Dish's en banc request APPROVED!

Patents generally run 20 years from the date the application is submitted. Unless tivo cannot even make the maintenance fees due at certain intervals I don't think many of them are expiring soon.
I believe that the patent expires in 2016 or 2017.

Edit - (After a search) The '389 patent expires 7/30/2018

Last edited:
I don't really see the reasoning for Dish to buy TiVo. Dish has spent a lot of time trying to prove the Patent is crap (or at least able to be written around). The VIP's could still end up in the clear. Without the Patents TiVo may not be worth any more then the VHS player and CRT sitting in my basement. It would be a waste of money.

Now if TiVo wants to offer Charlie a great deal on a license agreement, that could still make sense.

I don't really see the reasoning for Dish to buy TiVo. Dish has spent a lot of time trying to prove the Patent is crap (or at least able to be written around). The VIP's could still end up in the clear. Without the Patents TiVo may not be worth any more then the VHS player and CRT sitting in my basement. It would be a waste of money.

Now if TiVo wants to offer Charlie a great deal on a license agreement, that could still make sense.
Don't forget about TIVO's new patent on Season Pass.
TiVo granted patent on recording Season Pass subscriptions by priority -- Engadget

I agree completely. That's why I think the stamp of "TiVO powered or With TivO technology" on the STB's and the loss of lawsuits would be the biggest gains out of the whole deal.

Another silly (obvious) patent which Dish may not even violate. Even your link says:

(One bit that jumps out: the priority list has to contain both "a viewer's explicit preferred program selections for recording" and "inferred preferred program selections for recording," so DVRs that don't auto-record like TiVos could potentially be excluded.)

What would be the benefit of buying Tivo? I don't know the set of numbers that would wind up on the table. Would it be cheaper to buy them (especially now as their stock is in fire sale mode) than to pay royalties? Whatever, I'm sure Charlie has some more cards up his sleeve.

Another silly (obvious) patent which Dish may not even violate. Even your link says:
I know that its probably a silly patent but the PTO just granted the patent. TIVO will undoubtedly test it's validity on someone. Now who does TIVO hate the most?

But if your revenue is shrinking, source of income is dwindling (because of loss os subs), then isn't suffocation a form of death?

It certainly isn't correct to characterize it as "losing money hand over fist". TiVo has several other irons in the fire too such as Virgin cable in England.

TiVo and Virgin Media Partner in the UK

logo-virginmedia.png
TiVo Inc. and Virgin Media Inc., the UK's leading entertainment and communications company, have entered into a strategic partnership under which TiVo will develop Virgin Media’s next generation TV platform. Under the mutually exclusive agreement, TiVo will develop a converged television and broadband interactive interface to power Virgin Media’s next generation, high definition set top boxes.

Expiration dates for the TIVO patents range from December 2015 to February 2020.

Scott- I know you began to get weak knees yesterday about Dish but you fell victim to all the totally false information that this suit references the VIP series which it does not. These TIVO fanboys are trying their best to to destroy Dish. I wonder if they are losers with TIVO stock or, are they just crazy and do this for personal hate reasons? Second, the case was ruled with a dissenting judge who made some compelling points, so while I never fully trust the courts to do justice all the time, I had to put what little faith I had that when you get more legal minds in authority, you will get better justice. Therefore the en banc would be approved. Now we wait to see the fate of those older DVRs. Neither you nor I are going to become victims on this because we have VIP's but my neighbor has one of the listed DVR's he has said he got a notice from Dish to swap out but hasn't responded. Dish knows this suit if it goes bad will affect just those older DVR's. Now finally, I have to observe the actions of the insiders in charge at TIVO and what I see is all of them are or rather have already cashed out. They don't believe they have a case! Now many who bought stock high will be losers unless the institutions begin a buy-up, unlikely unless they can convince their clients TIVO is a good investment those who remain better get out fast like the owners have done already.

The earlier observation that Dish stock hasn't really budged during all this is not exactly accurate. It has moved a little but to a much lesser degree because the issue will not affect Dishes bottom line significantly UNLESS, they are forced to lose a hugh number of customers. That will only happen if the VIP series is ordered shut down, leaving Dish with NO DVRs to supply their subscribers. Nobody except those who likely have ulterior motives posting on this forum are suggesting this to be the case or you'd see the Dish and SATS stock plummet like TIVO. The idea that the suit is open ended on the shutdown order is just silly.

The only thing that I look forward to is that Dish will now go in and begin their offer. They should not let this opportunity go. They now can bargain at a 40% discount. Will this affect the Dish stock? Not by much, I suspect as the world fears and and other factors seem to affect these stocks far more than company fundamentals.

Disclosure- I own Dish stock.

Twelve sitting judges on the court and maybe a few more on senior status that choose to participate. Add in two armies of lawyers and a bunch of law professors and it's going to be like Woodstock. All that is missing is the T shirts.

Against all odds (Bernstein Research analyst Craig Moffett puts them at around 2%), DISH Network and EchoStar have won their request for an en banc review of their appeal in the TiVo case.
it's funny how fast that 2 percent became 100 percent. That Moffett guy really stuck his neck out... hehe

I imagine we'll be seeing more spin from him soon.

We sold shirts before and lost our shirts on them... (Mainly because my wife screwed up the shipping and thought the price to mail them was a nice low price... but then when it came time to mail then the price to mail was almost as much as we charged for the shirts.) :D

I would like to order some more though, so perhaps we can do it again (and I will check her shipping costs next time before we set a price) :D :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)