DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

If you took all the sports channels out then you should be fine keeping all the other channels together as long as the price was lowered $15. If the AT120 was only $35 regular price without any sports at all that would be a hell of a deal. Then have all the sports channels in a package for $25-$30.

Now if you start putting other channels into packages along with an all sports package then I think you just price out everything and then no one could afford to put together a package of all the channels they want to watch. Going to full-out a-la-carte programming would make everything too expensive and would get rid of niche channels.

But why stop there? I think what they should do is just create packages of channels (even based on the sections on their website)... a family, sports, news, etc section. Charge me a set fee for each group of channels. Of course this also would destroy the "tier" system we have now with AT120, AT200 but they need to go away anyways because some channels I would be interested in having are on the higher tiers not because they are expensive but they are more niche.

But even true a la carte is ONLY more expensive if you want to keep all the channels you have now.... most of us would not keep all the channels we have now in a true a la carte system which is the whole point. So even though each channel would cost more we would not have as many and thus save money in that way. I personally only watch about 15-20 channels so I would very likely save money over what we have now as would most others.

Last edited:
But why stop there? I think what they should do is just create packages of channels (even based on the sections on their website)... a family, sports, news, etc section. Charge me a set fee for each group of channels. Of course this also would destroy the "tier" system we have now with AT120, AT200 but they need to go away anyways because some channels I would be interested in having are on the higher tiers not because they are expensive but they are more niche.

But even true a la carte is ONLY more expensive if you want to keep all the channels you have now.... most of us would not keep all the channels we have now in a true a la carte system which is the whole point. So even though each channel would cost more we would not have as many and thus save money in that way. I personally only watch about 15-20 channels so I would save money over what we have now as would most others.

You need to realize that channels would not remain the same price if they went to a la carte. A rarely watched channel may only cost 5 cents for Dish now but if it went to a la carte that channel may have to raise it's rate to $1 or more just to stay alive. Even though that channel is rarely watched it's possible it could be one of your favorite channels.

I really think you have to do both a la carte and package prices in order to keep everyone happy. Some people need packages in order to get a good variety of channels for a reasonable price. Trust me, there is no one way to make every single customer happy.

We wouldnt need a variety of channels if they would quit making up channels that just broadcast loops of a couple of shows over and over again every day

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Only a fool would believe any part of that piece of crap article by Thayer Evans and SI. SI lost what little credibility that had.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using SatelliteGuys mobile app

So over 60 players they interviewed lied along with former hostesses? When they started to ask the university about things like credentials of a drug 'counselor' that didn't check out Okl St started pulling them off the web. They also pointed out questionable practices that only a couple programs do. There was a lot of detail for that to all be total BS. And you don't think that after a decade of being a horrid program they started attracting top talent was a little suspecious? The thing that made me, the apparent fool you mentioned, think its true are the answers they got when they asked about these allegations. Many didn't deny it, they said they didn't remember it. That to me is a red flag so that once proof is found they can say, well I don't remember doing it. B.S..

Here's a question for everyone, if Dish does happen to drop all the Disney owned channels how long are you willing to hang in there until you switch to another provider? I'm willing to hang in there for about a month before I decide it's time to make a change. It's going to take a lot for me to switch from my Hopper set up and pay a cancellation fee.

I wouldn't switch. I'd HATE to lose espn but I'm not going back to snail DVRs, much less go back to cable.

If and I mean if it happens why switch? Just suspend service and get cable till it's over. Here we have TWC and WOW. No contracts at all.

Lets do some math.. How many times does .50 go in to $5.00? That's how many other channels I could get compared one way over priced espn channel.:eek:
Time for some sport packages. So if you want it you can pay for it.
I would welcome this and pay for such a package just to be able to watch folks complain when their monthly bill only goes down a few dollars
or stays the same without ESPN.

So over 60 players they interviewed lied along with former hostesses? When they started to ask the university about things like credentials of a drug 'counselor' that didn't check out Okl St started pulling them off the web. They also pointed out questionable practices that only a couple programs do. There was a lot of detail for that to all be total BS. And you don't think that after a decade of being a horrid program they started attracting top talent was a little suspecious? The thing that made me, the apparent fool you mentioned, think its true are the answers they got when they asked about these allegations. Many didn't deny it, they said they didn't remember it. That to me is a red flag so that once proof is found they can say, well I don't remember doing it. B.S..

