DishONLINE

I don't see how this could work on receivers without dvrs. You would have to download and watch it at the same time and I don't see this as a possibility. But if they allow external hard drives I still don't see how this would work with non hard drive receivers.

For a 211, plug in external storage via USB. Plug in ethernet. Record from DishOnline to external storage.

From what I know is that is the way it will work. It will download the content before you can play it.

As far as I know at launch there will be no streaming.

Sort of like the way the AT&T Homezone works.

When the video is download (or enough of it is downloaded) you will get an alert on the screen that your video is now ready for viewing.

IF that is possible then how does the dvr features work on a receiver that isn't a dvr. How can you get the receiver to work like one unless you are saying that it will work with the external hard drive plugged into the usb port.

Having a Hard Drive in the receiver does not have anything to do with it. All it needs is a USB port which the 211 and 411 both have. Only difference is the 411 does not have the Ethernet port.

Okay, now the real question is how do you get the usb cable to the receiver located in the other room . Are we going to use another Tivo like device like their mobile wireless phone line/or usb connection? OF course this will cost more money and I am sure another FEE.

One of the things I heard that the external storage was to be able to turn non DVR's into DVR's without having to replace the receiver.

This could be the first step twards this.

Okay, now the real question is how do you get the usb cable to the receiver located in the other room . Are we going to use another Tivo like device like their mobile wireless phone line/or usb connection? OF course this will cost more money and I am sure another FEE.
I think you mean ethernet not USB.

If you did you could use a product like the SlingLink to bring the ethernet connection into an unwired room in your house.

http://us.slingmedia.com/page/slinglink.html

This is definitely interesting. I hope that they are able to do more with this than just PPV movies and shows.

All you half to do is just run your USB cable from the 211 to the hard drive then in the record options just choose USB or whatever they want to call it. This is not that hard to do and Slink has a wireless option so that way you don't have to run Cat6 cable in that room.

To get the ethernet to the receiver, it seems to me that the easiest way would be to just get a 80211G wireless game adapter and just connect through it.

I'm going to do the wired ethernet route though; I have a switch about 15 feet away from the tv, all I need to do is run some cat-6 under the floor.

Yeah thats what I would do just use the wireless. Save you from running cable unless you have other hardware that requires a connection in the room that cant use wireless.

Honestly I thought you guys were going to yell at me and redirect me to some other string where everybody's pissing and moaning about yet another promised feature that has yet to come to pass...
Trust me, you don't know what you've started.... Take a look at the Dish/Weather Channel thread for people's "pissing and moaning" because of a feature that was pre-announced way too soon.

That said, this is an exciting feature and I'm glad to see fairly definite plans to use the ethernet port. I'll be running CAT5 to my 622 soon !

One of the things I heard that the external storage was to be able to turn non DVR's into DVR's without having to replace the receiver.

I think you mean ethernet not USB.
Making non-DVRs into DVRs by using the USB port (for external HDDs, since USB is most common) makes more sense than using ethernet and a Slingbox.

Last edited:
Glad to see Dish Network is finally going online with their receivers. Both of my Vip-622's are already connected to my home network. This broadband upgrade will bring a much faster two way connection between Dish Network and our receivers.

All you half to do is just run your USB cable from the 211 to the hard drive then in the record options just choose USB or whatever they want to call it. This is not that hard to do and Slink has a wireless option so that way you don't have to run Cat6 cable in that room.

It's "have" not half.

If the ethernet port is enabled and we are able to download movies, will we also be able to control the DVR from a different location via internet. I'm in Chicago right now and I would like to connect to my dvr in St. Louis to record the Charlie Chat. I sure hope this will be the case.

Is the 522 really the same as a 625??

DishHD Rebate Doubled?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)