DISH Price Increases

I think the $10 offer ended already.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Nope. I just logged in to my account and am still being offered the $10 per month deal for HBO. Also saw a commercial a few weeks back that said the offer expires January 31, 2016.

Anyways, I just skimmed the 9 pages of the thread here, I didn't see if the Welcome Pack was going up or not. Anyone with any info on that?

Reactions: pattykay
We knew that was coming, just hope the new hopper makes it worthwhile.
As per chart I take it we will LOSE our current grandfathered fees with Hopper and HWS if/when we "upgrade" to the new 16 tuner Hopper 3.0. My question is WHAT will the new fees be for the 3.0 system.

See I'm not so sure

Because at the new Rate.
Top 250 is $88.99
Then HBO $15
CINEMAX $10
Starz $14
Showtime $11
Total $134.99

So What sense would it make for a customer to pay $140.99 for America's Everything pack?

Some a la carte channels (like Baby TV) along with channels available ONLY in separate, special packages are included in the AEP. Among those channels are some sports (some in Spanish, as well as the English language ones) and business, etc., most in HD, are included in the AEP. One or two of the additional a la carte channels would get one up to the $6 difference, but once the all the remaining additional channels are added, then the AEP becomes the "value" option.

For new customers they are, existing are grandfathered.
Pr
Comcast had a little price increase last week. Can't really say it was a price increase, because they have 2 year price guarantee contracts, and when your out of contract they will let you go back into contract again to get a promotion.

I think the worse thing was a $5 increase in HBO, but I hear that is going away in January when they bring the $10 premium channel offers back.

Then they raised install fees from $29.99 to $50 but dropped some of the other install fees to keep the price more consistent.

The cable companies are going to win this game. They got internet, DISH don't !

Directv has AT&T on their side, and it's good for the areas they service with u-verse internet. However AT&Ts coverage area is spotty in most areas.

I remember when I was a dealer Dish back in 2010 the big deal was they needed spectrum to build out an LTE network to provide Internet. It was a grand plan, and should have been rolled out already, yet Dish has done nothing.

Internet is a game changer, people will get internet before cable or even a home phone. In the future the only way a company will be able to sell a video service is if they can bundle it with affordable internet.

But back to this price increase topic. The cable companies are making their money on the triple play products. For home phone and Internet it costs them nothing to provide the service because they own the infrastructure. As for Tv they got the content providers to deal with, which is subject to increased every year.

On a triple play you don't have to make all you money on the video only product, you have Internet and phone revenue to help off set the profits.
And the Cable VoIP costs WAAAYYY too much money compared to other VoiP options (actually, Cable VoIP is robbery compared to alternatives) , but, as you said, Cable makes up the loss from TV on VoIP and their VERY high ISP charges.

Reactions: Tampa8
I've got a TiVo Roamio and do use the OnePass to 'schedule' the streaming shows also. It is very convenient and would be a lot more so if Hulu could be done the same way. But Hulu and OnePass don't work together since about the 21st of October. TiVo could be better about it if they had more streaming services available but since the OEM market is where their potential growth is, I don't expect that to happen. Unfortunately nothing else offers quite the flexibility with the 'how' of 'scheduling' as well as TiVo does though Playon is getting close and covers many more 'channels'.

But I wouldn't want to be streaming only regardless how good the equipment is. I would lose live boxing, and there are some things that just aren't available except as episode or series purchases.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk
As good a product TiVo is, even the fanboys admit that using TiVo for streaming services is not what it should be. I really enjoy the TiVo for being a really good DVR and use the far superior Roku for all streaming. That's what a ton of TiVo users do. I did get the Amazon Fire TV specifically for the SlingPlayer (for the Slingbox) and that works well. Also the TiVo app for FireTV (in beta) also works VERY well on my LAN. I have not tested the FireTV TiVo app at a remote location, but OOH (Out of Home) streaming with TiVo using their own built-in or stand alone Stream product is notoriously poor, as has been my experience, and TiVo OnLine is a JOKE compared to DishAnywhere . The FireTV works well with the usual streaming services, even a bit better than the Roku, but FireTV lacks a lot of the extra channels Roku has.

This relates to the topic: This increase has me seriously considering going with my TiVo's ONLY for OTA and Roku and FireTV for the rest. Please Dish, feel our pain!!!!!

Some a la carte channels (like Baby TV) along with channels available ONLY in separate, special packages are included in the AEP. Among those channels are some sports (some in Spanish, as well as the English language ones) and business, etc., most in HD, are included in the AEP. One or two of the additional a la carte channels would get one up to the $6 difference, but once the all the remaining additional channels are added, then the AEP becomes the "value" option.
There are no channels in AEP that aren't in the Top 250 with all 4 premiums Except World Fishing Network.
Hardly worth $6
Baby's First TV is in the Top 250, because I have it.
So what sports channels are you referring too, because AEP doesn't include the multi sports pack.

