Dish Programming Changes (Effective August 1st)

Fashion TV - Anorexic Fashion. Pay extra. WHAT?!

Be glad you're getting it free from Dish. Hell, be glad you can get it for $10 per month from Dish. If you want it directly from the source, it's $300 per year! That is, if it's true that they finally encrypted it, because for quite a while it was in the clear. I'm not sure who's going to pay that -- I suspect Charlie will be their only revenue source.

I am hearing my official contacts are mad at me at the moment.

They should be mad at themselves, they are the ones who screwed up their website, it wasn't me. I just saw the words they had on their website and reported on them. It was Dish Networks screwup.

I'm not sure why you're surprised at this. The press release you posted on July 15th said,
New or existing customers who subscribe to a Classic package and would like to subscribe or upgrade to an HD add-on package will receive the new “HD & Platinum” add-on package for $10.00/mo.
I was actually surprised that they let any existing HD customers, either with Platinum already or without, switch, because even though it would be both sane and fair, it's NOT what they said they would do! The truly puzzling part is that the system was set up to enable them to do this, however. I can only guess that someone in I.T. at Dish thought that the press release as written must have been an oversight because what it suggests, that there would be two classes of customer in perpetuity, is so outrageous.

It would be real nice if a company could know what its marketing plan is going to be BEFORE they announce their plans.

marketing-dilbert.JPG

and
dilbert2006610630330.gif

and especially
20030209.gif

So now that we have HD + platinum pack , what happens ? Do we now lose the Plat channels or do we get to keep them for free as long as we never change our programming? Did DISH as usual not think things through and let all of us get it free? What a fiasco . DISH took something that could of been revolutionary and would of bought them a lot of good word of mouth from happy customers and turned it into another negative against themselves. How can they only offer this pack to new subs and not to existing subs? This is what I thought would happen: THey would let us bundle them together and then go up on the price come Next Febuary . But now it looks like it will change sooner than that. What a screwed up company and a screwed up way of doing business. I am sure now that any changes to the subs that got the new HD + plat pack will result in more churn and negative word of mouth against DISH . Thanks Charlie for following my suggestion and practicing the KISS method of business; KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID! Looks to me like the only part of that method that Charlie and DISH followed was the STUPID part.:rolleyes:

It makes no sense. Of course existing customers will be able to switch to "HD + Platinum". They removed PlatinumHD as a $10 add on and they can't possibly be saying that existing customers have absolutely no way to gain access to those channels.

The channels want viewers. They would not allow Dish to prevent its entire customer base from gaining access to those channels.

For the past few days the HD package page wasnt even coming up here. It was just reloading itself over and over.

Try quitting and restarting your browser when that happens. Seems to me they have cookie issues. I was getting blank pages often when trying to log in over the weekend, but if I rebooted the browser (Safari), the page would usually load at least partially. But if I logged out and tried again or to get into a different account I'd get the blank page again. It was better today.

Same cookie issues could be affecting which disclaimers different people are finding on different pages. Try 'Refreshing' the page if the info looks old.

I had an interesting thing happen Saturday. After I logged out of one account (parents) and logged into mine, I could see all of my account info on the main summary page. But when I clicked on 'Account Activity Since Last Statement', I got my parent's account info. It was fine later after logging out and back in again. Just a weird little fluke with their cookies.

It makes no sense. Of course existing customers will be able to switch to "HD + Platinum". They removed PlatinumHD as a $10 add on and they can't possibly be saying that existing customers have absolutely no way to gain access to those channels.

The channels want viewers. They would not allow Dish to prevent its entire customer base from gaining access to those channels.

Exactly. How can the plat pack that now no longer exist, be only available to new subs and not to existing subs? I thought that DISH had come to their senses and realized that 10.00 for the plat pack was a joke and no one would sub to those channels at that price, so they included them in the hd pack for that same 10.00 price. BUT NNNNOOOOOO!!!!! As usual they continue to screw up with this kind of "marketing" nonsense. GOD what a company!:mad:

It is really strange that Dish finally added LOGO to their lineup a few months ago, but only to the Platinum HD package. Now that Platinum is no longer a $10 add on, and LOGO is not broadcasting any HD programming (or signal), Dish should just make it available to everyone with Classic Silver or Gold service, whether or not they have HD or SD service.

