DISH Network Retailer Chat Recap - "Hopper Special" - 2/16/2012

I pay a total of $20 ($6 for my DVR fee and $14 for my 722k/222k setup). So 1 Hopper and 2 Joeys will cost me an additional $4 a month correct?

I was really hoping for integration between having two hoppers. I'm going to lose a tuner if I don't get a 2nd hopper based on the setup we have now. I'm a little shocked that isn't a launch day feature.

Also, how does one know what category of customer they are in? I have no clue if I'm an A, B, or C customer.

I would also have hoped DISH would have had some sort of update on the OTA module.

Yes true but direct if you have the 6000 samsung series and soon all new tvs your not going to need all the receivers you need now :)

4) Someone said they have one tv and if they can only have 1 Hopper and no Joey's and I said yes... that answer is correct but the way the DISH system is setup you will be charged $10 for the whole home DVR service, its just the way the system is setup. (So my advice is to buy a second TV and get a Joey.) :D

Is the first Joey included in the fees?? Otherwise it's $7 per month extra for that new second TV....

Two hoppers will be on same network at launch - so use Duo Node - no isolators needed. They will behave like two separate networks and once the new software downloads they will share content. Which means at launch you need two sling adapters also

Any indication or inkling as to when this "new software" will arrive? Are we talking a few weeks...or "soon"? :)

I was really hoping for integration between having two hoppers. I'm going to lose a tuner if I don't get a 2nd hopper based on the setup we have now. I'm a little shocked that isn't a launch day feature.
Its a software issue which I hear is being worked on and will be made available as soon as possible. :)

I would also have hoped DISH would have had some sort of update on the OTA module.
Me too, but I rather them get it out the door first on time (which is a FIRST for DISH) then worry about an add on that the MAJORITY of people won't use. (We here at SatelliteGuys are not your normal customers) :D

Its cheaper then cables fees.

My dad recently moved out to his own place and I had to decide getting him cable or DISH, and when I compared the costs DISH won out.

(Hell the cable company even charges you per remote control!)

A local cable company has just for converter fees the following:
-Whole Home DVR 2-Room: $29.99
-Whole Home DVR 3-Room: $41.98

1) Two hoppers will be on same network at launch - so use Duo Node - no isolators needed. They will behave like two separate networks and once the new software downloads they will share content. Which means at launch you need two sling adapters also

Do we know if a Joey will be paired to a specific Hopper at launch, or can it jump the two Hoppers? Realize it won't be seamless, but is there some sort of "Connect Device" type screen.

I would think that for those that need/want the 2 Hopper solution, that the answer to 'should I upgrade?' is obvious. If the shared functionality of 2 hoppers isn't there at first release, just wait a bit for the software update to come out that gives you that. If I were with Dish right now, I wouldn't be getting the Hopper/Joey until sharing 2 Hoppers was working. I already have Direct with the no shared todo and Series Manager functions!

As to the fees, well they are what they are and seem fair compared to D*'s MRV setup.

Is the no cost upgrade for existing customers truly no cost up front? I saw your spreadsheet with the slides and it shows $99 instant credit as the asterisk.

Damn.

No mention of the actual power consumption.

I pay blood money for electricity and suspect I might be able to offset joey fees since it must use much less power than the hopper.

3) When comparing a 722 and 211's to Hopper and 2 (or 3) Joeys you are not comparing apples to apples. With Hopper you are getting DVR functionality in every room, plus all the additional features that the Hopper and Joey system give you including access to Pandora, Facebook and access to you music collections over DLNA. Not to mention all the speed and Prime Time Anywhere. Going from the 722/211 setup to a Hopper Joey setup is like going from a mid range Honda to supper speedy mussle car.

I agree with you there Scott, BUT, say you only have one 722 only and just been dealing with SD only on TV2 like I have. Comparing my options, I'm adding $11/month to my bill either way whether I get 1 hopper and 1 joey or 2 hoppers. If the 2 hoppers can't integrate with each other, then from a technical standpoint, your back to a 1 722 + 1 211 situation (just this time you have all the other hopper bells and whistles.) If that's the case then I might as well add a 211 $7/month and save $4/month going that route and not worry/care about the other hopper features. So until Dish gets the 2 hopper integration going after launch or does an about-face on $7/month for the 1st joey, I can wait a little longer:)

Scott
I know they said AT200 or above for no charges up front (for new subs). What if a person signs up with one of the "metal" packages like Dish Silver?

they should of explained the a,b and c customer for everyone :)

When I cover the retailer chats, I try never to mention the A B and C customer thing as its something behind the scenes that a customer should not worry about. Telling them about this grading system (which is based on numerous favtors) should not be mentioned because it upsets folks as all of us think we are A grade customers when by whatever system DISH uses says we are not.

For me I would say for everyone if you want to upgrade expect to pay $100 to do it. Some lucky folks may qualify as an A customer and those folks will get it done for free, but A customers are very far and few between.

Is $100 fair? I would say yes as not only are you getting the newest state of the art hardware, but you have to have you current wiring in your house reworked so that it works with the MoCA setup that the Hopper and Joey uses. I know when you go to work in the morning you want to get paid for your work, we these techs that go out to do these upgrades like to get paid too.... so again I consider $100 fair for what your getting.

Thats my feeling on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)