DISH Makes offer to buy Sprint (Rescinded)

"Lulz" actually has a separate meaning entirely. While there is no exact translation, the idea conveyed is more along the lines of schadenfreude. Essentially laughing at the expense of another individual.

I still am waiting for the next Dish move. Will they raise the bid on Clearwire, will they go after T-Mobile, or do something completely unexpected?

Dish seems to be squeezed out of Clearwire as Sprint picked up a lot more support with the last offer.

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/06/25/clearwire-deal-is-a-lesson-in-high-stakes-bidding/?_r=0

Then last week, Sprint not only raised its bid to $5 a share, well above the price that Clearwire’s board was originally urging its shareholders to accept, but also locked up almost a majority of the outstanding shares. Seven funds holding 45 percent of the shares needed to approve the deal have now agreed to vote for the deal or otherwise sell to Sprint. This basically blocks out Dish and makes its pursuit of Clearwire hopeless.

some discussion of Ergen's options in this t-mobile/Dish article:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-25/dish-t-mobile-bid-seen-as-ergen-s-last-resort-real-m-a.html

No. I'll be a Verizon Fios customer, most likely.

I just got a Hopper system. I love the EHDs, Anywhere and Transfer functions. I'm concerned about those going away or being charged for. I prefer the Hopper system to the Genie, but IF I have to change and lose my EHD recordings, I might as well go with Fios video service as well. Be a LOT of recordings to be done off those EHDs.

I just got a Hopper system. I love the EHDs, Anywhere and Transfer functions. I'm concerned about those going away or being charged for. I prefer the Hopper system to the Genie, but IF I have to change and lose my EHD recordings, I might as well go with Fios video service as well. Be a LOT of recordings to be done off those EHDs.
You would have to wonder if ATT bought Dish, what would they do with the satellites? My guess you would just be making out your bill to a different company. If Directv bought them out would be the interesting part.

I agree, hate to bring up the old bit of "merger" as we all know that has been discussed many times. I thought though it was mentioned in the past that Dish's equipment would work if such a merger did happen??

For sure would not like to be connected with ATT :(

I agree, hate to bring up the old bit of "merger" as we all know that has been discussed many times. I thought though it was mentioned in the past that Dish's equipment would work if such a merger did happen??

For sure would not like to be connected with ATT :(
I don't think ATT would mess with it. My guess they would just take over operations and make improvements they feel is required. Remember ATT is not available even close to everywhere. Buying Dishnetwork would fix that issue . I would rather have ATT in charge of Dish then see dish in charge of T-Moble. I hate to say it but most of Dishnetworks issues is its Management !

If a merger with Sprint happened, maybe yea!, That was exciting, now its survival for Dish.

I disagree,Dish still has quite a bit of wireless spectrum,they also have shown the ability to raise the funds when they want to buy something.If they don't get T-mobile they might sell o the spectrum and buy dtv.I'm sure Charlie won't go quietly.

I don't think ATT would mess with it. My guess they would just take over operations and make improvements they feel is required. Remember ATT is not available even close to everywhere. Buying Dishnetwork would fix that issue . I would rather have ATT in charge of Dish then see dish in charge of T-Moble. I hate to say it but most of Dishnetworks issues is its Management !

That would make me leave dish in a New York minute.ATT undoubtedly has the worst customer service in the US.You think Dish is bad now?If ATT got it it would be worse,a lot worse.

I have AT&T cell service, no problem. I have Verizon Fios land line and Internet service, no problem.

But I suspect if AT&T bought Dish, there'd be a squeeze for profits like we've never seen, to "pay the way." More fees, such as Dish Anywhere Access fee, etc. Enough is enough, unless I win the lottery BIG TIME.

I've got close to 2 years on my contract. I doubt much will happen in that time frame. But if things look bad, I can minimize my Dish subscription, record like mad from EHDs to DVD/BD or even Hauppage. Then with all that, the 100+ BDs/DVDs I haven't watched yet, and the Roku, OTA and Amazon Prime, I can probably subsist quite nicely cutting the cord. Or getting the minimum Fios video package. And there's still Red Box.

And did I mention I have hundreds of books, and libraries that loan more books AND DVDs? And friends and family to borrow from? And so many magazine subs I can't read them all today? And that Internet thing, with those time sink forums? ;)

My wife and I have "old fashioned" tastes, so the movies and shows we wish to watch are old and "free" on Amazon Prime. And we get Stargate from BB "free" with our sub to those channels. And if that is cut, they're available on Amazon Prime, which we really get our money's worth out of.

D* buying Dish would likely lead to a phased program to replace Hoppers, etc with D* Genie type equipment, just to minimize support costs and eliminate satellites. Again, if I've got to change, I might as well go with the Fios bundle, which includes some local channels of interest (FFX Cty) and just bit the bullet on lost or SD only channels (which may change by then).

I'm rooting for, and betting on, Charlie to win this one. He seems to have a great vision of what could be provided in the future. Too bad it would break some iron rice bowls, and as such those folks will fight mightily against him.

One can also look at Dish costing Softbank about 6 billion or so, they had to pay more for Sprint and now they (via Sprint) are going to have to pay billions more for Clearwire. If Dish now scoops up T-Mobile they end up with a competitor 6 billion weaker....

Speaking as a former ATT land line,and dsl customer,I can tell you horror stories all day long.ATT swooped in and bought bellsouth,it all went straight to hades in just a few months after the takeover.Having had Dish over just about the same period,I can say customer service was 10 fold better.ATT consistently ranks as one of the worst 10 companies in the US,how anyone could think them getting Dish to be a good thing,is way,way,beyond me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)