DISH Price Increase 1/17/2013 (UPDATED!)

My fault -- you're right about DA. Only Gold and Silver have the little superscript 1 that says they're going away.

Re: AMC, I was following up Bob2011's comment about the Welcome Pack increase by asking if AMC was coming back to the Welcome Pack package. It's not listed as part of the Welcome Pack now, but I'd be more inclined to keep Dish around after the NFL season if that $20 did include Mad Men & friends. But since I'm prepay, I guess it's not such a big deal to drop service until next August and pay $20 (or whatever) to start back up. I'll miss my 211k monthly-fee-free DVR, however.

I wonder if the threatened cancellations and swaps to lower end packages here are representative of the Dish market at large at all. I'd have to guess no, or they wouldn't be jacking up the price. Guess it makes sense that the board's users are more comfortable with TV service alternatives.

Thanks for the info, Mojo.

AMC was supposed to end on 11/21 yet I still have it. Also HDNET Movies is no longer listed in the Welcome Pack yet I still have it.

My gut feel is that AMC will officially be back and HDNET will be gone the day of the price increase.

I would like to know what channel added in the Welcome pack can justify a $5.00 increase in price? If AMC is kept , does that mean that one channel was worth the $5.00 increase? I don't remember them adding any new channels in the Welcome pack in this last year that caused this increase.

I would like to know what channel added in the Welcome pack can justify a $5.00 increase in price? If AMC is kept , does that mean that one channel was worth the $5.00 increase? I don't remember them adding any new channels in the Welcome pack in this last year that caused this increase.
I didn't know they have to justify any price increase. If they wanted to be nice the could recommend some KY. :eek:

I think any a la carte system would be in the form of small packages (theme packs) similar to the Canadian system.

Unlikely that would happen. Even Bell stopped selling their theme packs and now have a Good/Better/Best system, as Canadian channels can now charge cable & sat providers carriage fees.
So the Canadians are molding there system to like the US system, guess that's the most profitable way to do it. Shaw Direct still has theme packs. What's funny with the Canadian providers is that most
of the TV stations their cable/satellite tv service provides are owned by Bell & Shaw.

I think AEP will have Blockbuster@home included as it is probably not very popular with new subscribers, I only have it because I was on the platinum pack prior and if I dropped it I would lose
Epix, I do like some of the movies they have and occasionally bb@home is handy for finding movies to watch, when there's over 457 channels and nothing interesting to watch at that moment.

RLY? Teh commercial says Evul DirecTV is the only one that goes and raises prices for the same thing.

Hypocrisy much? (the commercial, not you :) )
Well, the raised rates for 2012 in 2011, then had the gaul to say they "froze" prices. And the commercials are nothing but a big bucket of spin. Besides, I like the Directv commercials better. Don't wake up in a ditch!

That said, Dish is still cheaper for single box subs.

well, trying to get information from their customer service is an effort in futility. I am trying to figure out if I want the aep or not since it is going up so high. the guy told me there is an alternate package to help with that. I asked what that was and he said I will get credits to cover the cost, but would not go into any detail and instead told me to contact back AFTER the increase takes effect. Now doing that would be counterproductive. Why is it so difficult to get things hashed out in advance? Instead they want everyone to call at once and increase wait times and frustration. So for now I have the 250 and hbo for half price. I enjoy having all the movie channels, but not at what they want for them now.

well, trying to get information from their customer service is an effort in futility. I am trying to figure out if I want the aep or not since it is going up so high. the guy told me there is an alternate package to help with that. I asked what that was and he said I will get credits to cover the cost, but would not go into any detail and instead told me to contact back AFTER the increase takes effect. Now doing that would be counterproductive. Why is it so difficult to get things hashed out in advance? Instead they want everyone to call at once and increase wait times and frustration. So for now I have the 250 and hbo for half price. I enjoy having all the movie channels, but not at what they want for them now.

The problem is that they can't comment on something until it is officially announced. This price increase is not yet official (to the public), so even if they had details, policy wouldn't let them comment.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

.. I opted to shift back into AEP. Didn't realize AEP subs are going to get an added $10x18month discount.

I was saving about $9.00 over the current AEP price by not subbing to Showtime and doing the 1/2 price Premiums for HBO, Starz and Cinemax, and once the 6 months was over, I was planning on moving back into AEP. However, with the new prices, it would be a hard move, since that $9.00 increase would turn into a $24.00 increase ($9.00 plus $15.00) with one swift swoop.

Doing it now, I'm guaranteeing myself a $10.00 discount on the AEP for 18 months, which really only translates to a $5.00 increase over what I was planning on paying in a few months time anyways.

Well, at least that's the logic.. I will have to see the bill once this all goes through to judge if it's worth it or not.

.. I opted to shift back into AEP. Didn't realize AEP subs are going to get an added $10x18month discount.

I was saving about $9.00 over the current AEP price by not subbing to Showtime and doing the 1/2 price Premiums for HBO, Starz and Cinemax, and once the 6 months was over, I was planning on moving back into AEP. However, with the new prices, it would be a hard move, since that $9.00 increase would turn into a $24.00 increase ($9.00 plus $15.00) with one swift swoop.

Doing it now, I'm guaranteeing myself a $10.00 discount on the AEP for 18 months, which really only translates to a $5.00 increase over what I was planning on paying in a few months time anyways.

Well, at least that's the logic.. I will have to see the bill once this all goes through to judge if it's worth it or not.

Good move, you can always change it after the fact. Better to do it now, wait until 1/17 & the only guarantee you'll have is paying regular price.

Makes me wonder...If you say move from AT250 to AT200 does that qualify you for the credits?Not sure it work that way but,the wording in those pdfs are somewhat fuzzy.

Makes me wonder...If you say move from AT250 to AT200 does that qualify you for the credits?Not sure it work that way but,the wording in those pdfs are somewhat fuzzy.

Only for customers activated between 3/1/12 & 1/16/13. Even then, either package will see the $5 increase.

Only for customers activated between 3/1/12 & 1/16/13. Even then, either package will see the $5 increase.

No way to get around it dang it!I can handle the $5 increase well actually $6 with dvr if...they sweeten the packages a bit.Otherwise a $6 increase will be a bit harder to stomach.

Yeah I know, $6 for those of us with a dvr & no hopper. I don't like it either, but will stay put for now. My options are limited to worse.

Some guy on another site was claiming IFC was being added to the Welcome Pack. He never could provide his "link" and simply vanished. I don't think he realized it was in Free Preview. They should at least let WP and SP subs have HD especially if they previously did the HD for life deal.

Well the last time they sprung the $5 hike on us they offered BB@Home or Starz free for a year.Would be very nice if they do something of that nature again.

Some guy on another site was claiming IFC was being added to the Welcome Pack. He never could provide his "link" and simply vanished. I don't think he realized it was in Free Preview. They should at least let WP and SP subs have HD especially if they previously did the HD for life deal.

IF they offered HD version of the Welcome pack for an extra $5.00 , to those who had already had HD for life , that would be a great bargain. I have said before that the lowest programming packs should at least be in HD.

Hopper install questions

Youtube App?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts