Dish pointed east but showing west transponders???

DefDude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
N.W. Florida
I have 2 HWS and 2 Joeys I was having what looked like red blue and green confetti running vertical from top to bottom on my local fox channel only I called dish and after a few tests we realized that the dish was pointed for EA but the transponders including local spot beam were showing West I have a service this am but does anybody have any idea how this happens?

Your locals are on both east and west. Do you have 2 dishes? It sure sounds like you are set up with western arc and maybe the Dish records say you are eastern arc. It'll work both ways provided you have line of sight...

just 1 new dish they replaced my old EA 3 lnb dish with a 2 lnb black HD dish a couple weeks ago maybe just not pointed right? Dish tech support said that I was supposed to on EA with locals at 61.5 E they say that might be why the FOX channel is raining confetti tech will be here soon maybe just nee a re point

Yeah, you definitely have an eastern arc dish with just 2 lnbs. They would be pointed, or should be anyway, at 61.5 and 72.7. I think your Fox issue is unrelated, we'll see..... :)

just 1 new dish they replaced my old EA 3 lnb dish with a 2 lnb black HD dish a couple weeks ago maybe just not pointed right? Dish tech support said that I was supposed to on EA with locals at 61.5 E they say that might be why the FOX channel is raining confetti tech will be here soon maybe just nee a re point

I don't know how a re-point will cure 'raining confetti' unless you mean digital pixelation, in which case it should be like that on all your locals if it's a signal problem.

If it's just on that one channel the chances are it's something either with the FOX channel transmission or on Dish's end.

Good luck.

If you go to Menu, then Settings, then Diagnostics, then System Information (I think that's it, been a while since I did any troubleshooting on a Hopper), that screen will have a field that shows your satellites. It will show either 119/110/129, or perhaps 72/61.5, which does it show?

The records of what Dish thinks you have can be wrong... I have to assume the techs do not enter this correctly when completing a job, I have seen many accounts where the customer has, say an eastern arc dish aimed at 72/61.5, but our system thinks they have 119/110/129. What matters is what dish it is, and where it's really pointed, not what we show. Snowbird customers are a perfect example of this. I have dealt with accounts where they have a home in upstate NY and a home in Florida. The NY house is aimed at 72/61.5, but when they take their receiver to Florida, they have to re-run the check switch test to find the REAL sats they're looking at in Florida, which in this case was a WA dish aimed at 119/110/129. We at Dish don't have to change a single thing, except for their service address so they can get the proper locals. That's all we change.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way, shape, or form.

Ok , tech was here , long story short it seems to be a local FOX issue.. maybe a little something to do with the dispute with DISH.The local tech company knew of this issue but not Dish tech...

Thanks for the update. I do see that there is a known issue on the local FOX station that was reported on 8/24. I apologize that you were not advised of this.

When looking at the point dish screen, all sats that you look at are going to show 61.5W, 72.7W, 77W, 110W, 119W or 129W. The eastern arc satellites are obviously east of the western arc satellites but still located in the western hemisphere or West Longitude. It is virtually impossible to see any satellites in the eastern hemisphere or East Longitude from the continental United States.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)