Dish Network and their many dishes...

gtsg1098

Original poster
May 10, 2015
Iowa
Hello everyone,
I am new to this page and to the world of satellite communications, as well. I switched from Mediacom cable to Dish Network in February and I love it! I have been paying attention to the various satellite dishes on houses and have noticed differences between them that confuse me. My brand new dish is black with "Dish HD" branding. The word "Dish" is red and the "HD" is white. It also has two feed horns (I'm fairly certain this means it's receiving signals from two satellites, correct?) I believe I am pointed at the 61.5 orbital location because the "What's on DISH?" channel says just that. Are there two satellites at that location? Am I pointed at two different orbital locations at the same time? My neighbors have a dish similar to mine but theirs has 3 feed horns and has a white "DISH" and a red "HD". I would greatly appreciate any knowledge or feedback as I love learning about this stuff.
Thanks!

A dish with three Feedhorns is either used to pick up the 110, 119, and 129 Satellites or it is being used to pick up 61.5, 72.7, and 77.
So why does my dish look at 61.5 and 72.7 and my next door neighbor looks at 61.5, 72.7, AND 77? That's what's confusing! Does it have anything to do with the age of the dish or the number of channels they subscribe to?

So why does my dish look at 61.5 and 72.7 and my next door neighbor looks at 61.5, 72.7, AND 77? That's what's confusing! Does it have anything to do with the age of the dish or the number of channels they subscribe to?
What satellites you pick up could have to do with the type of programming you are subscribed to.

Reactions: gtsg1098
You have a 1000.2 EA dish, which gets 61.5 and 72.7. This is usually all you need in most EA markets, however if you sub to Spanish programming you would also need the 77, which is the 1000.4 EA dish. If they got installed 2009-2012, there is a good chance they also got the 1000.4EA because that was the dish that was in use, and some American programming came from 77. Now it is all just Spanish, and spotbeams.

The 1000.4 which sees 61.5, 72 and 77 was the first common Eastern Arc dish. After a while Dish came out with the 1000.2 Eastern Arc dish which gets 61.5 and 72 which are the only satellite positions necessary for all of the regular programming.

Reactions: Tampa8
IIRC, 77 only has locals, prolly not in your market. Last I heard, there is an eastern arc dish LNB assembly that has only two LNB's, for 61 and 72.

77 does have certain local and also some international channels, the 1000.2 EA Dish picks up 61.5 and 72.7 and the 1000.2 WA picks up 110,119,129. Same goes with the .4 Setups the different arcs determine what satellites.

Reactions: Dah-Henny
When I had my dishes pointed on EA, I had one pointed at 77 for a while, unless you speak Spanish or want to "move" to get some of the CONUS locals on there, there is nothing of value there for you.

What I don't get is why doesn't all eastern arc Dishes see 77 ?

Why only 61.5 and 72 ?

The Dish sees 77 anyways, and it probably costs pennies to add in another feed horn on the LNB with the additional electronics, so why leave it out?

The more satellites the better so they can offer more programming, Right?

Not really. It is an MPEG 4 only market anyways, so in reality there are less need for the 77. That and 77 only having some locals and Spanish Channels, saving those pennies per install adds up. Makes sense to do it this way. Maybe one day we will only see 119/129 on WA.

Not really. It is an MPEG 4 only market anyways, so in reality there are less need for the 77. That and 77 only having some locals and Spanish Channels, saving those pennies per install adds up. Makes sense to do it this way. Maybe one day we will only see 119/129 on WA.

Except one day when and if they expand their programming, then those pennies saved can turn into dollars spent going out and adding an lnb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)