You might want to check those facts yourself. SI has backtracked since then. Lets see SI make all those supposed recorded interviews available. Im traveling home from Vegas, but go check my posts in the ncaa thread for the links, none of those great facts SI posted checks out. Thayer Evans is an ass that has been trying to dig up dirt on osu for years and took a few comments from disgruntled players and tried to turn it into something. Since when were we a horrid program. The program has been rising slowly since the 90's. I should know since I was there.

You might want to check those facts yourself. SI has backtracked since then. Lets see SI make all those supposed recorded interviews available. Im traveling home from Vegas, but go check my posts in the ncaa thread for the links, none of those great facts SI posted checks out. Thayer Evans is an ass that has been trying to dig up dirt on osu for years and took a few comments from disgruntled players and tried to turn it into something. Since when were we a horrid program. The program has been rising slowly since the 90's. I should know since I was there.

I'll keep an eye on it.

I'm prepare for the drop, but I won't likely switch just because just the threats of it would likely get me at least a year of promo's and discounts with Dish just to wait it out a few days. Now what I'm thinking is the 30th is Monday - you have till Thursday (a Thursday night ESPN Prime time game) to black it out and make a point so to speak before people of 4 fan groups (texas vs Iowa State and Western Kentucky vs LMonroe) get totally pissed off for the disruption.

I do watch ESPN occasionally I catch a baseball game if my team is playing or I would watch MNF if my team were playing. I used to watch Sportscenter a lot, not so much anymore. I lost interest in college football a few years back. My youngest kid does watch the crapola on Disney (and I do mean crapola!). I watch a few shows on ABC but can only think of a couple off hand. My wife would miss ABC if it were gone. I am rooting for DISH big time in this one and wouldn't leave over an outage. Any outage would be short lived if it happens anyway. I'm not going anywhere regardless of how this turns out, but I do expect a deal will get done by the deadline.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

I'm prepare for the drop, but I won't likely switch just because just the threats of it would likely get me at least a year of promo's and discounts with Dish just to wait it out a few days. Now what I'm thinking is the 30th is Monday - you have till Thursday (a Thursday night ESPN Prime time game) to black it out and make a point so to speak before people of 4 fan groups (texas vs Iowa State and Western Kentucky vs LMonroe) get totally pissed off for the disruption.

I will be a very unhappy customer if I cannot watch this game.

I will be a very unhappy customer if I cannot watch this game.

You sure you want to watch that game?

Just kidding. Texas is a mess this year so hopefully ISU can pull off the upset at home. They always seem to beat one team they have no business beating.

I would have thought if they were going to start scrolling it would have been during the Monday Night Football game...that would have had maxium audience reach

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

There is still another MNF game before Oct 1, so don't despair, you might still get your wish. :)

But even true a la carte is ONLY more expensive if you want to keep all the channels you have now.... most of us would not keep all the channels we have now in a true a la carte system which is the whole point. So even though each channel would cost more we would not have as many and thus save money in that way. I personally only watch about 15-20 channels so I would very likely save money over what we have now as would most others.

I've said it for years that they should do like the Canadian Satellite systems do with theme packs you add to a basic locals + public service channels and shopping, religious channel pack( yes some people take shopping religiously;)) . Your locals plus sports pack, movie pack, news pack, children's pack,womens pack etc. It would make many people happy and everyone would feel less like they are subsidizing a channel they don't want to. They could even hide some of the cost of other channels in the basic locals pack if they wanted to and it would feel psychologically like we are not paying for something we don't watch. I can see DISH charging like $19.99 (same as welcome pack)for basic locals pack and you add your theme packs in till you get what you want. But that would take ending Forced bundling at a congressional level or legislation to that affect, or there would be contract disputes like crazy and you might end up with no channels at all due to black outs.

problems with DVD and DVR since hooking up new TV

Is this the same ehd ???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts