DISH, Please Use Us to Test Software

And what makes you think that isn't already happening? I'm sure there are beta testers from this website that have signed non disclosure agreements and can't talk about things at all because of those agreements.

If that's the case then they've got the wrong testers from this forum. It takes about 8 hours or less for a dozen or so specific users here to find a slew of new bugs after every release. Isn't the point of beta testing to find the bugs BEFORE the release?

I think we all agree that we could do better.

I volunteer!

I doubt they'll do it though... Most of us are under contract, so what does it matter anyway? I've got six months left... If things don't change, Dish will be losing two accounts!

If that's the case then they've got the wrong testers from this forum. It takes about 8 hours or less for a dozen or so specific users here to find a slew of new bugs after every release. Isn't the point of beta testing to find the bugs BEFORE the release?

I think we all agree that we could do better.

It could be like charlesrshell said... Beta testers could be reporting it, but the bean counters/engineers don't pursue it due to inability and/or they're too cheap to do anything about it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I volunteer!

I doubt they'll do it though... Most of us are under contract, so what does it matter anyway? I've got six months left... If things don't change, Dish will be losing two accounts!

It could be like charlesrshell said... Beta testers could be reporting it, but the bean counters/engineers don't pursue it due to inability and/or they're too cheap to do anything about it.

You were one of the dozen or so I was thinking of. :)

I have a more optimistic spin and believe they're doing their best to make the software bug free. I don't envy the Dish software guys. I've written a little software and done a lot of beta testing and trouble shooting over the years but absolutely nothing compared to what must be an unbelievably complicated and complex bunch of code in the Hopper.

Dish Network should have something like Directv's Cutting Edge program where you can D/L beta software every Friday/Saturday night. It's what makes Friday night fun to look forward too,seeing what no features they put in the CE to test.

You were one of the dozen or so I was thinking of. :)

I have a more optimistic spin and believe they're doing their best to make the software bug free. I don't envy the Dish software guys. I've written a little software and done a lot of beta testing and trouble shooting over the years but absolutely nothing compared to what must be an unbelievably complicated and complex bunch of code in the Hopper.
I completely concur, they are doing their best and it is really complex, but bugs and all the headaches for the customers has gone on long enough. The Dish software guys need help, more manpower, higher level experience, or something. The blame is with the higher ups that need to do something about it.

Yes, part of the troubles is no doubt with different chipsets. But no doubt also configurations. When I did configuration management in the Navy, I was astonished at how many timing problems came out of different HDDs, even the same size and reputed same specs. And then there's the power supply- what are they getting out of the mains? Any other equipment, such as high powered speakers nearby (magnets)? Heat? Humidity? Frequent power cycling?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

DISH already uses a number of SatelliteGuys members to test their Hopper software. :)

I can't really get into it more then that, but there are times there are openings for additional testers which we post here. Sometimes we get the number of people we need in an hour or so. So the post is quickly removed. Best bet is to check the site often.

I wish I could say more then that but it is a private beta program. :)

DISH already uses a number of SatelliteGuys members to test their Hopper software. :)

I can't really get into it more then that, but there are times there are openings for additional testers which we post here. Sometimes we get the number of people we need in an hour or so. So the post is quickly removed. Best bet is to check the site often.

So it's as I suspected, either poor beta testers (least likely,) incompetent software engineers (more likely,) or the bean counters don't care about issues that only affect "5%" of customers (most likely.)

So it's as I suspected, either poor beta testers (least likely,) incompetent software engineers (more likely,) or the bean counters don't care about issues that only affect "5%" of customers (most likely.)
Not just "least likely", highly unlikely, as all they can do is report the bugs. It's up to the engineers and product managers to prioritize and implement bug fixes.

Ok then, who were the flockers who missed the name based OTA timer bug???!!! :strike2

Not just "least likely", highly unlikely, as all they can do is report the bugs...
Presuming they caught and reported it. I've been involved in testing and knew people who found problems and a) decided themselves that it "wasn't important" or b) didn't want to report "too many".

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

You know... not even talking about the beta program I see people post their bug reports here after new software comes out. And for almost every bug report I see, I try to replicate the bug on my system. And I would say for about 95% of the reports I am unable to replicate them.

To me this means there has to be something else going on or something with those installs, which could be something in the cabling, taps, splitters, external USB devices, power issues, or something else going on which is helping to cause some of the issues some folks are seeing.

Is the software bug free? Hell no! But those bugs are ones we all have such as not being able to record off air sub channels. But many of these other problems a majority of people never have. I don't think they would catch those strange ones in the beta process because of some of the variables I have posted above.

One of the reason DISH decided to allow some SatelliteGuys members is because we are good at breaking things. And for some of you I have heard of some setups that I don't believe anyone has dreamed of before. :)

I hate to start an argument but if Dish really had a Beta testing program that they cared about wouldn't they have a record of the installations the testers have and do a basic quality check of connections and signal levels of their systems? This would not take much effort and would help eliminate the causes of the problems noted.

I have a standard 2H/2J setup with a HIC and an all RG6 wired MOCA network and have excellent TX/RX rates and internet connectivity on all boxes. I also have a lot of spare time on my hands.

Just came back to Dish, have a few questions

Is the new Regular Joey available?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)