DISH Makes offer to buy Sprint (Rescinded)

They did not do what many thought they were going to do, because they had no plans to do so. Blockbuster was already in the ground (bankrupt) when Dish acquired them. Instead of trying to resurrect the dead, they picked the carcass clean and discarded (sold off) the rest. The Sprint situation is a completely different scenario, there is no correlation to be made from one to the other.

I don't think you can forecast the future anymore than I can . At this point your speculation of what will happen is no more likely than my speculation . As Doris Day always said Que Sera, Sera, what ever will be will be , the future's not ours to see , Que Sera ,Sera...;)

I kinda of hope dish wins. But I think SoftBank will in the end. Sprint hasn't put the vote on hold or anything and the deal has been approved by regulators already. Once the share holder vote happens and they approve I think dish will have lost the battle. It's sad sprint isn't giving them the chance they deserve.

Posted from my iPhone.

I think you're right. I don't see DISH getting taken seriously either for their bid either. Charlie has a reputation in the industry, and it isn't great, and I think that reputation precedes him in his dealings with Sprint.

I think you're right. I don't see DISH getting taken seriously either for their bid either. Charlie has a reputation in the industry, and it isn't great, and I think that reputation precedes him in his dealings with Sprint.

Charlie is a smart man. But you are right his reputation is hurting the deal as well as bringing down dish. I can only hope he will take a step back if they don't win over sprint and let dish spread its wings. He needs to stop holding them back.

Posted from my iPhone.

I don't think you can forecast the future anymore than I can . At this point your speculation of what will happen is no more likely than my speculation . As Doris Day always said Que Sera, Sera, what ever will be will be , the future's not ours to see , Que Sera ,Sera...;)
That's fine that it's speculation, but to use the prior actions with Blockbuster as a basis for the Sprint speculation is completely irrelevant.

It looks like his past may now be coming back to haunt him and may have caught up with him. His past could have really bit him on the butt this time. I wonder if he would have changed anything if he could knowing it may cost him a Sprint deal.

It looks like his past may now be coming back to haunt him and may have caught up with him. His past could have really bit him on the butt this time. I wonder if he would have changed anything if he could knowing it may cost him a Sprint deal.

If he was interested in Sprint, why get in the game so late? The time to jump in was before the gears started to turn for the SB approval and shareholders focused on the target. That's not to say they still can't be successful. They can always up their ante if need be. He may not actually want Sprint outright and is just interested in leveraging some tower real estate. He also could have gone after Clearwire with a winning campaign some time back and really put Dish in a catbird seat. They seem to show up late at parties.

Didn't he try for Clearwire- and lose?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Listen, if Charlie has/had a vision of where he wants Dish to be, do you honestly thinks Direct TV, Comcast, Disney and especially the federal government(just to name a few) is just going sit back and allow him to do it? I'm sorry but reality is harsh, your competitors will not want you to succeed. For those of you who watched the Charlie interview on All Things D, he even said he showed the networks where they could make more ad money for doing less ad time. Their response was basically this is how "we" do it and this is how we will continue to do business. I have personally ran into people/businesses that work this way.

So Charlie may have a plan and sees an opportunity to put a piece of that plan together,but by the time he gets an approval the plan collapses.

Listen, if Charlie has/had a vision of where he wants Dish to be, do you honestly thinks Direct TV, Comcast, Disney and especially the federal government(just to name a few) is just going sit back and allow him to do it? I'm sorry but reality is harsh, your competitors will not want you to succeed. For those of you who watched the Charlie interview on All Things D, he even said he showed the networks where they could make more ad money for doing less ad time. Their response was basically this is how "we" do it and this is how we will continue to do business. I have personally ran into people/businesses that work this way.

So Charlie may have a plan and sees an opportunity to put a piece of that plan together,but by the time he gets an approval the plan collapses.

That PILE pretty much takes the cake. :rolleyes:

DISH has asked the FCC to stop the review of Softbanks purchase of Sprint...

Dish Network Corp asked U.S. regulators on Thursday to stop reviewing SoftBank Corp's <9984.T> proposed acquisition of Sprint Nextel Corp's , citing the Japanese company's reported attempt to thwart its bid for the U.S. wireless carrier.

The request follows a Reuters report on May 10 that SoftBank asked several Wall Street investment banks not to finance Dish's $25.5 billion offer for Sprint by saying such a move could hurt their chances of getting a piece of the public offering of Chinese e-commerce company Alibaba Group Holding Ltd . SoftBank owns 33 percent of Alibaba.

"If SoftBank has the power to influence crucial financing decisions of a Chinese company and enlist those decisions in the service of its effort to acquire Sprint, then the proposed foreign ownership needs to be assessed in light of this Chinese company as well," DISH said in the letter to the Federal Communications Commission.

"SoftBank is trying to force its offer on Sprint's shareholders by underhandedly seeking to undermine a superior bid," Dish wrote.

Read more: http://www.foxbusiness.com/news/201...end-review-softbank-sprint-bid/#ixzz2TV9IQNOF

Sprint asked the FCC to stop the review on the AT&T tmobile deal and they didn't. Yes the deal feel thru but for other reasons. I don't see the FCC stoping the review of the sprint SoftBank deal.

Posted from my iPhone.

The request follows a Reuters report on May 10 that SoftBank asked several Wall Street investment banks not to finance Dish's $25.5 billion offer for Sprint by saying such a move could hurt their chances of getting a piece of the public offering of Chinese e-commerce company Alibaba Group Holding Ltd . SoftBank owns 33 percent of Alibaba.

Sprint asked the FCC to stop the review on the AT&T tmobile deal and they didn't. Yes the deal feel thru but for other reasons. I don't see the FCC stoping the review of the sprint SoftBank deal.
Just because a previous request to stop a review by the FCC was denied has no bearing on whether they will listen in this case. This is a case of blackmail and market manipulation, where one business deal is being hung over the heads of banks if they participate in an unrelated deal.

Just because a previous request to stop a review by the FCC was denied has no bearing on whether they will listen in this case. This is a case of blackmail and market manipulation, where one business deal is being hung over the heads of banks if they participate in an unrelated deal.
It's also entirely legal.

My point was that just because the FCC acted one way with one situation, doesn't mean they will act the same in this case. Two different scenarios, one involving an overseas company influencing two different transactions.

All American Direct/MyDistantLocals

Dish in spat with another provider.