Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
DISH Network Statement on the Introduction of the Satellite Television Modernization Act of 2009

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Sept. 15, 2009 – DISH Network L.L.C., a subsidiary of DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH), today issued the following statement about the introduction of the Satellite Television Modernization Act of 2009:
“DISH Network congratulates Chairman Leahy, and Senators Sessions, Kohl, Hatch and Kyl on the introduction of a comprehensive bill, which reforms and modernizes satellite delivery of TV network signals. The ‘Satellite Television Modernization Act of 2009’ incorporates many of the recommendations made by the Copyright Office, including badly needed updates that bring the satellite law into the digital age.
Importantly, it also enables DISH Network subscribers in all local markets to receive a full complement of network stations. We thank Chairman Leahy for his leadership and look forward to working through these difficult issues with all members of Congress.”

DISH Network Statement on the Introduction of the Satellite Television Modernization Act of 2009

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Sept. 15, 2009 – DISH Network L.L.C., a subsidiary of DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH), today issued the following statement about the introduction of the Satellite Television Modernization Act of 2009:
“DISH Network congratulates Chairman Leahy, and Senators Sessions, Kohl, Hatch and Kyl on the introduction of a comprehensive bill, which reforms and modernizes satellite delivery of TV network signals. The ‘Satellite Television Modernization Act of 2009’ incorporates many of the recommendations made by the Copyright Office, including badly needed updates that bring the satellite law into the digital age.
Importantly, it also enables DISH Network subscribers in all local markets to receive a full complement of network stations. We thank Chairman Leahy for his leadership and look forward to working through these difficult issues with all members of Congress.”

:confused: Could you please explain what this means exactly? :) I could not find anything about this anywhere else.

it may appear with a different name. it looks like there is one out there called the Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act

Looks like Dish can do distants again IN EXTREME CASES

The bill will also fix an anomaly in the distant signal license, which will make it easier for satellite providers to serve local markets that are missing a network affiliate.

Making these changes will improve the ability of satellite providers to deliver a full complement of network stations to consumers, as well as make it easier for them to offer local stations

so Dish in markets where there arent all 4 nets can import them the same way Directv does.

From reading the link Dish will be able to add those 1 & 2 network DMA's now and import other nets. But which ones do they pick?

Examples
Mankato, MN is 75 miles SW of Minneapolis and its own DMA with only CBS in there (they added Fox subchannel a couple years ago). Directv customers get
CBS Mankato
ABC, NBC & FOX from Minneapolis (this was before the subchannel was added)

Dish hasnt added the DMA due to not being able to offer distants/sig viewed

But in a market where cable gets locals imported from another area do sat companies follow? Good example is Glendive, MT again another 1 local DMA (CBS/NBC). Cable gets ABC & FOX from Denver and NBC from Williston, ND....Lets say Dish adds locals there. DO they add Denver as the fill in locals or pick something closer like Great Falls?

but if I read it correctly, this is HUGE for Dish as they couldnt put locals from another market in a "non complete" market like Direct could

Info from MultiChannel about the House version of this bill. New SHVERA Draft Bill Ties Local-Into-Local Service To Short-Market Fix - 2009-09-15 06:54:01 EDT | Multichannel News

A new draft of the House version of the bill reauthorizing satellite operators' compulsory license to deliver distant network signals still contains language that would allow Dish Network back into the distant-signal business in exchange for delivering local TV station signals in all 210 Nielsen markiets, according to a copy obtained by Multichannel News. There are still between two and three-dozen small markets where satellite operators don't deliver local TV station signals because the markets are too small to make it cost-efficient.

The question I have is will this proposed bill allow AAD (until Dish gets up to all 210 DMAs served) to sell a distant for a short market WITHOUT the ridiculous waiver process ?

The waiver process isn't going anywhere. It is the only protection that a local broadcaster has. That being said, I expect that the TV stations will have to deliver content (as opposed to sitting on the franchise with just an SD feed -- or an HD feed available only through cable) in order to maintain their exclusive status.

The waiver process isn't going anywhere. It is the only protection that a local broadcaster has. That being said, I expect that the TV stations will have to deliver content (as opposed to sitting on the franchise with just an SD feed -- or an HD feed available only through cable) in order to maintain their exclusive status.

Well then I don't understand the proposed changes here. If someone in a short market DMA can technically get that missing network from a neighboring DMA but would have to install some monster on the roof to get it, then that wouldn't fix their short market problem. The way the proposed changes read to me is that they will allow satellite providers to import a distant signal for all people in a short market regardless of the waiver process. People not in a short market would still have the waiver process of course. But maybe I am reading it wrong (wishful thinking perhaps).

Last edited:
IMO, any channel that can be received in your area with a rooftop antenna should be made available to you via Dish. For example, Im in the Charlotte DMA, but I can receive most of the networks from the neighboring Asheville/Spartanburg market, I should be able to get all those too.

The bill is not ideal. I had expected that we would be able to get in state locals if all the stations in the DMA are out of state. VT can and will be able to. This would not impact bandwidth and is available via cable. Educational TV will expand beyond DMA if it is part of the state wide network. I am not sure this would apply to WGBH or not. Dish will be able to sell out of market again, but there are serious motivation and checks for "movers".

Notice that the bill would reauhorixe the transmission of superstations.

IMO, any channel that can be received in your area with a rooftop antenna should be made available to you via Dish. For example, Im in the Charlotte DMA, but I can receive most of the networks from the neighboring Asheville/Spartanburg market, I should be able to get all those too.
I disagree. Dish should not be allowed to undermine your local network affiliate by bringing in a signal from a nearby DMA. If you can pick it up with an antenna then mount an antenna.

I disagree. Dish should not be allowed to undermine your local network affiliate by bringing in a signal from a nearby DMA. If you can pick it up with an antenna then mount an antenna.

They should not undermine your local mechanic by allowing you to go to a mechanic across town. Let the locals stand on their own merits.