DISH No Longer Allows Recording Certain PPVS . . .?

bellevuecoug

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
Earth
Via dish.com, I ordered up 'Captain America - Winter Soldier' in HD on channel 502 - it showed up as rented in the guide (yay). I selected a showing later in the day, hit 'Record' and was surprised to see this ~

"Requested recording not available for this event."

I immediately chatted up a CSR and asked what was going on with this, and I was told (with a little bit of attitude) that yeah, some PPVs can't be recorded and others can be recorded for a limited time. I knew about the limited recording rule, but had never seen a "no recording" rule. Soooooooooo, it seems that certain movies cannot be recorded and there is no way to tell which ones before you blow $6. Has anyone else seen this before? Did I miss it? My questions were met with "we don't advise customers to record those PPVs anyways." Ah, thanks. At least I had the satisfaction of filling out the survey at the end of the chat session.

Business practices change and (as per usual), nobody tells the people who pay the bills.

It has always been certain PPV's cannot be recorded. Unless something changed, it does indeed tell you it can not be recorded when you hit info before ordering.

That is based on who actually owns the movie not Dish, because there is tech that once its on a hard drive no matter the encryption it can be ripped decrypted and then copied to the internet for anybody to view.

It has always been certain PPV's cannot be recorded. Unless something changed, it does indeed tell you it can not be recorded when you hit info before ordering.

Incorrect. In fact, if I go to the ordering page for Winter Soldier on dish.com, it says this ~

"If recorded to a DVR, this rental can be viewed for up to 24 hours from first viewing."

Completely false statement on the ordering page from Dish.

So tell me another one.

My statement is correct, I just checked and the guide says it can not be recorded.

Go to channel 502. Pick the movie as if you are going to order it. It says "No Recording" In addition I don't see where it says anything about being able to record it when you look online, only that is will be available for viewing 24hrs from time of purchase.

Go to channel 502. Pick the movie as if you are going to order it. It says "No Recording" In addition I don't see where it says anything about being able to record it when you look online, only that is will be available for viewing 24hrs from time of purchase.
from the website logged in with my login credentials.
pay_per_view.jpg

I admit it is a little vague on that page (The page where you first look at the movies available do not say anything about recording that movie) But I think the intent is if you "can" record it to a DVR.

I can see if you did not know some can not be recorded it is confusing. Knowing it, when I used order movies I always looked in the guide first to see if I could record it or had to watch it. It does clearly say no recording in the guide.

Some PPV's CAN be recorded however most can not. It varies studio by studio and film by film. This is not something DISH is doing on their own, they are doing it because they have to. :(

there is nothing vague about "if recorded to a dvr it can be viewed for 24 hours.

I do get how it can be taken that way, however it isn't saying an affirmative that it can be recorded. "If recorded" means just that - "IF' you are taking it as you can record it and if you record it these are the conditions, I see "IF" as meaning assuming you can record it not that you can. But again, I had the benefit of knowing not all PPV's can be recorded.

Yep, been going on with select films since the beginning of the year, IIRC

Yes I have seen them not be able to be recorded, though I no longer buy movies this way so have not checked in awhile.

Some PPV's CAN be recorded however most can not. It varies studio by studio and film by film. This is not something DISH is doing on their own, they are doing it because they have to. :(
I wonder how long until the movie channels are no longer recordable? Like most PPV's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there is nothing vague about "if recorded to a dvr it can be viewed for 24 hours.

Yes, to claim that statement is vague really strains credibility (or comes from someone who works for Dish).

So, in the future, before I go to order a movie over the web (where it says I CAN record it), check another source (channel guide) which *may* say I can't. Got it. Seems pretty clean and simple to me. Kudos to Dish for another seamless process.

The guide will say you can't, it always has said it since some could not be, just as it says "limited" for some, there is no "may" about it. You may be just discovering it, but it's been that way for awhile.

Not blaming dish, but what a freaking rip off!Go to video store or kiosk and watch as many times as you like, in 24 48 hr period, and cheaper too.There is no wonder torrents and online streaming of movies are so popular.If I were dish, or any other provider I would cut way back on the amount of ppv movies, or just go to all on demand.There is no way I would pay $6 or more for a movie rental that I couldn't record, bet there are many others as well.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)