You can do the comparison yourself on your Dish account.

There are no channels in AEP that aren't in the Top 250 with all 4 premiums .
So what sports channels are you referring too, because AEP doesn't include the multi sports pack.

There are no channels in AEP that aren't in the Top 250 with all 4 premiums Except World Fishing Network.
Hardly worth $6

You can do the comparison yourself on your Dish account.

You wold be referring to Baby First being put in standard package. I think Baby TV is the a la carte included with AEP. Also, I think Telemundo East and Telemundo West, Telefutura-national (if I'm not getting that confused), Pixl HD, Fox Deportes (I THINK), I think Azteca-national, and there might be a few or that is it, I'm not certain.

I am certainly not defending AEP, just that it costs a bit more only because Dish add few channels that aren't part of the standard packages, but might be available at some other packages or a la carte. So, supposedly, if I have it right and they did not change things, we are getting some Spanish Language channels available only at DishLatino, an a la carte: Baby TV, and Pixl HD available outside the English language standard packages. I can't think of any more at this time. From Dish's point of view, they represent value to the AEP even with the reduced price for the Premium Movie channels.

However, I agree with your view that most people probably don't care for any of the additional a la carte, DishLatino or outside standard packages channels, and that AEP no longer is the really good value it once was. I agree that with the increase to AEP and the reduced prices for the Premiums, what is the point of AEP as of January? Not much, I guess. This is probably why Dish will no longer offer AEP to future customers. We have our answer to our question.

Seeing the movie packages drop in price tells me that services like Netflix are a true success and that they are probably fewer customers subscribing to them. I would rather pay $8 for Netflix than $15 for a movie package, even $10. Perhaps another price decrease is in order for those packages next year.

Dish raising DVR prices for only new customers could mean a few different things. It could mean that all new customers are getting a new Hopper with more tuners along with that new lnb that they are coming out with. A deterrent for existing customers from upgrading is to raise prices if they want to upgrade. Also keeps fee in line with DirecTV 5 tuner DVR.

Folks, Dish has this all figured out they done the math. The drop in movie channels offsets the raise elsewhere. They may end up raising the DVR fees next year for existing subscribers. Existing customers that upgràdes to latest multituner DVR and replacing the second Hopper with Joey would pay about the same with the new DVR price increases. They predicted what people would do and figured on getting about the same monthly.

It's been a while with Dish, but with the right amplification its unlimited.

I got a Directv property at the federal building that we have 29 SWM 16 switches cascaded for Directv.

Basically 1 switch per floor
WOW, that is a lot of switches at that federal building. Here is a cool looking DISH headend box from the Pace company. Found this in a link someone posted a while back.

Attachments

• HDD-24-IN.pdf
    804.2 KB · Views: 164
Nope. I just logged in to my account and am still being offered the $10 per month deal for HBO. Also saw a commercial a few weeks back that said the offer expires January 31, 2016.

Anyways, I just skimmed the 9 pages of the thread here, I didn't see if the Welcome Pack was going up or not. Anyone with any info on that?
The word I am getting is no it's not going up.

As per chart I take it we will LOSE our current grandfathered fees with Hopper and HWS if/when we "upgrade" to the new 16 tuner Hopper 3.0. My question is WHAT will the new fees be for the 3.0 system.

Everything regarding the new hopper is pure speculation. We do know there is a new hopper coming, that's about it.

Whether it has 6, 12 or 16.5 tuners, includes a popcorn maker and cost $30 per month is anyone's guess.

IMO it will be $15 per month. Upgrading to a hopper or adding an additional hopper will forfeit the grandfathered fees.

C/P:
"The monthly DVR fees will increase for new customers. Note that existing customers will be grandfathered into their current DVR fee amount. If an existing customer upgrades to a new equipment solution, they will be charged the new monthly DVR fee on their account."

Man every time I read about this new Hopper it has more tuners. The other day it had been reported 6 tuners, then 12, now 16... Maybe it will have 64 tuners. Someone trump that. :D

As I said elsewhere (possibly in this very thread) I wouldn't worry about the new Hoppers other other new equipment and upgrades yet as I am sure DISH will offer some kind of special when they are available. And until those products and deals are announced its kind of pointless to speculate or more importantly get worried. It is my feeling that DISH will want to keep subs as subscribers instead of cutting the cord and that they will have some good upgrades available when the equipment is available. When that will be is anyone's guess so no need to worry about it for now... hell I am still waiting for the new Carbin UI and the Tune In and I Heart Radio app, plus more apps that don't exist and more HD channels I will never watch. :D :D

As good a product TiVo is, even the fanboys admit that using TiVo for streaming services is not what it should be. I really enjoy the TiVo for being a really good DVR and use the far superior Roku for all streaming.

