Dish willing to play with new magic box?

Lue

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 12, 2013
great plains
Last edited:
Oh, and Apple's STB was even closer to being launched--2 years ago. Everybody has been trying to do this, and I suppose something may come some day, but they are all having the same problem Dish is having. Heck, even Apple stopped trying and started to try and partner with cable companies to try and get something started.

Dish is trying to build a service via the internet that would NOT include any sports offerings, the biggest cost to all MVPD's. Dish is having a hard time persuading the channels that they would lose their MVPD audience to the streaming service. The media companies don't get that there are young people who are never going to sign up with cable or sat and that such an internet service would appeal to them. These media companies didn't get Netflix, they don't get that people are skipping commericals without the the Hopper Auto-hop and can't wrap their head around the NEW world and the NEW models that must be created. Does anyone here remember Pan American Airlines and Branniff and Continental and Western Airlines and Eastern Airlines, the list goes on and on. Even Les Moonves is driving CBS to the grave and doesn't even know it.

The revolution is happening now! This Amazon service is waaayyy too sexy for companies not to want to jump into bed with. People are hopping commercials. Wow! While you are watching the Fred Ketchem fishing show Amazon will hit you with a banner ad (non skipable) for that double knit gabberdine fishing vest they know you are drooling over (viewing habits/past purchases). I know you have heard of product placement in shows/movies. Oh those shoes are sooooo cute! Click! (amazon already knows your size) on your doorstep in 2 days. Watch your teenagers, you may save money in programming cost but its going to smack impulse buyers in the wazoo. Companies whose products are being sold and Amazon itself will be more than happy to subsidize your programming. Have heard rumors that wal-mart is looking to partner/enter this arena. They already have their vu-doo service. You are going to see some strange bedfellows in the upcoming months. Then you have Google Fiber/Tv already in 3 major cities and moving forward. Intel out later this year with the first full on streaming TV service. I am sure we have not heard the last of partnering that Dish and others must do to survive. Keep watching and enjoy, change is here. I am getting hungry, wait, a pizza hut banner just popped up, Click. Please click on Product placement link below, see there. http://www.google.com/search?q=prod...APanoHIDg&sqi=2&ved=0CD0QsAQ&biw=1278&bih=663

Last edited:
The only problem is my area like a lot I other has unreliable slow broadband connections.
I have yet to see broadband replace satellite reliably.

You bring up one of the most important questions to Dishes survivability. Can Dish get there quick enough with Sprint and all the Spectrum they have? Or will a competitor get there first?

As far as T-Commerce is concerned, I welcome it. The other day while watching a cooking show (John Besh), we saw the chef using a celadon green platter that we liked. We'd have loved to been able to click on it and have a link emailed to us, or put in a cart, or even buy immediately. In this case, we actually emailed the show and asked about it. Turns out, we weren't the only ones interested in it. But it was no longer available.

But there have been other times we've had similar desires. It is my understanding that ATSC allows for this (reserves space for such data). This can even be a direct sales channel of significance, one day supplementing, reducing or even supplanting commercials as we know them today.

I say, bring it on!

Dish knows IP is the future of everything, including television. They cannot rely completely on satellite in the future for their business. Sprint is their best bet. If they do not get Sprint or Clearwire then it will be a bit harder for them to get ahead of the competition that is coming in.

I'm in agreement with Navychop, click-able links within a show may take over normal commercials. Imagine, as he did, watching a show, see something you like, click on it and boom ordered. Another twist to Amazon's one-click-buy

I'm in agreement with Navychop, click-able links within a show may take over normal commercials. Imagine, as he did, watching a show, see something you like, click on it and boom ordered. Another twist to Amazon's one-click-buy

Do you are anyone see enough profit to the companies involved that they could offer a handful of free channels and subsidize a whopper package of premium channels? There is going to be a HUGE, largest ever in history sales channel developed here.

Perhaps a service that offers a new selection of channels for free to entice people to their service to hopefully subscribe to the current paid channels. They may throw in some of the cheapest channels to entice more people.

Fees increasing?

Hey Dish, We need it quickly or somebody else will

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)