them from anywhere in the house that is part of the sat network. And if the PTA has value to you, you have even the effect of more tuners during that period of time.

So maybe not so much geek. But it all depends on how much the sharing is worth, whether PTA has value to your installation and having a way to set recordings from anywhere that are then viewable anywhere.
Just wanted to say thanks for a legitimate response.

A couple 722s would give you 2 HD and 2 SD feeds to your TVs, with the DVR content separated between the boxes. A hopper and 3 joeys would give you HD on all 4 TVs, 3 tuners, and integrated DVR on all of them. Plus you can get a 2nd hopper and 3 more joeys and have 8 TVs with HD and 6 tuners, all fully integrated as one whole home system.
Again thanks for the legit response!

OH stop.
I know everyone is bound to think its perfect here. Lets hear why?

I want to hear why someone would give up 2 722's for this?

Perfect? No. A good solution? Yes.

I have 2 722s serving four rooms. I am likely to go with one Hopper and 3 Joeys if I stay with Dish. Is it conceivable we might actually have to make a choice on what we watch occasionally - yes. No big deal. If it's ever a problem I can always add a hopper.

I will evaluate D* as well now that both companies have their new stuff available. Tuners won't be the deciding factor.

I have tried UVerse and dumped it.

I will never consider cable again. Sat is much more reliable than the local comcast. I am in an upgraded, relatively affluent area where I'm sure most homes have upper tier packages and premiums. They should have the revenue to do what is needed, yet they can't go any extended period without issues.

I have 2 722s serving four rooms. I am likely to go with one Hopper and 3 Joeys if I stay with Dish. Is it conceivable we might actually have to make a choice on what we watch occasionally - yes. No big deal. If it's ever a problem I can always add a hopper.

That's exactly what I'm looking at as well.

I asked this question before, but cant find the post. So, sorry for repeating. Will current "dish" configurations work? I live in the EA zone, but due to line of site I have use the WA birds. I also have to use a wing dish to get 129, again because of line of site issues. Will I be ok?

Actually, FWIW, I will probably stick with my two ViP722s and NOT move to the Hopper system. But of course, that decision is some time off and will depend upon pricing and other matters. Certainly, some features are appealing. But we're happy with our current setup.

What some people don't realize is not one company is perfect for everyone. I'm looking forward to the Hopper/Joey as well as my wife as she will now be able to watch her recordings in our bedroom too.

Studies have shown that MOST people don't use more then 2 tuners in their house at any one time. For the majority of people 3 tuners is more then enough. (We are geeks and are not in the majority) :)

<snip>

From a business standpoint I think DISH is making a smart decision in keeping costs down by giving the customer just a little more then they need yet having an option available to expand things if a customer needs more.

exactly, a lot of two receiver or more households will be able to simplify to just one hopper. That's a lot less equipment to provide for customers.

hopefully those cost savings get passed onto us in their "aggressive" price strategy. If that happens, then that should quiet down a lot of doubts pretty quick.

No PIP on Joey, this is something used often by my wife and myself on both her 722k and my 722, so it might be a deal killer for us.
Dan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts