DISH, Please Use Us to Test Software

JSheridan

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2008
USA
As is common knowledge Dish employees get new Hopper software before general release for 'testing'. I propose that Dish use a selected group of Satelliteguys in addition to their employees.

Nothing against Dish employees but it seems that upon general release we find a bunch of bugs almost immediately and post about them here. If Dish would use about a dozen Satelliteguys regulars we could probably make the software releases a much more pleasurable experience.

I volunteer.

:yessign

Agree 100%. I know we're all different than the "average" customer, lots of EHDs, multiple Hopper setups, OTA usage, etc...but seems like that's the type that needs to be testing the software.

i don't think it will matter. They won't hold up a new release with new features for some minor bugs. (minor for them anyways)

The last time I actively reported something, it took over a year to fix and I suspect it may not have even my half dozen reports that got it fixed.

Nice idea, but folks will inevitably ask for something in return.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

You also have to look at the "bugs" and how much of a problem they really are to 95% of Dish's customers. Anything OTA-related, for example, is going to fall pretty low on their priority list because only a small # of users have the add-on module (contrary to what it appears from users of this site).

Nice idea, but folks will inevitably ask for something in return.
Simple: Remove them from the program

If someone wants to help, do it because you want to help. Don't do it for $ compensation. Especially if you approach Dish - you're effectively volunteering. Now, if they approach you, that's a different story.

Simple: Remove them from the program

If someone wants to help, do it because you want to help. Don't do it for $ compensation. Especially if you approach Dish - you're effectively volunteering. Now, if they approach you, that's a different story.

They could approach me, and I'd still do it for free. Heck, I've already sent in trouble reports, as have many of us here- we'd just be more diligent in our efforts and more careful in recording specifics.

Reactions: thechaz05
You also have to look at the "bugs" and how much of a problem they really are to 95% of Dish's customers. Anything OTA-related, for example, is going to fall pretty low on their priority list because only a small # of users have the add-on module (contrary to what it appears from users of this site).

However, those OTA customers, especially the ones here, are more valuable customers. Not just in higher monthly bills, but much more likely to be affecting the opinions and decisions of MANY others. These folks have outsize influence in bringing in (or keeping away) more customers.

As is common knowledge Dish employees get new Hopper software before general release for 'testing'. I propose that Dish use a selected group of Satelliteguys in addition to their employees.

Nothing against Dish employees but it seems that upon general release we find a bunch of bugs almost immediately and post about them here. If Dish would use about a dozen Satelliteguys regulars we could probably make the software releases a much more pleasurable experience.

I volunteer.

Well, you never know, but the Dish software testers have probably caught bunches of bugs and reported them. It might be the other half not fixing the bugs or can't figure it out. There is something not going right for some reason.

Yes, I would love to be a tester. The satellite guys would be a great group to use. We like to use all the features and get the most out of our setups. We use stuff that the casual user might not even know about.

I would volunteer to be a beta tester. I am retired and spend a lot of time testing each new release. One advantage for Dish to use us as testers, we would have to sign a non disclosure agreement and that would keep us from posting their release flaws in this forum. Less bad press. Hear that Dish!

Reactions: 3HaloODST
I can understand why Microsoft has so much trouble with Windows. There are many other programmers writing software for other programs that use Windows, but why does Dish have so many different Hoppers with different problems that only affect a certain number of Hoppers, when there are not other programmers writing conflicting software. Any programmers out there with any ideas.

I would volunteer to be a beta tester. I am retired and spend a lot of time testing each new release. One advantage for Dish to use us as testers, we would have to sign a non disclosure agreement and that would keep us from posting their release flaws in this forum. Less bad press. Hear that Dish!

And what makes you think that isn't already happening? I'm sure there are beta testers from this website that have signed non disclosure agreements and can't talk about things at all because of those agreements.

Reactions: GaryPen and Hall
I can understand why Microsoft has so much trouble with Windows. There are many other programmers writing software for other programs that use Windows, but why does Dish have so many different Hoppers with different problems that only affect a certain number of Hoppers, when there are not other programmers writing conflicting software. Any programmers out there with any ideas.

Sometimes I wonder if the problems are more or less in the different Arcs, transponders, DNAs, etc, no telling. I agree with you that it is strange that different problems only affect a certain number of Hoppers.

And that sort of "logic" is probably why bugs get out. If they advertise a feature, it should work as advertised, PERIOD

...but why does Dish have so many different Hoppers with different problems that only affect a certain number of Hoppers, when there are not other programmers writing conflicting software. Any programmers out there with any ideas.
First, I'm not a programmer ;)

We only "see" two models, the Hopper and the Hopper with Sling. Within each of those though, there can be multiple revisions, mostly involving the chipset. Broadcom is probably constantly tweaking their chipset and it's software. Those changes shouldn't impact software that runs on top of it, but maybe it does. I can vaguely remember discussing one or two fairly bad bugs with the 622 or maybe it was the 722k. Users with the A, B, C revisions had no problem but users with the D, E, etc did (or vis-versa).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)