Dish Movie Pack: Starz Cinema (353) "replaced" with Starz Kids & Family (356)

Are you happy with Starz Kids & Family as a replacement for Starz Cinema in the Dish Movie Pack?

• Yes

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 22 78.6%

• Total voters

Mojo Jojo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2009
US
So, a few days ago I noticed that Starz Kids and Family (356) was working along with Starz Cinema (353). I noticed on the Dish Movie Pack site (after clicking "At A Glance") that Starz Cinema was no longer listed. However, I thought it was a glitch since HDNet Movies was listed as having an SD channel only.

Well, today I noticed that the Starz Cinema channel pops up with a message saying that I am not subbed to it. Therefore, it appears that Starz Kids and Family is the replacement for the lost channel. I suppose it is better than nothing, and it is in HD. Dish Anywhere still works, but I do not think Starz Play still works probably since an agreement would need to be reached between Dish and Starz.

i hope this agreement with dish and starz would get done we all would appreciate it very much

Can you still access Starz On Demand?

through Dish Anywhere....I would think On Demand still works if one has a receiver with a monthly DVR fee (along with it being connected to high speed Internet).

I am confused why Dish is taking Starz Cinema off of the Dish Movie Pack after it has been in it for a few years. I thought maybe the replacement had something to do with a new agreement, but I suppose that I am wrong about that....I was hoping we would get access to Starz Play, Encore Play, and MoviePlex Play. Yes, I know that one can access it through Dish Anywhere, but I do not really want to watch it on my computer (or even phone if an app was available). I think if Dish Anywhere would be available on the Roku and other platforms it could possibly solve these issues.....However, I am sure the content providers would not be jumping for joy over something like that....

I got a popup for the HBO for $10/month when logging into the account. I figured it would not hurt to try it and HBO Go for the special price. At first, I was afraid to cancel the Movie Pack but was offered to keep it for 1/2 off.

Reactions: salyavin
Perhaps Cinema is part of the Top250? I have that and the movie add-on still have both just checked again.

With one of the main Starz Channel being available for free as part of the Movie Pack, I am guessing many people were not subscribing to Starz since they were getting the good stuff for free.

I imagine this is the reason for the change.

I have Top 250 ,the Movie pack and Starz.
But I'm only paying $12 for the Movie pack and Starz.

So I don't know what's going on, I didn't lose anything.

But I would like to see Movieplex, Starz Cinema, and Starz Black in HD added sometime soon.

With one of the main Starz Channel being available for free as part of the Movie Pack, I am guessing many people were not subscribing to Starz since they were getting the good stuff for free.

I imagine this is the reason for the change.
I wouldn't say it was Free, since a customer was still required to Subscribe to the Movie Pack.

If Dish wasn't paying Starz for the channel to be carried in a package other then it's Suite of Starz channels, well that is beyond the customers knowledge and control.

And since the 3 other Starz owned channels are in the Movie pack already, I doubt Starz Cinema was tossed in as a freebie, Without being informed.
As the others have Stated VOD is still active, then it doesn't matter .

My Guess Starz Kids and Family is in HD, and Starz Cinema isn't.
Dish was probably aloud to pick one of the Starz Channels that wasn't the most popular of the suite and the Picked one that was HD, since after all this Movie pack, was once known as an Additional HD package.

Last edited:
dish needs to add all the starz channels in hd should we not if we are paying for the premiums should we not get those in hd am i right about that?

Reactions: reddice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)