DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 4/11/2008 6:37am - No new HD

There used to be, I think he was saying they should mirror on 148
Well yes, that would be great (I used to get some of my locals from 148), but I think Dish has 148 committed to other services, such as foreign language channels, etc, and I think they want a one Dish solution with 110,119, and 129 on a Dish 1000, so I think we just have to wait until Ciel2 is launched, later this year, hopefully.

Any new launches to replace the dying Satellite at 129?? It is getting so bad now that my signale strength at transponder 12 129 goes from 70 all the way down to 5

Any new launches to replace the dying Satellite at 129?? It is getting so bad now that my signale strength at transponder 12 129 goes from 70 all the way down to 5

At least you're getting up to 70. I don't get anything higher than 56 on any tp on 129 and tp 11 (the one I used to peak the 26" dish on) still goes down to between 5-8 too often for my liking...

At least you're getting up to 70. I don't get anything higher than 56 on any tp on 129 and tp 11 (the one I used to peak the 26" dish on) still goes down to between 5-8 too often for my liking...

Different signal strength scales. "70" is the old scale "56" is the new scale.

For some reason, a 30-inch dish works a lot better on 129 than a 24-inch dish. With my 30-inch dish, I never see any transponder on 129 dipping below normal levels.

We will get Sci-Fi six months after D got it. What was the date D added Sci-Fi?

This is only my opinion, I have no inside information just betting D had some exclusive deal at the time.

This is only my opinion, I have no inside information just betting D had some exclusive deal at the time.

It was around the first week of October last year, if my memory serves me right. So your 6 months are just about up.

E* isn't going to have squat! Sorry! AMC 14 being declaired "Dead" Is a bigger hit then some people want to admit.! Get ready for your 5-7 HD channels between now and 3 months after a sucessful E*11 launch.

Way too many providers have it now for it to be a Direct exclusive.

Now. If you are talking satellite exclusive. You may have a point.

A very doubtful point though.:p

Way too many providers have it now for it to be a Direct exclusive.

Now. If you are talking satellite exclusive. You may have a point.

A very doubtful point though.:p

I was referring to satellite exclusive because in D's world, E is their only competitor. It's the other dish owners D wants. I'm already two months past the deadline i gave myself to jump ship but I just like my 622's too much and when I look at my friends D receiver. It just sucks. Nothing personal D subs it just my personal feeling.

Get serious people. I've read literally hundreds of posts on why Dish hasn't added HD nationals recently. There are only three classes of reasons given ...

* Legal - e.g. contracts, pricing, exclusives, etc.
* Technical - e.g. satellite transponder space, up-link facilities, manpower for up-links, etc.
* Strategic - e.g. when Dish will get the most value from adding HD nationals, etc.

The first two classes of "reasons" (AKA excuses) are trotted out regularly by the Dish Faithful. But IMHO they are getting a little thread bare by now. Exactly how can the release of ALL of the HD nationals listed by Dish be held up by Legal and/or Technical issues? Yes I mean every single HD National!

From where I'm sitting the delay on releasing HD nationals looks to be almost entirely Strategic. BTW if I'm right, Dish will launch a whole slew of HD nationals on the very same day with a huge amount of fan fair --- SOON :rolleyes:

Talon Dancer

Ciel-2 is supposed to take it's place, if all goes according to plan, when it's launched towards the end of this year!

No chance Ciel is launched this year. NONE. Uses the same vehicle and second stage as AMC 14 from the same launch site.

There will be at least a 6 month investigation before they launch another one of those.

Get serious people. I've read literally hundreds of posts on why Dish hasn't added HD nationals recently. There are only three classes of reasons given ...

* Legal - e.g. contracts, pricing, exclusives, etc.
* Technical - e.g. satellite transponder space, up-link facilities, manpower for up-links, etc.
* Strategic - e.g. when Dish will get the most value from adding HD nationals, etc.

The first two classes of "reasons" (AKA excuses) are trotted out regularly by the Dish Faithful. But IMHO they are getting a little thread bare by now. Exactly how can the release of ALL of the HD nationals listed by Dish be held up by Legal and/or Technical issues? Yes I mean every single HD National!

From where I'm sitting the delay on releasing HD nationals looks to be almost entirely Strategic. BTW if I'm right, Dish will launch a whole slew of HD nationals on the very same day with a huge amount of fan fair --- SOON :rolleyes:

Talon Dancer

The first 2 reasons are the ones I think that are holding it up. I believe the content providers have bundled together their channels as an all or nothing contract. Dish has very little space. They have chosen to devote space to Locals HD. It does appear they are working on new space (aka new satellite positions), but with the apparent loss of AMC-14, soon could be a while. I think Dish overbooked themselves. They were relying on 4 TPs gained on 61.5 by AMC-14. They made commitments on carrying bundles of HD channels that they cannot deliver on now. It is either find new space (there are a few options all cost Dish $$), or try to renegotiate some with providers (i.e. probably cost more money in future promising future capacity gains devoted to the providers and paying more up front for the "option").

DIRECTV has the satellites in space. Remember they sang the "soon song" for 2 years saying 100 then 150 national HD channels when Dish was filling their satellites with new HD. DIRECTV is now the one with the space and can add all the channels content providers demand. At least they gave a date/milestones when they said as soon as these satellites get up we will have it.

It is a space grab going on now. Content providers realize that cable and satellite have limited space. So, they are demanding carriage of channels that have little or no HD content now so they will be in place in the future.

Perhaps Dish will come up with more capacity "soon" or they will not. I would feel a lot more confident if AMC-14 was headed to orbit. Dish just suffered a 12.5% reduction in planned capacity on 61.5. Not only that, but E3 has been losing TPs through the years. E3 already has lost TPs and the backup TPs on 4 of the 32 TPs it used to be able to transmit on. There is nothing to say that it may not lose more TPs over the years that it will now take to build and launch a new satellite.

Dish has a couple of items that appear to be coming, space on 72.5 and perhaps 77. Who knows if they will happen. Who knows if 129's replacement will make it to orbit, who knows if E11 will make it to orbit?

It is a choice you have to make. Go with DIRECTV for a 2 year commit now and do not look back, go to cable if your local provider is giving you what you want, or stay with Dish and hope things improve. You obviously have a reason you are sticking with Dish, I have one too (they carry my locals which DIRECTV does not, and have uplinked the HD versions too). I am considering alternatives, but I will wait a few more months since we are almost into rerun season.

I have no inside information. Scott's sources obviously have had problems lately (i.e. insiders at Dish seem as baffled as we are). I hope that your #3 is right and we wake up next week with a ton of new HD in a big splash. But, right now the splash appears limited to at most 9 channels.

It comes down to adding subs, that is the only reason Dish considers anything. Right now they consider LiL HD the biggest builder of subs. More than any particular HD channel they could add on a national level. They know they will lose subs, but they obviously feel that they will gain more subs with locals. They know exactly how many subs they will gain with locals. They know because they have added markets through the years and they see what adding a market does to subscription rates in that area. How many subs they lose by not carrying a channel is probably harder to quantify since they pretty much carry everything up until now (except for the famous YES). Even with YES they figured they came out ahead.

No chance Ciel is launched this year. NONE. Uses the same vehicle and second stage as AMC 14 from the same launch site.

There will be at least a 6 month investigation before they launch another one of those.

I think the launch chance has gone down, but not 0%. Remember it is a business world, and companies can trade launch slots. Someone might sell their place in line for $$.

Aren't you the guy that guaranteed that E* would lose half of its stock value the Monday after the AMC 14 launch. Forgive me if we are a bit skeptical. :rolleyes: