Dish to expand HD

It's good news that E* put out a press release stating that they were adding new HD channels. I'm a little disappointed though. E* is launching 3 new sats this year (according to a press release) and they are only capable of adding 24 new HD channels. Something seems wrong here. I was hoping that with 3 new sats, they would have up to 200 HD channels by the end of the year.

They have to have actual HD channels to add but it may have to do with slots and the potential to add LNBs and more hardware at the individual customer's sites too.

It should be interesting and they should've said this before now though.

I need to issue a press release that I intend to get a haircut in 2008. Although my avatar looks like I do not need one, I do intend to get one at some point in 2008.

Just in case anyone was wondering..... not that I am getting one today, or next week, or next month.. but I do intend on getting one in 2008.

What a joke.

Dish better be lightinhg up USA and SCFI in the next week or they're gonna lose a ton of customers.

DirecTV is raking them over the coals and last years Q3 numbers show that.

Tiered HD is what people said they wanted here.. They said they wanted to be able to JUST get SD simulcasts in HD. Those people will get what they want.

I don't see the big deal as long as I don't pay more than what I do now. If the big plan stays at 20 bucks, and there's a 10$ option for those who want just SD simulcasts, then life is good.

Very well said and it makes perfect sense to me. :up

Perhaps you need to decide once and for all if you're going to ride it out or jump off the wagon.

A lot of people have decided to ride it out and a lot of people have decided to jump off. Nothing wrong with either. As Dish HD customers, we have to decide if we're going to keep picking up the Dish Network remote or pick up the phone to call DirecTv or the Cable company.

I am jumping off as soon as I am done getting everything off my external drive that is protected against viewing on a PC. I still have the right to call them out when they lie. They do not have 76 HD nationals. Liars.

It's good news that E* put out a press release stating that they were adding new HD channels. I'm a little disappointed though. E* is launching 3 new sats this year (according to a press release) and they are only capable of adding 24 new HD channels. Something seems wrong here. I was hoping that with 3 new sats, they would have up to 200 HD channels by the end of the year.

If they want to reach 100 channels they need to be adding a whole lot more than 24 channels. Their math is fuzzy.

Their math is fuzzy.

No more or less fuzzy than the other carriers, in all seriousness.

Comcast (and some other cable MSOs) are claiming to have the most HD because of their VOD library. Some of this content costs additional fees either in PPV concept or otherwise.
D* counts RSNs, but also leaves out the fact that adding some of their channels involves more than the 9.99 a month.

If anything, E* is merely doing the same thing as the other guys. Truth be told, that's the right way to go about it compared to being entirely honest with count and the consumer saying "D* has more" or "Cable has more".

The consumer just sees the number and are largely taken by marketing. The fact E* has remotely the same amount of subs as D* is impressive purely because D* practically sells their soul on every Papa Johns box, in the major retailers (BB, CC), and in ads on most channels.

If they want to reach 100 channels they need to be adding a whole lot more than 24 channels. Their math is fuzzy.

Didn't Direct promise 100 by the end of 2007? I guess they were lying too, cause they didn't achieve that promise (again) either!

Slamminc,

Maybe the OP is using Dish's Fuzzy Math. The Average American Citizen weighs about 200 pounds, this means Dish only has to lose 100 Subscribers to lose a TON of subscribers:eek:

John
Your math is fuzzy as well since 200x10 = 2000(a Ton) So the real answer would be 10 customers.

What a joke.

Dish better be lightinhg up USA and SCFI in the next week or they're gonna lose a ton of customers.

DirecTV is raking them over the coals and last years Q3 numbers show that.

Just you know the last Q3 numbers had nothing to do with HD because D* did not have the new HD's at that time.

There is reason to believe the two HD's you mentioned will be added the same time the $10 HD pack is in place, in the same press release to make it more juicy then it really is.

So much for quality in picture. I wish my eyes weren't 20/20 because there is nothing better on the market than Dish Network's 622/722. Sorry Charlie, but your visually enabled customers can't take yet another year of DishHD-Lite.:(

Off to FiOS I go...three days and counting.

That's my #1 criteria too. My 18 month Dish contract expires in 4 weeks. Been with E* since '97.

But unless there is hope for an improvement in HD PQ, I'm ready to go elsewhere.

How's D*'s HD PQ these days?

The DPP44 would only have room for 4 LNB's or does the "118.7 NC "in his message mean not connected

Yes the NC means not connected. I like to be able to pick up all the satellites. I still have 2 superdishes, one at 121 and one at 105 not connected. 148 is also not connected. But, if anything exciting happens I can run and connect a satellite... It has been a few years since anything exciting has happened. The 118.7 is very useful for peaking the Dish 1000+, but other than that I do not connect the LNB to the switch.

It is possible to have 5 satellites at once, I have done it with a combination of DPP44 and DP21s. Dish at one time talked of a DPP64 switch, but they never came out with it.

I have a couple single point dishes on the roof ready to point at 77 or 86.5 if needed at a moments notice :D

I would have to assume these channels are coming soon! as they are talking about channel packages that start feb 1st. I am just excited as I have been wanting Cleveland to come on line for awhile now and it seem as though its going to happen and soon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)