dishes at night

Status
Please reply by conversation.

danristheman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
85w
Have a good thing to bring up. What's the strangest things you have seen at night while working on your dishes at night. Several things have had happened to me while at working at night.

Animals: worst running away from a skunk, stray cats that are lonely needing attention, frogs on your dish.

People: kids that are out to late wondering what you are doing working on a dish. Why I am bringing this up please read below.

This happened tonight I was attaching an lnbf to my dish heard footsteps coming from the front of my apartment. My mom uses a wheelchair to get around so its not her. Some drunk woman comes out on my sidewalk in front of my apartment wondering what I am doing. I asked her what's she doing she stumbles away walking over to my neighbors house then goes over to the bank next door then walks over to the next court. If anyone thinks this weird please say something. Also never seen this woman before.

I live in the country, so if I see somebody in the yard at night their definitely up to no good and probably gonna get a tool chucked at them.:confused: I too have seen skunks as well as possums, mice, rabbits, foxes, cats and dogs. I have also heard several noises that I couldn't identify which have, on occasion, ended the dish adjustment session for the night.:eek:

Last edited:
Probably 15 years ago I ventured out in the dark to replace the LNB on my 10' dish after it was ruined by lightning. I waited until almost dark thinking there were bees under the cover. While standing on a step ladder working on the feed, I can see the traffic on the highway down the hill...suddenly I hear the largest crash and what sounds like a multi-vehicle pile up. Apparently the sound was that of a huge unsecured cast aluminum gas grille leaving the back of a pickup truck and shattering in a million pieces all over the highway with traffic attempting to avoid the objects in the road. I could hear the guy with the truck talking with his wife while picking up the debris, they were going to call the store where they just purchased the grille to complain because it blew off his truck. I guess he didn't think he had any responsibility for this event. Luckily, no one was injured due to his lack of common sense about securing a load.

Reactions: TheHamNerd
I live in the country. Once I had a skunk slowly wander by me while working on a 10 foot dish, probably about 20 feet away. Not at all pleasant, but thankfully I didn't cause it to spray as I ran in the opposite direction.

I've also had a few nights that were cut short, due to a pack of coyotes that sometimes wander up from the bush. The blood curdling howling of a pack of coyotes is unnerving, especially when it's a dark night without moonlight.

sgs

For some reason, every time I go out to work on something either a Ham antenna, or one of my FTA dishes I tend to draw an audience...I don't really like people watching me when I am trying to work. I don't like explaining what I am trying to do because they never understand, and frankly it is none of their business. :devilish Also, my neighbors have these two dogs that are always outside when I am trying to be low key....guess what they do...BARK all the darn time. They bark constantly, then anyone outside looks to see what they are barking at...now I have an audience. Geez.... I guess people have not seen a guy working on a dish before, or ham antennas. I get agitated quickly and I bought this house, and I am going to do what I please with-in reason. :confused:

Reactions: FTA4PA
That story about the drunk woman is certainly strange, at least given her situation she didn´t stumble into your dishes.
I only work at night on my dishes if it´s really necessary and that only on big dishes on a safe levell that I can use light from an adjacent room, the rest of my dishes are higher up and it´s no safe place really to work in the dark.

For some reason, every time I go out to work on something either a Ham antenna, or one of my FTA dishes I tend to draw an audience...I don't really like people watching me when I am trying to work. I don't like explaining what I am trying to do because they never understand, and frankly it is none of their business. :devilish Also, my neighbors have these two dogs that are always outside when I am trying to be low key....guess what they do...BARK all the darn time. They bark constantly, then anyone outside looks to see what they are barking at...now I have an audience. Geez.... I guess people have not seen a guy working on a dish before, or ham antennas. I get agitated quickly and I bought this house, and I am going to do what I please with-in reason. :confused:

Not at night, but Ham's story reminds me of neighbors I had in the house next door, who, thankfully, have long since moved. My house is up higher on a small hill than the one next door and I'd be working outside and then notice all four of them standing in a line staring at me, husband, wife and two kids. They'd do this for long periods of time, just stand there staring at me and doing nothing else. it creeped me out so bad that I'd put up a fence, which I have since taken down, because the people who own the house now are great neighbors. The creepy neighbors were neighbors from hell, fighting and very noisy all the time and just downright strange. I was so, so glad when they moved!

Reactions: TheHamNerd
It scared the hell out me plus standing in front of the dish amplifies the sound even worse.

I hear ya! Living in town tends to attract people who want to know (and sometimes tell you) your business. Quite happy with the difference after moving to the country. The horses in the neighbors field occasionally watch me work but they've never said anything yet.;)

@danristheman, Hey Dan! I haven't talked to you in a good while, I hope things are improving for you. Last we talked you said you took down all of your dishes because you were going to lose your apartment within a month because of them and no place to go? I'm pretty confused, but glad you got to set up your dishes again and adding LNB'S to it, sounds like things are looking up for you. :) I have a weekend of working on my dish systems too, with realignment mostly. Hope to talk to you soon. :)

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

What's the strangest things you have seen at night while working on your dishes at night

lets see. Since my dish farm was on the roof (when I owned my townhouse) I'd sit up there.
-2 guys trying to zap each other with a tazer
-neighbor guy making out with what seemed like a different woman in the entry way each week (he was next door neighbor so the walkway was shared)
-2 folks having sex in the walkway to their townhouse (wasnt a pretty site) ;)
-lady crashing THROUGH her garage door because she was drunk

my neighbors would probably say
-some crazy guy on his roof at midnight moving that old tv antenna (to try and get other stations)
-that crazy guy on his roof taking a pee off of said roof at midnight :D

We love to feed the animals! Once at early night when working on the dish I turned around and saw a deer nearby waiting for me to leave so he could get something to eat. A good thing about working on the dish under darkness in the summer is its cool! but a bad thing is that the blood suckers come out to feed on you.

I hear ya! Living in town tends to attract people who want to know (and sometimes tell you) your business. Quite happy with the difference after moving to the country. The horses in the neighbors field occasionally watch me work but they've never said anything yet.;)
Be sure to let us know if they ever do!
:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)