DISH to Become National Facilities-based Wireless Carrier

To be fair, streaming services and $1 Redbox discs killed video rental stores.
I was working in a hifi store when DVDs were first introduced. Almost all brands and models had the cheapest looking construction paper coupons for something called "Netflix". Actually a good idea to mail DVDs since, at that time, when you went into Blockbuster and asked to see their DVDs, they'd pull a shoe-box from underneath the counter and that was your "selection". But Netflix also told us their plan was to eventually send the "DVD" over the Internet. I laughed so hard since it took my DishPlayer WebTV about 10 minutes to download a one minute MPEG video.

Sure wish I didn't laugh and instead, bought some stock! :eek:

I was working in a hifi store when DVDs were first introduced. Almost all brands and models had the cheapest looking construction paper coupons for something called "Netflix". Actually a good idea to mail DVDs since, at that time, when you went into Blockbuster and asked to see their DVDs, they'd pull a shoe-box from underneath the counter and that was your "selection". But Netflix also told us their plan was to eventually send the "DVD" over the Internet. I laughed so hard since it took my DishPlayer WebTV about 10 minutes to download a one minute MPEG video.

Sure wish I didn't laugh and instead, bought some stock! :eek:
I remember hearing an interview on NPR with the Netflix CEO before streaming was a thing.He basically said "You"ll notice our name is Netflix not Mailflix."

To be fair, streaming services and $1 Redbox discs killed video rental stores. Dish might have hastened Blockbuster's demise, but the writing was on the wall.

Seems even the few remaining Family Video stores are shutting down- selling CBD in their stores didn't slow it down either.

The Family Video stores in my area are not closing yet that I am aware of. N.E. Nebraska

Reactions: TheKrell
Not certain why they didn't stick with the BB trademark on Dish, but it was doomed.

That mystified me as well. P&G is a notable example of a big name conglomerate that likes to buy up competitors but keeps the brand for themselves. Of course they didn't do that with my favorite brand of toilet paper, so everybody can be stupid from time to time.

That mystified me as well. P&G is a notable example of a big name conglomerate that likes to buy up competitors but keeps the brand for themselves. Of course they didn't do that with my favorite brand of toilet paper, so everybody can be stupid from time to time.

Northern?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Northern?

White Cloud. They bought them out for their paper technology and then shut them down. The TP was reborn as Charmin Ultra Soft, which IMHO is a stupid made-up name with nothing going for it. P&G then sold the brand name to Scott who slapped it on one of their manifestly inferior products. What a waste of a gread name. Scott should slap the name "single ply sandpaper" on those awful rolls. :mad: That would be more evocative of the Scott product than White Cloud.

Charlie could be in some trouble with how he purchased that spectrum back in 2015....

Dish CEO Charlie Ergen is known as a great poker player, but not good enough to overcome a weak hand that has now resulted in a potentially devastating blow to his business. FOX Business has learned the Federal Communications Commission ruled unanimously Tuesday night that Ergen improperly bid on $12 billion worth of wireless spectrum back in 2015, and received a $3-plus billion discount through a government program designed to benefit small businesses. Ergen bid on the spectrum not through Dish Network, a massive satellite and soon-to-be 5G carrier, but through an outfit known as Northstar Wireless, which he has a stake in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)