Dish Network or Direct TV in Southern California?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hipertec

Original poster
Oct 24, 2004
HI..hope you guys can help me! I cant decide with either Dish Network or Direct TV. I live in southen california and would get the $40-50 package.

I have kids, so cartoon network, disney, etc are important. But so is the "package deal"- like free equipment, install, less terms, etc.

Could someone let me know which is best to go with and what company to get it with? I would like to get a 4 room package with HDTV and TIVO receivers. I called a store and they "only" lease the equipment, which i think dont work for me.

I'll post this here too, it's exactly what I posted on your other thread in the DISH forum:

Directv's DTivo is by far, IMHO, a better DVR than DISH's 5xx models.

Also, Directv has a more linient (cheaper) contract cancellation fee than dish. Directv's is $150 but they prorate it for however long you've been on your contract. DISH's is $249 even if you want to cut with only a month left on your contract.

Directv's equipment is more stable, especially with DVRs and the HD receivers. The only downside is you can't get a free HD receiver with Directv (unless you find the right CSR) but to me you get what you pay for. I had DISH's 811 and it was as buggy as ever. I have Directv's Hughes HTL-HD and it has been the most stable HD box I've ever had.

Price wise you can get a better package of channels for your money with Directv. Another thing, if you want more than one DTivo you only pay the one DVR fee and just the regular mirroring fee for each additional box. So one DVR fee covers every DTivo you would have. With DISH they make you pay a DVR fee for EVERY DVR you have in addition to the mirroring fee.

With both companies if you were to get their top tier package they both waive the DVR fees.

No question, if its HD or a DVR you want Dish Network is NOT for you. DirecTV offers far better receivers, especially when it comes to HD, DVR, and HD DVR. A DirecTivo can run circles around anything from Dish's line of "digital DVR's". They don't even rant close, not at all. The Tivo wins hands down! Just read the ongoing problem reports of Dish's poor line-up of receivers. I read several posts every day about people like you who have got sucked into the crappy "Free" program at Dish. You get when you pay for, and free isn't going to get you much, other than a lifelime rental on your recievers. Make the choice that you can be happy with and stay with, its DirecTV!

as a former southern california dish network customer, I would say for the time being consider cable...I hated cable, and still am not crazy about them, but they are offering great deals these days...especially if you tell them you are switching from satellite...I have to high def dvr's in my house, get most of my locals in high def,...the analog is not that great, but the digital is just as good as satellite...if high def is not a big deal, then stick with satellite,...

If you didn't mind spending money than the HD Tivo is for you. It blows the Cable DVR out of the water. It has dual tuners and has something the DISH 921 doesn't have: Name Based Recording and Season Pass.

The HD Tivo is on the expensive side at $999 but it does boast a 250 Gig Hard Drive, which you can upgrade unlike the 921. The cable's HD DVR only has an 80 gig hard drive.

Status
Please reply by conversation.