dishnetwork credit criteria too high

Paying off cards should make your score go up. If you had the accounts closed out after you paid them off, then that can make your score go down. This is especially true if they were cards that you'd had for a long time, or if closing them out caused you to be using up more than a certain percentage of all of your available lines of credit. The general rule of thumb used to be that you shouldn't be using more than 50% of your available credit, but since all this craziness with the economy has been going on I've seen some places starting to say 30% instead.

Hope I didn't close an account that is for sure. I've reduced the percentage of credit used as well. I'm sure my credit was hurt because of all the moving I've done because most of it has been out of state moves. These of course come along with all the credit checks for gas, electric, cable, DirecTV etc each move as they of course were with different companies each move.

Part of the credit score is debt to credit ratio. If you close accounts you reduce your available credit which makes your debt a higher percentage of your credit. It makes you look like you are maxed out (or closer to it). This reduces your credit score.

They also have an average of your balances in the mix. So, even if you pay off your cards every month you will still show a balance.

Paying bills on time, having a mix of different credit (credit cards, home loan, auto loan), low debt to credit ratio, etc. are the ways your score will go up.

ok so new on the forums for one.
two i'm a retailer of directv and dish network
dish network's credit criteria is too high.
they also will or will not qualify you based on whether you use a credit or debit card.
granted its easier to sell with the free installation and free dual dvr.
i had a lady today with a 650 credit score and it didn't let it go through because she had a bankruptcy 13 years ago!!! I though all that got erased after 10 years?
650 is an ok score. Do you have lates for untility bills, insurances, auto loans or any other scheduled payments? Other than the bankruptcy(BTW what type was it) have you ever defaulted on a loan or credit card? Have you had the same job for the last two years. Have you recently taken out a loan for a vehicle or have you applied for credit of any kind recently? If you answer yes to one or more of these questions you credit may be adversely affected resulting in denial of approval from Dish.
other important criteria......How long have you lived in your current home? Do you own or rent?..Those items are used to rate creditworthiness as well

Last edited:
This is not necessarily true. The will give you a low score if you do not have credit, or if it is more than a couple of years old. I have not used credit cards in more than 15 years, I use debit card or pay cash. I did take out a four year car loan in 2000, paid it off in three years (2003), last year I used my free credit report to see what it said and was given a rating of 620 and told it was because of no recent credit history (my car loan was considered to old to count) so if you try to do things the right way and not owe anyone, then you get dinged also:confused:
Believe it or not creditors look at your outstanding unsecured credit lines. The higher your lines the better your score. For example when we refied opur mortgage the officer told us NOT to close Credit card accounts after we paid the balances down to zero. She said get rid the high interest accounts once they reach zero but leave the Visa/MC accounts open. To creditors this shows you can be trusted to pay your debts on time.

As I posted earlier in this topic. I had a bankruptcy just last year and was approved just 2 weeks ago and got everything FREE. I assure you my credit score is probaly as low as u can get right now lol.....

Ya I love dish; But dish is very strict with Credit history more then DirecTV. So I had to find a family member to open the account for me..Is like almost 2 years now no problem longest u pay the monthly payments. But I know what u mean is kinda sux they doing that but o well. No choice I guess. they doing that for years!

I work for the largest retailer for Dish Network.

I think you guys are missing the point. Just a few months back you could get a customer approved with a 580 credit score or higher and it didn't matter if it was a credit card or a debit card. Now if the customers credit is between 580 and 700 they HAVE to enter a credit card. Yes dish can tell the difference between the two. Dish wants a credit card so they can charge it if the customers breaks the contact and doesn't return the equipment. They mess with the requirements meaning one day it's easy to get people approved other days I get "we are unable to approve the customer application for the promotion enter a credit card" on most of my customers. 9 times out of 10 they don't have a credit and I have to let the go since they do not want to pay a deposit. I would say I have lost on average 30 sales a month at $30 a sell.

We have told Dish about this, but they keep telling us that they have looked at the credit file of these customers and all of them have credit card, but don't want to give it up. They said we need to try harder to get a credit card from them. GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F-ING HEADS DISH THESE PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE A CREDIT CARD. Just because someones credit files says they have one does not mean they still have the card. Regardless they will not give it up and they are losing customers. I have several credit cards on my file that I don't use anymore as do others I know.

Anyway we are losing lots of sales over this and Dish lost 10,000 subscribers last month. If dish CEO's don't get their act together they are going to run that company in the ground with this BS. I mean these people are calling directv and getting approved so they are losing customers. Plus with them losing their bundle contract with at&t they are going to lose even more.

Oh and when they charge the customers cards for breaking the contract most of the time the customer deputes it and gets the charges taken off anyway. I know Dish is trying to reduce churn, but they are going the wrong way about it.

I think you guys are missing the point. Just a few months back you could get a customer approved with a 580 credit score or higher and it didn't matter if it was a credit card or a debit card. Now if the customers credit is between 580 and 700 they HAVE to enter a credit card. Yes dish can tell the difference between the two. Dish wants a credit card so they can charge it if the customers breaks the contact and doesn't return the equipment. They mess with the requirements meaning one day it's easy to get people approved other days I get "we are unable to approve the customer application for the promotion enter a credit card" on most of my customers. 9 times out of 10 they don't have a credit and I have to let the go since they do not want to pay a deposit. I would say I have lost on average 30 sales a month at $30 a sell.

We have told Dish about this, but they keep telling us that they have looked at the credit file of these customers and all of them have credit card, but don't want to give it up. They said we need to try harder to get a credit card from them. GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F-ING HEADS DISH THESE PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE A CREDIT CARD. Just because someones credit files says they have one does not mean they still have the card. Regardless they will not give it up and they are losing customers. I have several credit cards on my file that I don't use anymore as do others I know.

Anyway we are losing lots of sales over this and Dish lost 10,000 subscribers last month. If dish CEO's don't get their act together they are going to run that company in the ground with this BS. I mean these people are calling directv and getting approved so they are losing customers. Plus with them losing their bundle contract with at&t they are going to lose even more.

Oh and when they charge the customers cards for breaking the contract most of the time the customer deputes it and gets the charges taken off anyway. I know Dish is trying to reduce churn, but they are going the wrong way about it.

"They said we need to try harder to get a credit card from the(customer)"
I agree this is ridiculous. It is as though you're being told "The customer has no choice. Sell it".

I am no big fan of Dish either and don't go around tooting their horn. BTW that was a 10k net sub loss in the last quarter.
D*'s standards are just as high and D* has nothing similar to Dish Now. AT least that I know of.
Now, I do agree there must be some sort of protection for Dish when customers default or cancel early. And one cannot just simply dispute a charge on their credit card just because they do not want to pay. Those charges are legitmate. The customer agreed to them when thery signed the 24 month agreement. Also the equipment does not belong to the customer. Based on these issues Dish must have high credit standards.
If we want to insist the current system is faulty then we can simply go back to cash and carry. I'd make a lot more money doing installs because the aspect of free free free will go away with it. But that's isn;'t realistic. SO we're back to the system we have now
Fact of the matter is credit standards for many things have beeen lowered to unrealistic levels. And we now see the result. I realize that there are areas of the country where folks don't have credit cards have poor credit histories due to a poor local economy but this is a big picture issue.
I think standards should be raised and kept at these high levels to prevent the situation we're in now from ever happening again

You should work for a retailer who sells both. I do & our directv business is way up.
I personally don't care which one I sell or install as long as I'm working. They both pay the same for me. Your sale commission is about $70.00 too low, that is only $5.00 higher than what our FFA's pay.
Directv is definitely playing with a good hand right now. They have good commercials, nice promotional offer, and in our dma all mpeg 4 equipment. If dish keeps going the way they're going, I'll be 100% pro directv before to long.

Fact of the matter is credit standards for many things have beeen lowered to unrealistic levels. And we now see the result. I realize that there are areas of the country where folks don't have credit cards have poor credit histories due to a poor local economy but this is a big picture issue.
I think standards should be raised and kept at these high levels to prevent the situation we're in now from ever happening again

I think the best thing would be to go back to the days where money was lent by banks, and by people who knew you, and knew whether or not you were a bad risk. No more credit scores determining whether or not you could walk out of a store with a big screen TV bought on the assumption of a credit score by a computer. The dissolution of today's credit industry would force people to start living within their paychecks, not allowing bailouts of companies who can't keep up with their books and their own overspending, and might let us start putting real value on things instead of market value.

My 2cents, anyways.

I think the best thing would be to go back to the days where money was lent by banks, and by people who knew you, and knew whether or not you were a bad risk. No more credit scores determining whether or not you could walk out of a store with a big screen TV bought on the assumption of a credit score by a computer. The dissolution of today's credit industry would force people to start living within their paychecks, not allowing bailouts of companies who can't keep up with their books and their own overspending, and might let us start putting real value on things instead of market value.

My 2cents, anyways.
In a perfect world yes indeed. But we now live in a gimme gimme soicety run byu instant gratification and entitlement.
SUppose for a moment the message was dlivered by credit issuers that as of Jan 1 2009 lending as we know it will cease. All credit cards cancelled. All future loans are to be secured with collateral...
Of course this is unrealistic.. But this is the way credit was dispensed back in the day. Yes, the general store in the little town would extend credit to the townspeople,. But generally banks loaned money to those with collateral. There were no credit cards.
Now, I believe credit standards should be raised dramatically. Only those who have no lates, no charge -offs to bad debt, stable work histories and roots in their community should be expended unsecurd credit.
The ability to borrow money is NOT an entitlement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)