Dish Rumored to launch internet only TV package by the end of the summer

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...get-summer-debut-for-internet-tv-service.html

Dish is telling programmers, including Comcast Corp. (CMCSA)’s NBCUniversal, that a late summer release date is possible, said the people, who asked not to be named because the negotiations are private. Dish, the second-largest U.S. satellite-TV operator, already signed up Walt Disney Co. for the service last month. A&E Television Networks LLC, Time Warner Inc.’s Turner Broadcasting and CBS Corp. also have spoken with Dish about Internet-TV rights, several people said.

Charlie Ergen’s Dish is trying to be the first to sell a full package of live-streaming channels -- similar to those offered with a cable subscription -- over the Web. An Internet-based TV package would give consumers a new option beyond cable, satellite and phone companies. Dish is targeting 18-to-34-year-olds who only want to pay $20 or $30 a month to watch video on smartphones and tablets instead of a traditional TV set.

They aim to have locals plus at least the top 10 channels.

Great idea, but looks like they're already demanding channels to be bundled.... So instead of paying for channels we don't want over satellite, we'll pay for channels we don't want over internet. This could have been a great opportunity to 'break the ice' into more al-carte' options.

Yes, it looks like there will be some forced bundling. But, if they could keep it to just the top 10 cable channels and locals, it might be a package that would be of interest to a large number of people.

Well I don't see it succeeding if they force bundling. After all the forced bundling is causing most of the cord cutters to do just that, in the first place.:confused:

Great idea, but looks like they're already demanding channels to be bundled.... So instead of paying for channels we don't want over satellite, we'll pay for channels we don't want over internet. This could have been a great opportunity to 'break the ice' into more al-carte' options.

It's never, ever going to happen until the networks are willing to do it first. Dish is trying to do what they can with what they have.

Bundling isn't forced by Dish, it is forced by Viacom or Turner etc. If you want CNN, you are going to have to take all Turner channels. If all you want is CNN an Fox News, you need all Turner channels and all Fox Entertainment Group channels...

It isn't Dish's or DTV's or Comcast's fault.

There is no way cable companies will allow this to happen, as soon as this starts, cable/ broadband services will put into place hard data caps, the only company that might play nice is Comcast while they are trying to buy Time Warner, they want to look good.

Look what happen as soon as they got the approval to buy NBC / Universal, after the promise to play nice during the hearings, as soon as the ink was dry they started to F with Netflix.

My impression was that it would not be ala carte but you would have the option of what show to watch. Similar to like netflix, you just put in what show, and watch it. Instead of waiting to DVr at a specific time slot.

I'm ignorant with posting links from my cell but read an article that predicted ESPN, Disney, TLC, Discovery, TBS, TNT, USA, NBCSU and two Viacom channels (looks like they are thinking two channels from each of the major providers). It will also include at least two local networks from the big four with all four likely in "major" markets.

Kind of surprised NBCSU was mentioned. If accurate, they may be leveraging their NASCAR carriage beginning next year for carriage in introductory / starter packages.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I don't think this is going to go off flawlessly.

You want ESPN? OK, well Disney will give that to you ONLY if you add ESPN2, ABC Family, and Disney.

You want CBS? OK, well then you'll need to add Showtime, MTV, and the slate of Nick channels.

You want USA? OK, well then you'll need to add other Comcast properties.

You want Fox News? OK, well now you will need FS1, FX and this and that.

The technology is there for this, but its going to be hard going. If they start cutting a reduced package then they will cut their throats. If someone says I can get the "10 pack" from Dish of the top 10 channels, then sooner or later the cable and satellite companies will say they want to drop this and that to remain competitive.

I don't see this as working well and I think the costs will be parallel to existing cable and satellite packages.

I'd say you are wrong. I can see the making of a plan by DISH here, similar to their existing IPTV. There will be a base package, I see it as much smaller than the Top250. From there it will be either themed add ons, or some type of groups of channels. DISH isn't going in to this to duplicate the Satellite product. In fact, their international IPTV was a dry run for this.

I am guessing the ESPN/ ABC plans are allready in place with the ink dry. Probably part of the long delay in the agreement that was just finally reached between Dish and them.

I'm ignorant with posting links from my cell but read an article that predicted ESPN, Disney, TLC, Discovery, TBS, TNT, USA, NBCSU and two Viacom channels (looks like they are thinking two channels from each of the major providers). It will also include at least two local networks from the big four with all four likely in "major" markets.

Kind of surprised NBCSU was mentioned. If accurate, they may be leveraging their NASCAR carriage beginning next year for carriage in introductory / starter packages.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
That'd be too good to be true, unless they indeed, don't offer ESPN, but only The Deuce. But if it had NBCSN for a rate notably less than Top 200, my ears would certainly perk up. I'd kill to get TCM and NBCSN for $20 to $30 a month, with on demand rights, though. If no DVR and no on demand, no go.

Other important questions not discussed would be if there would be a network DVR service? Will you be able to skip commercials?

I won't pay for something like this. Like others have said, being required to pay for stuff I don't watch is the reason I left Dish and traditional pay TV in the first place. Luckily for me, true a la carte already exists on the internet. You just need to change your thinking a little bit. Channels don't matter to me anymore. It's the content that's important. Why pay for the entire History channel if you just want to watch Vikings?

A good chunk of what I was paying Dish to watch was available to me for free OTA. I like baseball so I subscribe to MLB.tv. I wanted to watch Fargo so I bought a season pass on iTunes. By the way, that season pass comes in the form of a 1080p stream that looks better than FX's 720p channel on Dish and without commercials. I supplement my OTA and season passes with the Netflix and Amazon Prime subscriptions I was already paying for before I canceled Dish. The theme here is that I pay for exactly what I want to watch. I don't pay for a group of channels someone packaged for me.

Buying a TV package from Dish over the internet doesn't sound appealing to me. It sounds like getting back into the system I just left. That's the beauty of the internet though. There is more choice available so I can get content my way and other people can sign up for this if they want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)