It is really strange that Dish finally added LOGO to their lineup a few months ago, but only to the Platinum HD package. Now that Platinum is no longer a $10 add on, and LOGO is not broadcasting any HD programming (or signal), Dish should just make it available to everyone with Classic Silver or Gold service, whether or not they have HD or SD service.

if its not broadcast a signal then what diff does it make what package its in...there is nothing to see....

I hope I'm not to late. haven't been on the site for a cuople of days and just might have missed the platinum upgrade. As soon as I get home from work this morning I going to try to get platinum. wish me luck!!!

Not on my computer.
As I have posted somewhere, I have found that the "new" pages are different depending on what browser you use. I got different results with 7-8 different browsers. I just tried with Firefox 3.5.2, got no sign of the PlatPac anywhere. And with Safari 4.0.2 you have to click on the Packages and not the drop down and then go to the HD Packages area. With Firefox the banner and disclaimer does not appear on the page. And I get different sets of disclaimers with every browser.

So . . . . It looks like it depends on what browser you are using to get whatever results. New screwiness. At least they're ever surprising.

As I have posted somewhere, I have found that the "new" pages are different depending on what browser you use. I got different results with 7-8 different browsers. I just tried with Firefox 3.5.2, got no sign of the PlatPac anywhere. And with Safari 4.0.2 you have to click on the Packages and not the drop down and then go to the HD Packages area. With Firefox the banner and disclaimer does not appear on the page. And I get different sets of disclaimers with every browser.

So . . . . It looks like it depends on what browser you are using to get whatever results. New screwiness. At least they're ever surprising.
Yeh, with Firefox, as you said. Then with IE Tab, it shows up. So everybody stick with Firefox;);)

if its not broadcast a signal then what diff does it make what package its in...there is nothing to see....

I think the original poster was simply trying to state that LOGO, although flagged as an HD service, isn't supplying anything but SD content thus far. There is a signal.

All this confusion did was remind me that I could go in and get rid of Platinum and save a few bucks. I'll switch to the new pricing when there is something on Platinum I want to watch.

I hope I'm not to late. haven't been on the site for a cuople of days and just might have missed the platinum upgrade. As soon as I get home from work this morning I going to try to get platinum. wish me luck!!!

Just got home and ended my chat session w/ dish. Apearently they are still giving platinum for free. Wasn't sure since Scott said they were pissed at him for devulging the info to his loyal followers. Thanks Scott . Here is my chat session transcript.

Please wait while we find a representative to assist you...
You have been connected to (03) Rosy M.
(03) Rosy M: Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer, I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me 2-3 minutes to access your account and review the information you have already provided.
(03) Rosy M: Thank you for your time and patience.
(03) Rosy M: Good morning, Scott.
(03) Rosy M: How are you doing today?
Scott Utley: good and you
(03) Rosy M: Good to hear that!
(03) Rosy M: I am doing great! Thank you for asking.
(03) Rosy M: Now the Platinum package comes in one HD package.
(03) Rosy M: Do you want me to add the Platinum HD package?
Scott Utley: yes please, is that at the same cost i am at now?
(03) Rosy M: Exactly.
(03) Rosy M: I'd be happy to assist you with that.
Scott Utley: thank you
(03) Rosy M: You're very welcome.
(03) Rosy M: While making the changes on the account, I see that you have the best receiver on the account.
(03) Rosy M: I've added the Platinum HD package on the account.
Scott Utley: very happy with it
(03) Rosy M: Your monthly rate remains the same.
Scott Utley: when might i see the new channels?
(03) Rosy M: Glad to hear that.
(03) Rosy M: You will find the programming changes within 5 minutes.
Scott Utley: excellent thank you
(03) Rosy M: I see that you have been valued Dish Network customer for 5 years, we appreciate your business with us.
(03) Rosy M: You're very welcome.
(03) Rosy M: You are all set. Have I handled everything to your satisfaction?
Scott Utley: yes you have, thank you again
(03) Rosy M: I'm glad we were able to take care of that for you. Thank you for being a DISH Network customer, have a great day.
(03) Rosy M: Bye, Scott.
Scott Utley: you too
Scott Utley: bye rosyM
Thank you for visiting Dish Network. You may now close this window.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.
spacer.gif

This morning for the first time, my online account now accurately reflects the changes made on Saturday. Until now, there was no information coming from the HD dropdown

I was away from the Satguys site for a few days and look at all the good stuff I missed!

I just got off a chat with CSR and they added the Platinum package to my Classic Bronze with HD package for free. I held the CSR on the chat long enough to verify everything was correct with my account when the change went through. It was super easy and smooth. (I don't think I have ever said that about anything related with their customer service!) As you can see from the chat, I made it very clear that there was no confusion that I was getting it for FREE without any other changes to my service. As always, I kept a copy of the transcript for my records.

[FONT=&quot]Please wait while we find a representative to assist you...[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
You have been connected to (03) Matthew M.
(03) Matthew M: Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer, I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me 2-3 minutes to access your account and review the information you have already provided.
(03) Matthew M: Your patience is greatly appreciated.
(03) Matthew M: Hello.
Scott Hopton: I am interested in adding the Platinum HD package to my current subscription.
Scott Hopton: Hi Matthew.
(03) Matthew M: How are you doing?
(03) Matthew M: Sure, I will be glad to assist you.
(03) Matthew M: From 8/1/2009 you can add the Platinum HD to your account for free of cost.
(03) Matthew M: I see that you have been with Dish Network for the last 7 years and 3 months with good payment history. We really appreciate your business with Dish.
(03) Matthew M: If you wish I will go ahead and add the Platinum HD to your account.
Scott Hopton: And this will not change my current plan or channels I get? I will ONLY see the addition of the channels on the Platinum HD package with NO other additions or modifications to my plan or bill?
(03) Matthew M: Do you want me to add the Platinum HD to your account?
Scott Hopton: I currently have Bronze HD, right?
(03) Matthew M: That's correct.
Scott Hopton: How will my bill read after adding the FREE platinum package?
(03) Matthew M: This will not effect to your current programming.
Scott Hopton: Great! Sign me up!
Scott Hopton: I don't have to renew my 2 year commitment, do I?
(03) Matthew M: You will be billing HD & Platinum for $10.
(03) Matthew M: There is no need to of commitment to add the Platinum HD to your account. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] (03) Matthew M:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] I have added the Platinum HD to your account.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Scott Hopton:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Thanks for adding the Platinum HD to my account for free![/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]03) Matthew M:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Have I answered everything to your satisfaction?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
Scott Hopton: How long until I see the Platinum package channels on my DVR and will I need to do a check switch to update the guide to reflect that the channels are now subscribed to?
(03) Matthew M: You can view the programming right now.
(03) Matthew M: It is effective.
(03) Matthew M: What else can I assist you with?
Scott Hopton: That answers all of my questions. Thank you very much and have a great day.
(03) Matthew M: I'm glad that we were able to assist you with your issue today[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

This is just one more example of why I am a supporter of this site! Satelliteguys has saved me a TON of money over the years (I lurked for quite a while before joining) and now I added some more channels to my lineup (in HD) for free. Satellite guys rules!! I am proud to be a member.

A couple of things ...

I am hearing my official contacts are mad at me at the moment.

If anything Scott you are doing Dish a favor. Those that switch to the "with DVR" packages, when they try to bundle premium channels (HBO, Starz, etc) will now be charged more as the HD + Platinum is not considered a "premium".

As I have posted somewhere, I have found that the "new" pages are different depending on what browser you use.

To add to the confusion ...

If you go to the main Dish page and click on "Order Dish Now" it takes you here. Now, if you click on "Add HD channels for $10 more!" it gives you a list of the HD channels in each package. This page does seem to reflect more accurately what is currently being offered as it shows Nick HD, etc in the BronzeHD package which is completely different than the old/confusion causing "HD Programming" page.

I called and got the exact same story....for new subscribers only....i told him it makes no sense.....and I wanted to be transferred to the retention dept....the CSR left and came back saying that I will be getting a $10 credit and wont be paying for Platinum anymore.....about 10 minutes of work for $120/yr. saved.

I still think its BS that anyone has to call....DISH should have automotically credited Platinum subs and explained the reason why. Wonder how many platinum subs have no clue about this and are paying $120/yr. more than they should have to ????

I checked my account activity since last statement and this what showed up today.....the net effect is a 8.96 credit.....i assume the the 8.96 credit is due to a partial month (26 days)....10.00 X 26/31 = 8.39 close enuf :)

STATE TAXES -$0.58
08/03 08/03 GOLDHD 08/03 TO 08/28 -$8.38
08/03 08/03 PLATINUMHD 08/03 TO 08/28 -$8.38
08/03 08/03 HD & PLATINUM 08/03 TO 08/28 $8.38

I take it the CSR made the correct adjustment ......am I right ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts