Dish's response to DirecTV's Free HD claim

Don't diminish Cable's part in this. Time Warner has had "no cost" HD for some time and around "check day" or moving day there were as many as 5 of their trucks in the neighborhood for their "gaurenteed on time" service.

JohnH,

Yes, but I know Time Warner's Free HD is not completely true either. Time Warner has a number of HD channels in a special HD tier that requires a separate fee.

Secondly Time Warner is missing a number of HD Channels namely HDnet, and HDnet Movies. They pulled Mark Cubans' HDnet channels last year, nationwide.

John

JohnH,

Yes, but I know Time Warner's Free HD is not completely true either. Time Warner has a number of HD channels in a special HD tier that requires a separate fee.

Secondly Time Warner is missing a number of HD Channels namely HDnet, and HDnet Movies. They pulled Mark Cubans' HDnet channels last year, nationwide.

John
That sucks time warner is missing girls gone wild on HDnet

Yeah that's what I mean. Almost 95% of current Dish customers get the new free HD (even if our bills aren't getting cheaper) where looks like Direct is screwing over current customers so they will be paying $10.00 more then any new customers Direct picks up. That was my point to it all.
Not necessarily true. ;)

The only saving grace for cable is faster internet.

And better locals in most areas. Cable offers HD locals, HD PBS and all the sub channels while Dish offers four fuzzy vision locals and PBS in fuzzy vision. DirecTV, at the moment, offers no locals at all in many areas.

I use the term "fuzzy vision" because, at least in my area the so called "SD" locals look worse than other SD channels.

I think the problem is that Sat TV isn't exactly cheap and they can only go so low. The equipment is expensive.

The retail cost of the equipment may be high, but Dish doesn't buy it retail. Their cost for acquiring that equipment is likely much less than we would realize. Still, it isn't free and they are entitled to make a profit off it.

Clearly D* is on the defensive and reacting to the latest E* marketing campaigns and initiatives.

Based on quarterly sub adds for E* the last few quarters it has D* really looking in their rear view mirror a lot.

Let's hope E* keeps up the pressure and D* keeps matching what E* does.

The competition can only be good for sat subs from both companies in the end.
You guys are funny. As if this is some boxing match with a winner at the end. these two have millions of subscibers. it all makes no difference except for the fanboys.

We all know that both D*, E* and the cable companies use "Puffery" in their adds, but what gets me is Insight Cable advertises Free HD, but the only way you can get it is to rent their DVR for $17.00/month (IIRC on the price). They have no other way for subscribers to receive this Free HD.

Ghpr13:)

We all know that both D*, E* and the cable companies use "Puffery" in their adds, but what gets me is Insight Cable advertises Free HD, but the only way you can get it is to rent their DVR for $17.00/month (IIRC on the price). They have no other way for subscribers to receive this Free HD.

Well you can get HD via cable card (tivo or built in to TV) but they charge a monthly free for the card. Or your TV with a QAM tuner can probably tune some of the channels, but of course it is a half baked solution with odd channel numbers.

In all providers cases it really is that they no longer have an SD service, you get HD if you have the equipment now.

Well you can get HD via cable card (tivo or built in to TV) but they charge a monthly free for the card. Or your TV with a QAM tuner can probably tune some of the channels, but of course it is a half baked solution with odd channel numbers.

In all providers cases it really is that they no longer have an SD service, you get HD if you have the equipment now.

Not the case with Insight. I tried connecting my cable directly to my Samsung LCD, no dice...you have to use Insight's DVR (or a TiVo w/cable card, which then you not only pay the $5.00/month cable card fee, but also the TiVo subscription fee, which is about $13.00/month)...but my point is they don't offer just a simple HD receiver for low cost solution. Not everyone wants or can afford a DVR just to get Free HD.

You have to admire the balls on D after they just got their butts summarily handed to them with a big red bow and a kiss...

Those are some VERY weak talking points. Right up there with "your tie is ugly!".

No joke, that press release reads like a five year-old screaming "unh-uh!"

The fact remains that most of Dish's current customers are eligible for the free HD for life and DTV's weak promotion only applies to new customers, leaving their current customers base out in the cold.

Was it talking about HD receivers? From what I understand, installation and equipment is included when someone signs up for Dish Network. Even with multiple TVs.

The fact remains that most of Dish's current customers are eligible for the free HD for life and DTV's weak promotion only applies to new customers, leaving their current customers base out in the cold.

Yup. Unless current customers call and beg with Directv. Then you may get free HD for 24 months. Not for life!

Dish Network gave me free HD for life automatically as an existing sub. No need to call and beg.

I didnt have to call and beg. D* would have easily given it to me but I need to be with them directly and not through the Telco which is fine

Tuesday will be the day (Telco moving my acct back top D*) :)

Oh and do you seriously think in two years folks will still be paying separately for HD? ;)

I am loving the new Dish pricing. I pay $39/month for a 722Vip dvr and America's top 120. Free HD.

It's the least I have ever paid for Dish, and I am getting more than ever before. Thanks Dish!

No DVR fee, no telephone has to be connected, just straight and simple ( and cheap ) pricing.

My main issue with DISH's FreeHD comparison PDF is the receiver combination is skewed for households with 50% SD televisions and non-DVR receivers. A single 722K does not compare to two HR-24's satellite tuner wise. For example in my household I have three HDTV's, so my DISH Network rental costs are:

922 (included with base plan) = $0.00
2 x 612's ($10/each) = $20.00
DVR Service Fee = $10.00
Total DISH Receiver Lease = $30/month:mad:

Under DIRECTV my lease fees would be:
HR-24 (included with base plan) = $0.00
2 x HR-24's ($5.00/each) = $10.00
DVR Service Fee = $7.00
Whole-Home DVR Service = $3.00
Total DIRECTV Receiver Lease = $20/month:)

and the comparison gets worse as you add HD DRV's. I was originally going to lease a 722K instead of one of the 612's, but at the $17/month lease fee I couldn't justify a $7/month additional cost just to add an additional SD output with no additional satellite tuners provided. In my opinion E* is going to kill the widespread adoption (multiple units in a single household) of 922's and 722's with their outrageous $17/month receiver lease fee. This is in stark contract to DIRECTV's lease fee for their best and brightest HD DVR, the HR-24, which is only $5/month.

Randy

For just one TV this is true,but if you want to watch HD in more than one room,or DVR in more than one room these feature's costs can be additional costs.Which is something any subscriber to DirecTV or Dish should consider.:)
But Dish does not even offer MRV (I am not talking about Duo receivers. Duo receivers are not true MRV).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts