Dish Programming Changes (Effective August 1st)

I have a question in to her asking her if a customer with the PlatinumHD package calls today and cancels it, and calls back tomorrow and resubs to the HD ackage, will they get the PlatinumHD package included at no extra charge?

She didn't have an answer for me for that one on the phone.

Hopefully an answer will arrive before midnight...

I just talked with Kathie Gonzalez from Dish Network and am told that the free PlatinumHD package is good only for new Dish Network HD Customers and existing Dish Network customers who have never had HD service. All others will continue paying $10 extra a month for the Platinum HD package

Well I just signed up for the 3 free months of Platinum HD, tried to use a CSR twice did not work and went to the web site and it worked, but if they don't do the free thing like they said before I will cancel after my 3 months are up.
There is nothing there that I really need and it will be easy to cancel.

I had the need to use Dish online tech support last night. While we were waiting on tests to run, the tech informed me that I would be getting the Platinum HD package for free. New subs get it added and existing subs get $10 off their bill. I didn't even ask, it was brought up by him. I also plugged SatGuys and he made the point that we get all the news before he does!

If the tech was accurate, that'd be really nice...

Well you know, that's what the original press release said, isn't it?

Just because its incredibly, bordering on criminally, stupid, doesn't mean Dish won't do it!

But what are we to make of the other fellow who claims that Dish told him that everyone would be getting Platinum for free, including eventually existing HD without Platinum customers?

Possibly different people at Dish are giving out different stories. That would also be par for the course for Dish!

I have been trying to get answers out of Dish for over a week now, and today was the first "official" contact I have had with Dish in that time.

The thing that was sent out to retailers (and that was sent to me said as follows:

“PlatinumHD Add-On No Longer Available – Effective August 1, 2009, the $10.00/mo. PlatinumHD add-on package will no longer be offered to new or existing customers upgrading to HD. Existing customers subscribing to the PlatinumHD add-on through July 31, 2009 may continue to receive the PlatinumHD add-on package until they elect to change their programming.”

The graphic they showed on the screen for the retailer chat said as follows:
attachment.php

It does not in anything that I have read say that you must be a first time Dish Network customer or an existing Dish Network customer which has never subscribed to an HD package before.

So in my mind (and many of yours) if I cancel my HD service then subscribe again tomorrow I should get the Platinum package at no extra charge with the line on my bill says "HD & Platinum" for $10 a month.

Confused yet? :)

I just got off the phone with a CRS and she said because I do not have Platinum HD now I can call tomorrow and add it to my Classic 250 w/Gold HD and there would be no extra charge. She also said if I already had Platinum HD I would have to continue paying the $10 a month. She told me she put a note on my account so when I call tomorrow they know I have been told this. Doesn't make sence to me but I'm glad I do not have it now.

Last edited:
Not to mention those of us taking advantage of the premium bundle discounts will not want to change their programming after Aug 1st or face a price increase. I really would like to know what I should do today July 31st to possibly get the Platinum package for free like new customers can get.

This all just proves once again that dish is terrible at marketing there product. There packages are so confusing and big that they cant even list all of it on there website. I like customizing as much as the next guy or girl but, none of it makes much sense. The only thing that seems to make sense is whats good for charlies wallet.

I currently have Classic Gold with HD and the Platinum promotion. However, I'm upgrading to the new Classic Gold DVR package tomorrow. Will I get the new HD and Platinum pack since I upgraded to a HD DVR and the install isn't until August 1?

I currently have Classic Gold with HD and the Platinum promotion. However, I'm upgrading to the new Classic Gold DVR package tomorrow. Will I get the new HD and Platinum pack since I upgraded to a HD DVR and the install isn't until August 1?
no

I have been trying to get answers out of Dish for over a week now, and today was the first "official" contact I have had with Dish in that time.

The thing that was sent out to retailers (and that was sent to me said as follows:

[/COLOR][/FONT]

The graphic they showed on the screen for the retailer chat said as follows:
attachment.php

It does not in anything that I have read say that you must be a first time Dish Network customer or an existing Dish Network customer which has never subscribed to an HD package before.

So in my mind (and many of yours) if I cancel my HD service then subscribe again tomorrow I should get the Platinum package at no extra charge with the line on my bill says "HD & Platinum" for $10 a month.

Confused yet? :)

Yes....plus it may be a no win situation as of you do it online, there is the charge right of 10.00 to do a change online right?

Please let us know if you find out if the cancel/add tomorrow will work!!!

I just had a chat with a CSR at Dish, she was VERY polite, and seemed to be informed, but who knows with what Charlie tells his CSRs.
Anyway, the chat was a positive experience, and according to what I was told I would be receiving Platinum HD at no charge after tomorrow. I have only been a Dish customer since 5/31 and I am still in the Platinum free for 3 month promotion, so I dont know if that has anything to do with it. Below I have posted a transcript of the chat.

"03) Grace W: Thank you for being a valued DISH Network customer, I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me 2-3 minutes to access your account and review the information you have already provided.
(03) Grace W: Your patience is greatly appreciated.
(03) Grace W: Platinum HD package will be included in the HD package.
(03) Grace W: There will not be any additional $10 charge for HD Platinum.
BOBBY V: So, in other words, since I am still in the promotional period for the Platinum HD package (first 3 months) there will be no additional charge
(03) Grace W: That's correct.
BOBBY V: I just wanted to make sure, I have read where current customers may continue to be charged
(03) Grace W: Have I answered everything to your satisfaction?
(03) Grace W: Please do not worry.
(03) Grace W: There will not be any charge"

I have been VERY satisfied as a Dish customer, but their marketing and positions toward current customers sucks. They have a great product, but a terrible corporate attitude.

I just did a chat as I have the Platinum Package under the 3 months free offer. They said I would not qualify for the new HD+Platinum package starting tomorrow because I already have Platinum. He did give me 5 more months of the Platinum Package free though for the trouble.

So the people who refused to give more money to dish will get some channels for free, while the ones that provided them with a little extra revenue for months will still have to pay? Smells like an elaborate plan to get me to discontinue service. :|

I just called and cancelled my PLAT HD. The Tech Support CSR told me to call back tomorrow and ask for the new HD w/ Plat package to get those channels back for the $10 package rate. Thus saving the $10 PLAT HD originally was costing me. He also said if I did nothing, they're not going to do anything. I would've just continued paying $10 for the package.

F' IT!!!...I'll roll the dice and see what happens!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)