Dish Wants $417 For A Free Install

OBE1

Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
:mad:

Beware the installer’s paperwork. Saturday I have Dishes 3rd party install company come by my house to replace my 811 and my 522 with a brand new VIP 622. My House is cabled to the wazoo I have 3 coax runs to my four TV's and phone lines to each. While the Tech is outside replacing my dish 500 with the 1000.2 I open the receiver cable it to my TV install the Sound connections phone line and program the remotes to the TV in the main room and the one in the bedroom. The installer comes in to tell me he wants to run additional cable into the house and I decline telling him i will just use the home distribution port on the 622 to activate the other 3 TV's I have. Just hook the receiver to the TV in the main room and i would take care of the rest. Everything goes smoothly and the install is done in about an hour. The guy (jokingly) asks me if I would like to join him on his next install. I politely decline preferring to play with my new toy instead. I sign the paper work and its a done deal. I look on line the following day and there is a bill on my account for $417. I call customer service to see what the deal is and they tell me that the install would cost me that much because the installer mirrored 5 TV sets in my house. I tell them no way he only cabled 1 set. They tell me sorry Sir we have a signed work order by you stating so. In disbelief I check the work order and sure enough in barly legible writing it says installed 5 TV's. I call the install company and instead of thinking this will be an easy fix I get attitude from the owner saying Sir you signed the work order are you telling me what our guy is saying isn't true? I'm like get the guy on the phone and he will tell you himself what went down. They promise a conference call the next day me, the installer and his boss between 11 and 12. 12:30 I cal them oh sorry your installer is in court this morning (hmm wonder what that’s about) he will be in the office at 3 and we will call you then. Its 4:30 I’m still waiting... BOTTOM LINE PEOPLE READ EVERYTHING ON THE WORK ORDER BEFORE THE INSTALLER LEAVES. They could say they installed 10 TV's the final price isn't disclosed on the work order and you are stuck with a $1000 install bill trying to explain to Dish that what you signed isn't true.

To Be Continued...

Reading paperwork before signing is a must always.

And when dealing with Dishnetwork if the install is not done properly, or to your satisfaction NEVER sign the work order until the job is done right.

Good luck mate. You may want to call the BBB and check your state attorney genaerals web page to see if others have had bad expieriences with this company.
I hope you get a credit for the amopunt.
Also, email ceo at echostar dor com. Some of the local News Stations love going after scammers, (hint hint).

It sounds like your local retailer pulled a fast one on you. But don't despair, you *DO* have 3 days from the initial day of install to back out of your contract. At this point, I certainly would.

It sounds like your local retailer pulled a fast one on you. But don't despair, you *DO* have 3 days from the initial day of install to back out of your contract. At this point, I certainly would.

I would call the install company tomorrow and let them know if the problem is not fixed by the end of the business day that you will cancel.

I forgot about the 3 days to get out.

Good point webbydude

$417 for a free professional bone job?

Now I know why I always do my own installs! Also having it "professionally installed", I'd never get 24"/24"/30"/24" separate dishes for my 110/119/129/148 setup so why bother ... Man that 129 signal level rocks on the 30"

Thanks for the great info guys. I called the guy who actually did the work (thank god for caller ID) he said he had spoken to his boss to have the charge removed. I will call first thing in the morning to see if they have removed the charge. If not the next call will be to dish to cancel but that would be 4 days crap I should call them now so I don't get hosed. Good thing is I have recorded all phone conversations and have the installer admitting the paper work was messed up. Still what a bonehead move on my part not reading the contract. How come they can do stuff like that and not disclose anywhere in the paper work what the final cost would be? There is a section on the contract for extra charges and nothing was filled in. Could be another possible out. Sorry rambling now.

Satellite Guys Are The Best.

Thanks!!!!! OBE1

An installer cannot just add additional charges to the customers bill without modifying a work order with Dish, and even if he did they would still want to speak to the customer to verify the additional charges.

I have never heard of this happening, even if it did then Dish would want to collect a credit card payment from the customer.

On a side note, they would need to actually put the amount of charges directly on the invoice that you signed.

Consider this, if an installer could just add charges to the customers bill I would see this all the time, especially for things like installing a phone Jack where its not within 25 feet of the receiver.

Call Executive offices... 866-319-4564 or email CEO@echostar.com

Its sub-contractors like this that deserve to loose their contract with Dish

Resolved!! Yey

The installer came clean and admitted the language used mislead the billing department at dish. They called to get it sorted but whomever they spoke to said "the customer (me) would have to call in". Bottom line is they wanted to make it right and thats what counts. I called dish from the number suggested in this feed by Claude (thanks Claude) and all the charges were reversed.

Thanks To...
Bob at Millennium Security
Nancy at Dish

Special Thanks To..
The members and founders of Satellite Guys

Um did you by chance actually read the whole post or just skim it?
Yes, I did. Did you ?? Dish can only bill him based on what they're told. They were told "...because the installer mirrored 5 TV sets in my house. They tell me sorry Sir we have a signed work order by you stating so. In disbelief I check the work order and sure enough in barly legible writing it says installed 5 TV's."

Reading paperwork before signing is a must always.

And when dealing with Dishnetwork if the install is not done properly, or to your satisfaction NEVER sign the work order until the job is done right.

Amen to that, Dish is terrible about this type of stuff.

I had a referal Job I did a few years ago for a dealer, Dish spelled the guys name wrong, the customer noted that on the paperwork signed his name correctly spelled, and you guessed it good ol Dish wouldn't pay. The dealer got it straitened out, later. Dish Sucks I hate them!!!!

Amen to that, Dish is terrible about this type of stuff.

I had a referal Job I did a few years ago for a dealer, Dish spelled the guys name wrong, the customer noted that on the paperwork signed his name correctly spelled, and you guessed it good ol Dish wouldn't pay. The dealer got it straitened out, later. Dish Sucks I hate them!!!!

HUH?!? I'm not quite sure how not getting paid for a job has ANYTHING to do with a customer not being satisfied with an install. Your particular instance is like comparing apples to the OP's "oranges".

HUH?!? I'm not quite sure how not getting paid for a job has ANYTHING to do with a customer not being satisfied with an install. Your particular instance is like comparing apples to the OP's "oranges".

It's simple; The tech screwed up this original posters paperwork, causing him to be billed extra, In my case Dish rep that sold the customer a system then spelled his name wrong. In both cases Dish treated what was on the paperwork as being written in stone, they are good at that, any dish dealer has to be careful with paperwork ask them.

Also I never said I, or the dealer was never paid it just took time to resolve it because Dish is so stubborn Oranges to oranges.

True. Very true. I'll grant you that. It is a major PITA to get incorrect name changed. As much I hate to do it, if I see an obvious discrepancy with the customer's name, I'll have said customer work with Dish on the phone while I'm installing the system.

I didn't mean to come across as harsh, it just seemed like you were bringing up unrelated Dish issues to this thread. :) (not to mention it wasn't probably smart on my part posting at 1:30 AM after being out the better part of the night....LOL)

(not to mention it wasn't probably smart on my part posting at 1:30 AM after being out the better part of the night....LOL)

That's why Starbucks created doubleshot :) Unless you don't want to stay up all night lol!

To be fair to Dish, they have been scammed countless times with fake accounts, so I can see why they have such a fit about paperwork.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)