What's wrong with using the Tivo for streaming services. In my house I have an Apple TV, Roku, Xbox One, PS4, and a smart TV and I still use my Tivo Roamio and Tivo Mini whenever I stream Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, MLB.tv, or Hulu Plus. The only one of those that I would say has a worse app than things like the Xbox and Roku is Hulu Plus. The Netflix, Amazon, and Youtube apps are the exact same, standard UI that most devices like Xbox and PS4 have. The MLB.tv app is very clean too.

The reason Tivo is my favorite streamer is simple. Out of all of the devices I own it is the only one that will output streaming video that is natively 24Hz to my TV at 24Hz. If you have a TV that supports 24Hz playback that is the way you want to receive these streams. This is the format used for almost everything available on Netflix and Amazon as well as Bluray.

All my other streaming devices convert the native 24Hz media to 60Hz before outputting to my TV. This causes terrible screen judder, especially on shots that pan from one side to the other. Some people don't notice this but when it is really bad it can actually make me slightly motion sick.

The other obvious reason is that It's the same input and remote I'm already using to watch cable/OTA. I'll use another device for things like HBO Go, Showtime Anytime, and Starz Play but if Tivo has the app available it is my preferred device.

Reactions: Troch77 and osu1991
Man every time I read about this new Hopper it has more tuners. The other day it had been reported 6 tuners, then 12, now 16... Maybe it will have 64 tuners. Someone trump that. :D

As I said elsewhere (possibly in this very thread) I wouldn't worry about the new Hoppers other other new equipment and upgrades yet as I am sure DISH will offer some kind of special when they are available. And until those products and deals are announced its kind of pointless to speculate or more importantly get worried. It is my feeling that DISH will want to keep subs as subscribers instead of cutting the cord and that they will have some good upgrades available when the equipment is available. When that will be is anyone's guess so no need to worry about it for now... hell I am still waiting for the new Carbin UI and the Tune In and I Heart Radio app, plus more apps that don't exist and more HD channels I will never watch. :D :D

Whew! for a second I thought the Tune in and iheart apps were a lost cause :cool: ;)

Sports certainly is a big reason, but in homes with multiple TVs, streaming isn't all it is cracked up to be either. And it certainly isn't more convenient.

If you're not used to change & like to stick with what you know. I agree it's not as convenient but when you save almost $100 per month while getting 90% of what your household viewing needs are (100% for my millenial children ), streaming is more than worth it. We have 3 tvs & 5 mobile devices with at least 4 equipment streaming video at a time & we're a happy family, especially Dad when I see the savings each month.

And the Cable VoIP costs WAAAYYY too much money compared to other VoiP options (actually, Cable VoIP is robbery compared to alternatives).

How many times I have posted that and tried to explain that bundling the way most Cable providers do it does not necessarily save you money overall. 100% with no exceptions my bill with Dish for similar programming and a better DVR, my VOIP bill ($15) with VoicePulse and FAR more options included, and then my Internet with Charter especially if I just call every three or six months is much less and much better overall service than bundling with Charter.

The reason Tivo is my favorite streamer is simple. Out of all of the devices I own it is the only one that will output streaming video that is natively 24Hz to my TV at 24Hz. If you have a TV that supports 24Hz playback that is the way you want to receive these streams. This is the format used for almost everything available on Netflix and Amazon as well as Bluray.

All my other streaming devices convert the native 24Hz media to 60Hz before outputting to my TV. This causes terrible screen judder, especially on shots that pan from one side to the other. Some people don't notice this but when it is really bad it can actually make me slightly motion sick.

The other obvious reason is that It's the same input and remote I'm already using to watch cable/OTA. I'll use another device for things like HBO Go, Showtime Anytime, and Starz Play but if Tivo has the app available it is my preferred device.

Especially if you have a large screen TV and sit around the proper distance, playing back at 24HZ for that material is a huge advantage Tivo has. I also like that I can set it to play back at the native resolution of the source. I only have the OTA version since it does not work with DISH, but the PQ is top notch from it. And like you I find streaming about on par with the Roku or WD Live Player. (And actually I use my WD live player that has the only true Slingplayer app that works with the Pro models in the guest bedroom or out on the screen porch as a free and easy way to watch TV there)

Reactions: osu1991
If you're not used to change & like to stick with what you know. I agree it's not as convenient but when you save almost $100 per month while getting 90% of what your household viewing needs are (100% for my millenial children ), streaming is more than worth it. We have 3 tvs & 5 mobile devices with at least 4 equipment streaming video at a time & we're a happy family, especially Dad when I see the savings each month.

Because of what I want to watch it wouldn't work well for me and wouldn't end up saving me anywhere near that much. But getting along with change isn't an issue, I've got so much different tech around here that I've gotten used to that.

Reactions: Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)