DISH -VS- VOOM - A Settlement has been reached!

I think dish should just get this over and pay a fair price. It's holding up the FCC case(could be wrong word) I want my dish phone. (Or at least try it)

Any one else noticed that when this carriage agreement dispute that was caused by the voom suit caused the FCC to but the brakes on the waiver for dish?

Chiller might be okay if NBC would get off their duff and make it HD like they promised several years ago. While I see a show in the guide for Chiller that I might like to watch, I don't like watching in SD

Any one else noticed that when this carriage agreement dispute that was caused by the voom suit caused the FCC to but the brakes on the waiver for dish?

Light Squared is what held up the waiver for Dish. While Dish's spectrum is not in danger of interfering with GPS like Light Squared's was, the FCC decided they needed to make a new set of rules to govern conversion of satellite spectrum to land based spectrum. So, Dish is waiting on the new rules to be redone, not the VOOM lawsuit.

well it looks like dish is sticking with carrying only chiller anyway. i bet that its part of a package deal or they wouldn't carry it either.
I wonder why Dish doesn't just add FearNet already. How much can it cost? They already have Sony Movies, and other Sony channels. I'm sure they could strike a deal with Sony to add FearNet. Maybe they're waiting for the NBC/Vivendi/Universal/Comcast/YourCompanyHere contract negotiations to drop Chiller first?

I wonder why Dish doesn't just add FearNet already. How much can it cost? They already have Sony Movies, and other Sony channels. I'm sure they could strike a deal with Sony to add FearNet. Maybe they're waiting for the NBC/Vivendi/Universal/Comcast/YourCompanyHere contract negotiations to drop Chiller first?
i've wondered the same thing for 2 years. dish launched FEARnet's sister channel SMC when it was launched (or right after launch). I was thinking it was comcast holding up a deal. but, comcast now owns a part of chiller as well. FEARnet has gained some good shows such as tales from the crypt. If you scroll through all the AMC posts on the dish facebook page you can find a FEARnet request every now and then. I quit asking for it because it got me in trouble with dish before. comcast/nbc could make chiller and FEARnet one channel as well.

Too expensive plus I hear they will only package it with 3Net.Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
I have no use for 3Net at the moment, but I'm sure others would like it. Direct also has 3Net but no Fearnet... I don't know if I buy the "too expensive" line either. Since very few outlets are carrying Fearnet, wouldn't that make them desperate to get it carried? Dish already has SMC, EPIX, GSN, TV Guide Channel, and I've heard will be adding TVOne shortly. That leaves FearNet and 3Net in that whole suite.

Anyone who reads this thread knows I am not a legal scholar, the fact you think you need to know enough about the law to figure that out, just underscores how clueless you are

You are the one that made the comment about knowing how civil law woks, I didn't:

Now I know why you had reached that conclusion, because you have no clue what I was talking about, and also no clue how a civil trial works most times.

Before you try to tell people what I said, make sure you understand what I said first, otherwise only speak for yourself, not others.

If we assume the analyst's source was good, we basically have Cablevision/AMC at $1B, Dish at $200M, and they need to meet somewhere in between. Therefore, for all that we know, Cablevision/AMC likely have been more willing to settle, consider that they asked for way more than that in court.

Of course the above are speculations, but they have some base to go by, even if the base is questionable, still is better than you having no base at all.

I don't know what my comment to costanzas_wallet has to do with you so I won't bother responding.

Who are these analysts you keep referring to? A few days ago I quoted Alan Gould, of Evercore Partners, who assigned an 85% chance that a legal settlement worth $1B could be had, a 14% chance of a settlement of $3.5B + damages and interest, with the AMC channels remaining off Dish and a 1% chance that AMC could lose the lawsuit and see its channels stay off Dish. Anyone that watches CNBC, reads Bloomberg, AOL News, or NBCNews.com, to name a few, has seen or heard Alan Gould at one time or another.

I understand more than you are willing to admit. :)

...Who are these analysts you keep referring to? A few days ago I quoted Alan Gould, of Evercore Partners, who assigned an 85% chance that a legal settlement worth $1B could be had, a 14% chance of a settlement of $3.5B + damages and interest, with the AMC channels remaining off Dish and a 1% chance that AMC could lose the lawsuit and see its channels stay off Dish. Anyone that watches CNBC, reads Bloomberg, AOL News, or NBCNews.com, to name a few, has seen or heard Alan Gould at one time or another.

I understand more than you are willing to admit. :)

Again, knock it off with your facts and linear arguments PT. ;)

Voom is out for blood, and perhaps even a pound of flesh, and they could not have a retained a more talented nor aggressive trial attorney (Orin Snyder) in helping them succeed. Based on the past 4 1/2 years of evidence collected, coupled with the last 3-weeks of embarrassing (for Dish) courtroom blunders and negative press, I see Dish crawling up to Voom with their belly exposed and tail tucked between their legs. They are no position to request anything less than a fair settlement, if they're lucky. I don't see Voom taking anything less than what they feel Dish owes them for crapping in their bed and pissing in their Wheaties...and doesn't even include what they did by not renewing the AMC channels.

Seriously, does anybody honestly feel that Dish is in the drivers seat in these settlement discussions? Not a chance! Either Voom is offered and accepts a fair settlement offer or Charlie is taking the stand on Monday to explain contradictions between his sworn deposition and his infamous deleted/recovered emails (not to mention Annex A of the LLC Agreement and other documents). Charlie is smart guy, but Mr. Snyder will abuse him with his own words and with the truth...unless Charlie simply admits he was well-aware of the spend requirement included overhead and that Voom had spent more than 100M each year on the service. Either way, case over and the outcome is given to the jury. But not before Judge Lowe instructs the court that Dish deleted evidence, which they can conclude would have further supported Voom's case. And not before Mr. Snyder points out how they recovered just a couple of the damning emails that were deleted over a 6-12 month period.

As I said in another post to jacmyoung, I am not taking sides with Voom anymore than I am Dish. I had no opinion of the case until Dish took that hit this past spring regarding the dumping of emails. The NY Supreme Court applied Zubalake (see Zubalake v UBS Warburg LLC) in assessing the duty to preserve electronically stored information (ESI). Based upon what I read regarding the document dumping, EchoStar allowed employees to determine which documents were relevant to the case, and in doing so permitted a slew of relevant emails to be permanently purged. Some here have said that it wasn't Charlie's fault, the emails were purged automatically. The court disagrees, "a party should not be permitted to fake a willingness to engage in settlement negotiations to allow it to freely shred documents and purge e-mails. Such a rule ignores the reality of how business relationships disintegrate.”

I'm not a lawyer, but I do read a lot of civil and criminal cases, and one of my favorite blogs is [law] Professor Doug Berman's "Sentencing Law & Policy." I have been frequenting his blog for many years and have learned enough to understand the rules and procedures of the court, and how to understand court rulings, etc. Its obvious enough to you and me that Voom has a strong case, if for no other reason everything that has come to light since the first of the year. For example, double-deleting documents in and of itself seems innocent enough, we all do it. What it shows is that the double-deleter, Carolyn Crawford, could have preserved the documents, had an opportunity to restore the documents to their original place, but choose to delete them, even though emptying the recycle bin does not actually delete the file.

The initial court filing alone would have given Dish an opportunity, but all the dirty deeds Dish has done, they must know that settling is not the worst of two evils.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)