DISH NETWORK AND ECHOSTAR STATEMENT REGARDING TIVO

The sanctions will not be enforced pending the appeal. When Charlie wins on appeal, all the numbers will be smoke blown.

The only real number is the license rate, TiVo wanted $2.25, Charlie conceded $1.50, guess what did the judge say? How about $1.25, the same rate the jury set for the market 4 years ago.

If the judge doesn't understand the facts, it is largely the fault of Echostar for not making sure he understands.

Yup...it was Echostar's job to use bright colored crayons and pretty pictures so that simpleton of a Judge had a clue...lol.

This is the first time I've heard of one party being accountable for the general intelligence, or in this case the lack thereof, of another party... :confused:

The sanctions will not be enforced pending the appeal. When Charlie wins on appeal, all the numbers will be smoke blown.

The only real number is the license rate, TiVo wanted $2.25, Charlie conceded $1.50, guess what did the judge say? How about $1.25, the same rate the jury set for the market 4 years ago.

Actually the judge did the 1.25 plus 1.00 penalty for not complying. TiVo was asking for $9 or 1 billion in damages, they got 2.25 or 200 million. Echostar wanted 25 cents/month/dvr.

what technology has tivo stolen from charlie?:rolleyes:

They are in the process of attempting to do just that...

Charlie has a superior DVR technology, Tivo is claiming they invented it.

They are stealing Echostars right to innovate and build a better mousetrap in the open market. They are attempting to steal Charlies right to grow his business and improve the DVR market thru offering new products.

Given that Tivo has made NO attempt what-so-ever to do the same, than attempting to steal somebody elses right to do so is exactly what they are doing.

And now that this re-examination is taking place, lets just hope the truth is allowed to prevail once and for all so we can ALL enjoy superior DVR technology and not have Tivo force some 'has-been' on us...everybody will be better off.

I still say the Judge who ruled in this case is an idiot and doesn't understand the facts at hand. Tivo is wrong and Echostar is right!

By the direction this whole thing is going, I would almost think it would be better for Charlie to buy Tivo and then go ahead and sue all the other cable providers like Comcast and AT&T that have DVR technology and do the exact same thing to his competition that Tivo did to his company.
Which is it ? You can't have it both ways.... If TiVo is wrong, on what grounds can Dish sue other DVR makers on if Dish were to buy TiVo ?

Actually the judge did the 1.25 plus 1.00 penalty for not complying. TiVo was asking for $9 or 1 billion in damages, they got 2.25 or 200 million. Echostar wanted 25 cents/month/dvr.

You are correct and that was my point.

Both TiVo and E* argued about the reasonable licensing rates at $2.25 and $1.50, respectively. They then each argued for disgorgement of profit, double or treble the damages, and attorney fees, as the forms of sanctions. In doing so TiVo reached as high as nearly $1B, or $650M, E* conceded as high as $360M.

But Judge Folsom used his own logic, locked his reasonable licensing rate at $1.25, calling the extra $1.00 by TiVo, or the $.25 by E*, sanctions. In doing so, a compulsory licensing rate is now set at $1.25.

What that means is, if E* and TiVo were to settle, the highest rate TiVo would get would be $1.25. Because anything higher, E* can ask the court to order a compulsory licensing agreement at $1.25 both E* and TiVo must agreed to as a settlement by the court.

A settlement agreement, whether through consent by both parties, or by court order, will not contain any penalties, only a reasonable licensing rate. As you can see, such low $1.25 rate will not coax Charlie to settle because he had already agreed to a rate of $1.50.

As bad as it may sound, you will find out TiVo will not likely appeal this decision, because TiVo knows they cannot win this appeal. TiVo is only trying to paint as good a picture as they can, for as long as this appeal may last for them.

Last edited:
The day that Dish has to turn of the DVRs is the day they lose millions of customers.
That could be why Charlie & Co. are fighting Tivo so strongly.:rolleyes: E* believes that their work-around is legit. They just need a more open-minded court to actually review it.

In considering costs, please don't forget software development time and resources. Development and related amortization costs frequently far exceed hardware costs on a per-unit basis. Even if Echostar "stole" the technology from TiVo by infringing on their patent, they didn't simply copy the software code from a page in TiVo's dumpster.

This continues to showcase how backwards our patent system is. John LeCarre can't sue every author who wrights a spy novel with a character working for MI-6. TiVo shouldn't be able to collect damages based on gross revenues from anyone who uses their idea in a unique and innovative way.

I wonder if the judge in this case still has a VCR blinking 12:00 AM as the main focus of his "entertainment center".

at this point, if the courts are so technically clueless that they feel that Tivo's patents are valid, then E* needs to scoop up Tivo and sue the bejesus out of Verizon, Comcast, D*, etc.....

I wonder if the judge in this case still has a VCR blinking 12:00 AM as the main focus of his "entertainment center".

at this point, if the courts are so technically clueless that they feel that Tivo's patents are valid, then E* needs to scoop up Tivo and sue the bejesus out of Verizon, Comcast, D*, etc.....

I don't think the courts are technically clueless, it is DISH and their programmers that are.

Let me rephrase...

The government spends an awful lot of money trying to make sure that companies don't exert monopoly power and extract excessive profits from consumers.

But then they bless these "inventions" by giving them patents and then watch as these companies extract money from companies in the form of huge royalties or from consumers in the form of higher prices that wouldn't exist if there were more competition in a given category.

I'm all for rewarding innovation. Everyone deserves to make money of of their TRULY innovative products. But many of these products AREN'T innovative. They are derivative. And the patent office merely gives them legitimacy, and costs all of us with higher prices, decreased competition, and decreased capabilities as the monopolist rarely has to increase the quality of his product (anyone remember cable tv before Verizon and the Satellite cos. forced them to get their act together?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts