DISH Price Increases

If you're not used to change & like to stick with what you know. I agree it's not as convenient but when you save almost $100 per month while getting 90% of what your household viewing needs are (100% for my millenial children ), streaming is more than worth it. We have 3 tvs & 5 mobile devices with at least 4 equipment streaming video at a time & we're a happy family, especially Dad when I see the savings each month.

At this time streaming has made good strides but it does require you to change your watching habits and forego some programming. You are also dependant on older shows or specials being available if you want to watch again. In addition, we stream away from home from our home often so depend on our Slingbox and Tivo. If we had just streaming watching away from home is more complicated and for some things just not available. You can save a lot of money and get a lot to watch, but sometimes just not what you want to watch and where.

Change isn't the issue for me either. I am one of the first to get the new technology. I had a cell phone when you had to have a bag attached, then the big huge all in one unit. I wrote computer programming in Basic for the Dispatch center I worked for before there was Windows. When my Wife questioned what we would ever need a microwave oven for I was buying one, and of course now it is almost essential. She also questioned when I got DISH, back in the 90's and still have the same account today. But the change has to be worth it and if money was the only issue no question streaming gives a lot of bang for the buck. There are other issues though that prevent it from being quite for everyone.

Man every time I read about this new Hopper it has more tuners. The other day it had been reported 6 tuners, then 12, now 16... Maybe it will have 64 tuners. Someone trump that. :D
A quantum tuner. It can broadcast programming on your screen from every channel at the same time. Quantum Goggles and head phones not included.

Everything else can't be streamed reliably if you live out of the reach of high speed internet, or have a low metered service like Exede or AT&T/Verizon at home LTE. I can do "pretty" good on streaming with my 4 Mbps DSL, but I wouldn't want to rely on it exclusively.
Sucks in this "exceptional country" we still have millions of our citizens dealing with slow internet speeds like 1.5 to 6 mbps while my friends in the "third world" are enjoying speeds way above that. True high speed Internet is so important not only for streaming but making a living today & in the future, just wish our politicians would recognize that & get rid of the barriers that are preventing real competition in that arena.

How many times I have posted that and tried to explain that bundling the way most Cable providers do it does not necessarily save you money overall. 100% with no exceptions my bill with Dish for similar programming and a better DVR, my VOIP bill ($15) with VoicePulse and FAR more options included, and then my Internet with Charter especially if I just call every three or six months is much less and much better overall service than bundling with Charter.

My Charter bundle does save me money though. When my Charter $30 internet promo ran out they extended it a couple times for me but eventually it went up to $60 for 60Mbps internet. Then on top of that I was paying Dish aboutt $90 for AT200. My total for internet and TV was about $150.

Now I have a Charter bundle with internet and TV. I have no need for a landline phone service. I got a special promotion that includes Spectrum Silver TV (equivalent of AT 250 plus HBO, Showtime, and Cinemax) for a total of $102 after taxes and cable card fees. I already had a Roamio and Mini with lifetime service for OTA so I don't have any monthly equipment fees.

My bundle is saving me about $50 per month. I realize that this is a promo rate and eventually the prices will probably go up but if they won't extend it I'll just go back to streaming and OTA. At $40 over internet only this cable package is a good deal. Cable/satellite just isn't worth much more than that to me anymore though.

Nope. I just logged in to my account and am still being offered the $10 per month deal for HBO. Also saw a commercial a few weeks back that said the offer expires January 31, 2016.

Anyways, I just skimmed the 9 pages of the thread here, I didn't see if the Welcome Pack was going up or not. Anyone with any info on that?
No, I'm not talking about if you already have it.
I'm talking about the offer to sign up.
But if it's January 31st, That would overlap the January 15 Price increase and HBO price drop.

I though I saw December 31st.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

In Ct I am paying $39 for the 50bps just need to call once in awhile to keep it. It may be because they have competition (DSL) from Frontier who has been aggressive. In Florida where I am if you have Fios and Brighthouse to choose from, Brighthouse gives you 75Mbps for $39!! Been that price for over a year now. (Fios/Verizon was the worst people to try and get an answer to simple questions)

. If we had just streaming watching away from home is more complicated and for some things just not available.
I am not so sure about that. My iphone and android phone offer streaming options that most STB do not, even live in some cases (with provider passwords of course). All of the apps such as netflix, hulu, vudu, google play, and the "watch" apps have a mobile version. I would say as far as streaming only, your selection is as great if not better with a mobile device.

