Dish Network to offer SuperBowl in HD

Scott Greczkowski said:
MPEG2 and no additional cities will be announced.

I am working on now if those who have distants will get the ABC since they qualify for it. :)

You may want to include a copy of this or the link.

http://ftp.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/shvera.html

It's by the FCC and quite clear about qualification.

Dish participated in a similar stunt last year with the Olympics and apparently intends to do it again with the Superbowl.

Thousands that already have one or more options for the ABC HD feed will get an additional option from Dish for the Superbowl while many more thousands throughout the country that have no options at all will be denied once again.

My local ABC channel does not broadcast anything in HD OTA. If I apply for the distant network waiver, could I get it because they don't offer HD or will I be denied because I can get their analog channels? The ABC channel is broadcasting digitally OTA but nothing yet in HD. I keep emailing and they say they are planning on broadcasting in HD but nothing yet.

If I apply for the waiver, is there any chance it would be accepted before the SuperBowl so I can get the HD feed? Would the HD feed even apply to distant network waivers?

Are These Going To Be In Mpeg 2 Or Mpeg 4 Requiring A New Receiver?

I just want to make sure that I understand this correctly:

I currently live in the L.A. Market.

I have the the AT120 + Locals & DishNetwork HD Package ($9.99)

I have an 811.

I will be able to view the Superbowl in HD on Channel 250 from the 110 or 119 Satellite without doing anything special or upgrading or attempting to get it OTA

Cokeswigga said:
I just want to make sure that I understand this correctly:

I currently live in the L.A. Market.

I have the the AT120 + Locals & DishNetwork HD Package ($9.99)

I have an 811.

I will be able to view the Superbowl in HD on Channel 250 from the 110 or 119 Satellite without doing anything special or upgrading or attempting to get it OTA

I was told by the CSR that the 811 will be able to get the signal.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I was wondering the same thing myself.

Still trying to get clarification if folks who get ABC via Distant Networks or a Waiver will get the SuperBowl feed?

THat would be very cool. Let us know ASAP!!!!

I'm not at my tv right now but what's the normal analog feed for NY ABC? Isn't it somewhere around 240?

Any chance they're changing the normal SD feed to HD for the SB and downconverting to non HD subs ?

dead3ye said:
I was told by the CSR that the 811 will be able to get the signal.

Then why in the hell are they doing it. The 622 won't be out in time.. and not that many people have a 422 or 211..

I think you got a stupid CSR.

waltinvt said:
I'm not at my tv right now but what's the normal analog feed for NY ABC? Isn't it somewhere around 240?

Any chance they're changing the normal SD feed to HD for the SB and downconverting to non HD subs ?

NY ABC is on 245.

NightRyder

waltinvt said:

No, these will be two separate channels. The HD feeds are on a 8psk transponder which most of the new receivers can tune, however all of the legacy ones won't be able to tune.

The NY and LA standard def locals are 241-248. So it makes sense to stick these two temporary channels near those.

Cokeswigga said:
Then why in the hell are they doing it. The 622 won't be out in time.. and not that many people have a 422 or 211..

I think you got a stupid CSR.

:confused: :confused:

Stop...Slow down....Read again...

"I was told by the CSR that the 811 will be able to get the signal."

NightRyder

The ABC o&o footprint is much bigger than the cities listed. This is the perfect time to institute the national east & west feed for the rest of the country that could qualify for waivers if dish hasn't already. The 10 cities they list just don't make enough sense. Is it simpy a mpeg4 issues, a nfl spurn issue, transporder issue, etc, ? I know they could do way more than this. Very puzzling.

HokieEngineer said:
No, these will be two separate channels. The HD feeds are on a 8psk transponder which most of the new receivers can tune, however all of the legacy ones won't be able to tune.

The NY and LA standard def locals are 241-248. So it makes sense to stick these two temporary channels near those.

Ah, I knew it was close. Oh well, disappointed again. Maybe there's a chance (slim to nothing probably) that anyone getting the NY or LA analog distants will also get the temporary HD feed.

It really makes no sense (to me anyway) to not let people that are already qualified for the analog distant to not get the HD distant.

Wow....

Bad things in 2006 for E*.....

Gets into pissing contest with Lifetime

Stumbles a bit with the Mpeg4 transition (when are receivers available? Mpeg2 streams labeled as mpeg4 to exclude current HD viewers for no good reason than to force people to upgrade sooner)

Good things.....

Massive HD expansion announced with Universal HD, ESPN2 HD, HGTV HD, and Food Network HD confirmed, 5 more Vooms.... & Starz HD hinted at strongly

Mpeg4 transition finally beginning

SuperBowl in HD in O & O Markets (???!!???)

Fine Living and Oxygen added to appease the Lifetime viewers (and win over more like me who could care less about Lifetime)

HD LILs rolling out quicker than I thought

Olympics HD feeds and mosaic (grr. except for 921s) coming back for Winter Olympics.

Again, wow...... January has been a busy month for E*. What will they do for an encore? They are giving technologists plenty to ponder.....

waltinvt said:
Ah, I knew it was close. Oh well, disappointed again. Maybe there's a chance (slim to nothing probably) that anyone getting the NY or LA analog distants will also get the temporary HD feed.

It really makes no sense (to me anyway) to not let people that are already qualified for the analog distant to not get the HD distant.

Read my post above...

I was told I would get it because I have the analog distant (west).

dead3ye, while I believe what you said may be correct I am still trying to get an official statement on this as I know a lot of you want to plan SuperBowl parties. :)

kstile said:
Probably has something to do with who owns the ABC affiliates in these markets, but isn't it a bit conspicuous and neither Seattle nor Pittsburgh is on this list? I live in Seattle and fortunately can get KOMO (the ABC affiliate) OTA, so I'll be able to enjoy the SuperBowl in HD; would be nice if Dish could get those two cities going, too...

No Kidding! Those subs who would enjoy it most. Sad.

Dish 211/411 L262 Software Release Notes

only odd transponders comming in???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)