Dish supposedly adds 655,000 subs for Q2 2012

not for nuthin..but when dish is losing customers they usually ADD channels..the haven't added anything for awhile

Scherrman said:
You'd be surprised how many customers call us regarding channels. I look forward to football season when they call and ask every Saturday morning to find out what channel the Iowa football game is on.

That's actually one of the channels I mention when I customer education. ESPN starts around 140, cartoons around 170-ish, Big 10 438 on hopper (work IA/NE area). 439 on non hoppers if I recall, haven't looked in awhile...

You have to be a subscriber to read the whole thing.

Unfortunately I am limited to posting links to articles that are readily available on the net. But I see that even what does appear happens to support the notion that they hada small net loss of subs for the quarter. if someone has something else feel free to post it.

Wat a minute---hold the phone. We have another precinct reorting

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...-lost-10-000-net-subcribers-in-second-quarter

I don't think you are correct. the 665,000 figure is gross but the loss is described as a net loss not the gross loss.

These new articles are much more strait forward and definitely point to a loss... No press release from Dish? Is this the whisper number?

Maybe this is why Dish worked so hard to keep subs after the AMC loss?

I have no asnswer on why we can't finda press release but all of the reports have the sme numbers. Seems odd to me.

655K net is a reachable number...if it were 2002 and not 2012. I'm glad somebody clarified this was the "gross" number of additions. Regardless, the pay TV market is mature and saturated and, with the exception of Verizon and AT&T who are building-out their networks, video customers are hard to come by these days...and they're not very loyal.

Besides, the only way Dish is going to add 655K net subscribers per quarter is for Charlie to provide a lap dance for each new customer. And who and the hell wants a lap dance from Charlie? :D

655K net is a reachable number...if it were 2002 and not 2012. I'm glad somebody clarified this was the "gross" number of additions. Regardless, the pay TV market is mature and saturated and, with the exception of Verizon and AT&T who are building-out their networks, video customers are hard to come by these days...and they're not very loyal.

Besides, the only way Dish is going to add 655K net subscribers per quarter is for Charlie to provide a lap dance for each new customer. And who and the hell wants a lap dance from Charlie? :D

You are scaring me today. In another thread you posted something that sounded like you saw a movie where Danny DeVito was Batman. Now you have Charlie giving lap dances.

Well, sorry if I misled everyone with the title. In the 1st article, it looked like it was stating the Dish gained 665k subs (gross) and lost 10k subs for a net gain of 655k subs. Looks like I was dead wrong on this one.

Note: The Q2 quarter ended on June 30 so Dish would have made all those additions before Dish dropped the AMC channels.
Contrary to the huffing and puffing one might read at sites like this when a provider drops a channel, no doubt that only a tiny percentage of people will really end up switching.

I do acknowledge that the Viacom / DirecTV is a bit different as it includes so many channels and admittedly, "popular" ones too. That's not 1 or 2 channels though.

Seems like Dish is not really gaining any ground with adding subscribers. They have not really gained any ground for what, two or three years now? If they lose 650,000 gross that means 1 in 20 subscribers are leaving Dish Network every quarter or 1 in 5 subscribers leave each year. To me, that looks really bad. When you go over several years, every two years that may pan out to 1 in 2.5 subscribers and three years 1 in 1.25 Many people are switching providers all the time to get the best deals. They have to add just as many as they are losing to keep the count up. It takes them what, a few years to break even on a customer? And if my math is correct an average of 1 in 2.5 subscribers quits after the end of two years in which is when most people's contracts are up. I am surprised that they have not come out with three year contracts yet.

Well, sorry if I misled everyone with the title. In the 1st article, it looked like it was stating the Dish gained 665k subs (gross) and lost 10k subs for a net gain of 655k subs. Looks like I was dead wrong on this one.

not your fault it was worded very poorly and it took awhile for other outlets to post anything.

^^^ thats why it becomes important to keep the existing subs happy...& maybe Dish has to see what kind of offers they can give to existing subs espeically if they are out of contract. I say this because for new subs....they get quite a lot of perks. Its about time..dish gives some of those perks to existing subs..& heck...let them re-sign for 2 years for getting those same perks as new subs.

IMO...the recent Dish offer of giving premiums for 1/2 price for 6 months was a good move.

Seems like Dish is not really gaining any ground with adding subscribers. They have not really gained any ground for what, two or three years now? If they lose 650,000 gross that means 1 in 20 subscribers are leaving Dish Network every quarter or 1 in 5 subscribers leave each year. To me, that looks really bad. When you go over several years, every two years that may pan out to 1 in 2.5 subscribers and three years 1 in 1.25 Many people are switching providers all the time to get the best deals. They have to add just as many as they are losing to keep the count up. It takes them what, a few years to break even on a customer? And if my math is correct an average of 1 in 2.5 subscribers quits after the end of two years in which is when most people's contracts are up. I am surprised that they have not come out with three year contracts yet.
They did not lose 650,000. They lost 10k.

I know I am going to try to sneak in a question on the conference call and ask about the BS surcharge's.

I truly enjoy analyst asking hard question and listening to the responses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)