Man every time I read about this new Hopper it has more tuners. The other day it had been reported 6 tuners, then 12, now 16... Maybe it will have 64 tuners. Someone trump that. :D

As I said elsewhere (possibly in this very thread) I wouldn't worry about the new Hoppers other other new equipment and upgrades yet as I am sure DISH will offer some kind of special when they are available. And until those products and deals are announced its kind of pointless to speculate or more importantly get worried. It is my feeling that DISH will want to keep subs as subscribers instead of cutting the cord and that they will have some good upgrades available when the equipment is available. When that will be is anyone's guess so no need to worry about it for now... hell I am still waiting for the new Carbin UI and the Tune In and I Heart Radio app, plus more apps that don't exist and more HD channels I will never watch. :D :D
It think that they could do a 6 tuner hopper and expand the primetime anytime folder to include other channels that you can select like TNT,AMC,TBS, FX and then maybe Women's pack of channels like LIfetime, WE, HGTv,DIY and some sports channels you could record and make 4 shows . IF you did this using 4 tuners and keep one of them for Networks you would get like 16 shows at a time you could record and leave the other two tuners for individual shows and the ota tuner as well and you could record 19 shows at a time using 6 tuners +ota tuner. All they need to do is move the channels onto the same transponders for each genre pack and the recording is done and available for the sub to view anytime during primetime or if they want to record during the day ,would only use one tuner for up to 4 channels like the networks are done currently. The only legal question is whether they would do auto skip on those channels too and risk another lawsuit like the main 4 networks have done, or they wouldn't offer auto skip at all on those cable channels.

Anyways, I just skimmed the 9 pages of the thread here, I didn't see if the Welcome Pack was going up or not. Anyone with any info on that?

The word I am getting is no it's not going up.

Thanks Scott. You're the man as usual. :hail

No, I'm not talking about if you already have it.
I'm talking about the offer to sign up.
But if it's January 31st, That would overlap the January 15 Price increase and HBO price drop.

I though I saw December 31st.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Oh I wasn't clear enough. I'm not currently subscribed to HBO. I haven't taken the offer. Yet.

What I mean is whenever I log into my account online, I still get this popup:

HBO $10 month offer.JPG

And as I mentioned in this other thread, I saw a commercial with the fine print at the bottom saying this offer expires January 31, 2016. I even took a screenshot of it. Here's my post on it:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/posts/3770401/

Dish America packages are staying the same price too
This isn't price-related, but I don't believe that the America packages gain any new channels (I know there hasn't been many, but still...). They don't offer AMC in any of the tiers, for example. When Dish and AMC had their little dispute and then came to terms, the America packages were recently obsoleted or "locked up" so even when AMC came back, it was left out of this group.

I am not so sure about that. My iphone and android phone offer streaming options that most STB do not, even live in some cases (with provider passwords of course). All of the apps such as netflix, hulu, vudu, google play, and the "watch" apps have a mobile version. I would say as far as streaming only, your selection is as great if not better with a mobile device.

Using a Slingbox on my Satellite account trumps anything that is cord cutting online, and for OTA either that or my Tivo stream. There are no apps to switch between, and every and any channel I get I can watch anywhere. Can I watch NCIS live on the Android app? No, not available till the next episode airs. (8 days) There dozens of programs not available to stream live, and ones that are available after being live requires me to change to whatever app is applicable for it. Could be the channel's app, or Hulu, or Amazon, Google Play, or Netflix etc.. Even if live isn't a big deal to someone, it's still easier using one device for everything and I have access to all my recordings.

Reactions: KAB and JSheridan
Using a Slingbox on my Satellite account trumps anything that is cord cutting online, and for OTA either that or my Tivo stream. There are no apps to switch between, and every and any channel I get I can watch anywhere. Can I watch NCIS live on the Android app? No, not available till the next episode airs. (8 days) There dozens of programs not available to stream live, and ones that are available after being live requires me to change to whatever app is applicable for it. Could be the channel's app, or Hulu, or Amazon, Google Play, or Netflix etc.. Even if live isn't a big deal to someone, it's still easier using one device for everything and I have access to all my recordings.
Actually, using CBS All Access, you could watch NCIS live, if your local station is listed as a participating market. As that list has grown, there is a good chance it is. Even if not, it would be next day on it. Same with most other network shows on Hulu.

Certainly some would share your view, but with a little adjustment, most of what is available sat is available mobile. And I was mainly comparing only streaming at home versus only streaming on the road, not necessarily streaming your sat feed with sling. ;)

Personally, I have found using a particular app (just talking about mobile here) as easy and faster than using my dish anywhere app, with better picture quality (if that matters on a 5ish inch device). Of course dish anywhere does have the plus of your recordings, which is big to some, not for me.

To the person who hopes a BBC app will replace BBC America: I've been trying to figure just exactly what rights the BBC has left for its own app, considering what's been sold off to Amazon, Hulu, etc. Maybe BBC kept the right to put content in their own app as well? Here's hoping. Also, I wholeheartedly agree that it would be nice to have a channel that was 100% UK content instead of what's now being passed off as BBC America.
To stay on topic - I wonder if the price increases will make the Welcome Pack more popular :D

Reactions: pattykay
I was MAD that I had to pay $20 a month for Game of Thrones last year so I bought an Apple TV and now I get HBO NOW for $15 a month and I can watch it anytime I want rather than have to wait for stuff to air over the satellite. I also have Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus and Netflix because Dish is pretty much a wasteland of reality crap. Even the "Science" channel has succumbed to the stupidity and that was my favorite channel. I like educational stuff that makes me smarter, not the reality crap which makes people dumber. The BBC is about to begin a subscription service for Americans so we can get actual BBC content, not the garbage on BBC America. There's only about three shows I watch on BBCA but I would rather get them from the BBC streaming without commercials, watermarks and idiots dancing around the lower third waving and jumping to tell you about a show coming back three months from now.
How exactly are these things Dish's fault or problem ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)