Dish supposedly adds 655,000 subs for Q2 2012

If the figures are accurate, than it is good news for Dish as it means they have seemed to stop getting worse and are now heading in the right direction for net addition of subs in the subsequent quarters. But we won't know until the conference call.

Satellite is still amazingly robust compared to the "triple play" threat that all the "experts" in the press who have been saying that satellite is near dead--for the last 10 YEARS! Let's see, Direct #2 and Dish #3. It wasn't supposed to be this way. Satellite was supposed to have been decimated back in 2003.

True, Verizon FiOS (along with OTT) is the real threat due to its superior all fiber network of RELIABLE NO CAP ISP and extremely robust video offerings and superior PQ. However, Verizon is still in a state of semi-hibernation with its VERY EXPENSIVE roll-out. FiOS is SO CLOSE to my neighborhood--has been for YEARS, but Verizon won't finish the roll-out because they want better numbers on their current service area before continuing into my neighborhood. That is good news for all the other MVPD's, but probably really good news for Dish and Direct who are clearly superior to Charter Crap Cable in my neck of the woods. But IF Verizon ever get's their FiOS butt into our neighborhood, it's gonna be a tough call as (except for price--a big issue, admittedly) is the superior service, especially the ability to do more semi-cord cutting with FiOS bandwidth and NO CAPS.

Last edited:
600,000 would be a huge number, should be intresting to see what the official numbers are

If the figures are accurate, than it is good news for Dish as it means they have seemed to stop getting worse and are now heading in the right direction for net addition of subs in the subsequent quarters. But we won't know until the conference call.

Satellite is still amazingly robust compared to the "triple play" threat that all the "experts" in the press who have been saying that satellite is near dead--for the last 10 YEARS! Let's see, Direct #2 and Dish #3. It wasn't supposed to be this way. Satellite was supposed to have been decimated back in 2003.

True, Verizon FiOS (along with OTT) is the real threat due to its superior all fiber network of RELIABLE NO CAP ISP and extremely robust video offerings and superior PQ. However, Verizon is still in a state of semi-hibernation with its VERY EXPENSIVE roll-out. FiOS is SO CLOSE to my neighborhood--has been for YEARS, but Verizon won't finish the roll-out because they want better numbers on their current service area before continuing into my neighborhood. That is good news for all the other MVPD's, but probably really good news for Dish and Direct who are clearly superior to Charter Crap Cable in my neck of the woods. But IF Verizon ever get's their FiOS butt into our neighborhood, it's gonna be a tough call as (except for price--a big issue, admittedly) is the superior service, especially the ability to do more semi-cord cutting with FiOS bandwidth and NO CAPS.

FiOS numbers (net adds) were way down this quarter; they only added 120K subscribers. Yep, the FiOS rollout is moving slowly due to the capital investment involved - hugely expensive to deploy per subscriber. How long have you been waiting on FiOS? We've had FiOS in our TX home since early 2008, but I have been waiting on FiOS in Virginia (I work a lot out of DC) since October 2006 when they were awarded a Cable TV and provided service in an initial build-out area. In 2006 they were 3-miles away from our house...they are still 3-miles away and I do not know if the central office has been upgraded to support FiOS. Fortunately, Verizon is require to provide service to no less than 65% of residents by October 2013 (7-year threshold) so Verizon had better start digging.

Thats not counting the subscribers that left during this quarter. Thats almost a garentee!

The rest of the thread shows that the original article was poorly worded but there is now clarity on the mumbers.

...My list in no particular order:

7) Resurrect the Dish Remote Access website. (DishOnline has been so cumbersome, if not just plain broken, for programming and watching stuff from my receiver, I personally refuse to use it.)

In case you didn't know, you can still access DRA using the following link:

DISH Remote Access Login

I have been using DRA for a long time without difficulty. I have to agree with you that Dishonline is really bad by comparison.

Has the churn been this horrendous in past quarters? Obviously Dish needs to do something about retention. My list in no particular order:

1) Add OTA module to Hopper
2) Make it available on accounts with other Dish receivers
3) Negotiate with AMC
4) Negotiate with Disney
5) Get some streaming on BB@home besides the ancient/unheard of stuff from the old Platinum channels. (OK, some are pretty good, but I literally can't watch most of those programs; they are that bad.)
6) Standalone SlingPlayer
7) Resurrect the Dish Remote Access website. (DishOnline has been so cumbersome, if not just plain broken, for programming and watching stuff from my receiver, I personally refuse to use it.)
8) Ditch the obscene fees, such as $17 per duo DVR, or $7 for each and every Joey.
9) Put everything in AEP. Well, at least BB@home...
10) Give us a pack w/o sports
11) Gives us a la carte! (ducking for cover)

Easier said than done. If they were able to do all of this how much would you be willing to pay for TV. No way Dish does this and doesn't have a significant price hike. Once they have the price hike, customers may like the additions but they'll start leaving because DirecTV has great promo prices.

Easier said than done. If they were able to do all of this how much would you be willing to pay for TV. No way Dish does this and doesn't have a significant price hike. Once they have the price hike, customers may like the additions but they'll start leaving because DirecTV has great promo prices.

Well, I was thinking Dish could implement some of them and reduce churn. Some are not realistic at all, e.g. #11, which I expect will never happen without government intervention. Some of these items will cost very little, such as 2, 6, and 7. #1 of course is coming in a month starting with the letter "J". Or "A". Or "S". ;) And while contracts probably prevent Dish from offering programming packs w/o sports, I'd sure go for it and I would expect my package price to go down.

As far as the obscene fees, how do you suppose Dish grew so fast when receivers cost $5/ea regardless of DVR or dual tuner? And doesn't DirecTV charge far less for additional receivers?

Dish's game plan to add subs appears to be their foray into wireless. I do not think they are doing it to flip to AT&T or VZ. I believe they see the writing on the all and know that satellite TV's days are numbered. I am not saying that Dish and DIRECTV are going to be out of business any time soon, but I would not be surprised that if in 10 years their number of subs is half of what it is today. Whether or not the industry likes it the internet model will eventually win. Fewer and fewer people are just channel surfing and watching what ever happens to be showing. They all want specific shows and they want them on demand. This is something cable/UVERSE/FIOS can deliver today, not something that Dish/DIRECTV can easily do.

Dish has a good start with PTAT and essentially VOD for the big 4. That is the main reason they are suing Dish, not for autohop but because they view Dish as running an unlicensed VOD service. I think the recent update to the hopper was a defense against the suit. Now you can pick the network and days, and more importantly it goes into a disk space that you can control and use for other things. If you think about what it was before, essentially you had a week of VOD, it recorded everything unless you turned it off and it did not use up your DVR space.

The video model is just starting to crack under the strain of the internet. The programmers know that if they do not put up free or low cost legal ways to get the programming that it will be stolen and watched anyways. It is only a matter of time before someone starts to offer current programming over the internet, bypassing the current distribution system. More and more will follow, leading to less and less value of Dish's video services. DBS companies can only discount their services so much to attract subs. I believe Dish when they say they want to deliver VOD via their wireless network.

I believe they see the writing on the all and know that satellite TV's days are numbered.
Spoken like someone who has no idea of the geography of the United States with the unrealistic belief that the entire country has access to broadband Internet.

Spoken like someone who has no idea of the geography of the United States with the unrealistic belief that the entire country has access to broadband Internet.

Note I said 1/2, not gone completely. There will be millions that will need satellite, a valuable market that they can sell into, but in cities and towns with real broadband their days are really numbered.

Dish & Directv need triple play to compete in the future to match what the competition is doing, offering something the competition does not have, or be competitive on price if they cannot offer what the competition does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)