Disney Networks Dispute Recitifed

Part of the hassle with losing ESPN is that the NHL allowed ESPN to be the exclusive carrier of a bunch of NHL games. So even having a subscription to ESPN plus, we’re going to miss out. was never an issue with NHL.TV. Here in Hawaii and also Alaska, it seems the NHL Center Ice package with DISH is still only in SD.
I haven't seen this year's schedule yet, but unless you're talking about the entire NHL I'd hardly call last year's arrangement a bunch. For any single team, it was only a handful. And ESPN+ is a total joke, as your local team is always blacked out even if you can't get the channel it's carried on.

Reactions: HipKat
Well what ALL the providers need to do is band together to stand up to the content owners. (I suggested this on AVSforum once and someone said "that would be collusion." Yes, it would. But what the content owners are doing now is also collusion against the public, who are the people whom laws are supposed to be protecting.)
You understand "collusion" is a legal definition, right? Unless the content owners are meeting among themselves and saying "let's all charge the same amount", it's not "collusion".

Is it not a business' responsibility to make as much money for itself as it can (legally)? Whether we like it or not, there's nothing illegal about the content owners charging whatever they want. Then it's up to the MVPDs to decide if that amount is "worth" it. If the answer is "no", then they negotiate or not and do without.

I haven't tried YTTV, but there are very few times I've seen anything on Dish that doesn't look over-compressed. There are some channels that look better than others, but there are a lot of channels that might as well be widescreen SD. On streaming channels, it's the opposite. There are very few things that don't seem to be full fidelity.
After watching solely 4K, up-converted 4K and even 1080 digital streaming for the last 2+ years through my Nvidia Sheild Pro and now my Sony TV, I can see those differences in every Hopper I install.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Until Time Warner gave in.... And people weren't paying for it during those three years

We weren’t paying for it because HBO was a separate add-on. If it had been included in a core package, we would have still been paying for it.

Apparently I'm the only one who doesn't miss them.
Nah, I ditched ESPN 3-4 years ago and have not had a single regret so you're not alone. For a company that relys on sports it spends way too much time on yellow journalism, like Between The Lines for instance.

Has anyone noticed that some folks complaining about the disputes are the same folks who complain about the rate hikes? If Dish has a dispute and tries to save you money you complain as if you would be perfectly happy paying an additional $10 or $15 a month just to avoid them (I've seen people actually post that) but when the dust settles and the annual rate hike comes along you jump right in and complain some more. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

What I find mystifying is the people I have seen post on here about getting everything via streaming and "only" paying $129 (or more). Yet when paying that for Dish it's "exorbitant". Huh? I get everything I want from Dish for $70. The only streaming I have is Prime Video (free with Prime) with two add-ons for another $15, grand total $85. It's amazing to me that people who complain about channel stuffing on cable or satellite (whee, 150 channels, 200 channels!) are willing to climb right back into it with streaming services without blinking an eye and even at that complain about some obscure channel that's missing. :rolleyes:

8 million is a far cry from 17 though. Anyone know the total number of cable subs nationwide these days for TV? It used to be about 50 million.
Oh, I think it's been way above 50 million for a long time. Cable TV penetration has been in decline for about a decade now and it's down to only about 50% of households per MoffanNathanson. The US has about 128 million households now, so that would put the number of subs at about 64 million.

Meanwhile, a different research firm, Leichtman, puts the figure at about 72 million total cable subs in the US. You can see their breakdown here:

If this goes on for a couple weeks, I am asking Dish for a discount.

I gave them a day. I'm asking for a discount now. Why should I be paying for channels I am no longer getting? And if their discount is $5 I will certainly keep that in mind the next time I compare providers.

Nah, I ditched ESPN 3-4 years ago and have not had a single regret so you're not alone. For a company that relys on sports it spends way too much time on yellow journalism, like Between The Lines for instance.

Has anyone noticed that some folks complaining about the disputes are the same folks who complain about the rate hikes? If Dish has a dispute and tries to save you money you complain as if you would be perfectly happy paying an additional $10 or $15 a month just to avoid them (I've seen people actually post that) but when the dust settles and the annual rate hike comes along you jump right in and complain some more. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

What I find mystifying is the people I have seen post on here about getting everything via streaming and "only" paying $129 (or more). Yet when paying that for Dish it's "exorbitant". Huh? I get everything I want from Dish for $70. The only streaming I have is Prime Video (free with Prime) with two add-ons for another $15, grand total $85. It's amazing to me that people who complain about channel stuffing on cable or satellite (whee, 150 channels, 200 channels!) are willing to climb right back into it with streaming services without blinking an eye and even at that complain about some obscure channel that's missing. :rolleyes:

It’s all about choice. Dish has made the choice to eliminate one of the only things I watch on TV. College football and Monday night football. I pay $130 a month with a huge chunk of it wrapped up in equipment and fees.

So I can go to YouTube TV and get my football back and it will be in 1080p and will have more (not a ton more) 4K programming available. And since I’m not tied up with the equipment, I can fluidly move around as my needs or offerings change.

Staying with Dish is a one way commitment. I’m forced to accept what they are offering and it’s a hassle to end the relationship with commitments and/or equipment. And they get away with it because “Programming subject to change.” That should mean you might lose Gameshow Network. Not 17% of your programming.”

If Dish came to me and asked are you willing to pay $10-15 a month for ESPN separately? I’d say yes. And when football season is over, I could remove the package. But according to what Dish is trying to offer me when I call in to suspend my account, the ESPN/Disney package is only worth $5 a month…

I gave them a day. I'm asking for a discount now. Why should I be paying for channels I am no longer getting? And if their discount is $5 I will certainly keep that in mind the next time I compare providers.

It will only be $5. I put my account on pause and subscribed to YouTube TV. If this draws out for weeks or months, I’ll just pay the ETF and cancel. If it’s short lived, I’ll ride out my contract and cancel when it’s up.

It’s all about choice. Dish has made the choice to eliminate one of the only things I watch on TV. College football and Monday night football. I pay $130 a month with a huge chunk of it wrapped up in equipment and fees.

So I can go to YouTube TV and get my football back and it will be in 1080p and will have more (not a ton more) 4K programming available. And since I’m not tied up with the equipment, I can fluidly move around as my needs or offerings change.

Staying with Dish is a one way commitment. I’m forced to accept what they are offering and it’s a hassle to end the relationship with commitments and/or equipment.

If Dish came to me and asked are you willing to pay $10-15 a month for ESPN separately? I’d say yes. And when football season is over, I could remove the package. But according to what Dish is trying to offer me when I call in to suspend my account, the ESPN/Disney package is only worth $5 a month…

Like has been said here, Dish is making money on this dispute because they surely pay more than $5 a month for the ESPN / Disney / FX channels (and the O&O ABC that I lost as well). And they make even from those that don't ask for a refund for channels they are paying for but no longer get.

Reactions: drwatson618
I tried watching F-1 race live in ESPN+. It wants a TV provider to watch it. So race is over and to watch it on demand still needs a TV provider. Choices for TV provider are Spectrun, hulu, DISH, etc, etc. I am stuck.

• Sad
Reactions: Josephinelcajon
I still have abc 27 out of Harrisburg for now....

From Wiki, these are the ABC O&O stations. These are the markets that lost their local ABC on Saturday.

Fresno, CAKFSN-TV ++30 (30)1986CapCities
Los AngelesKABC-TV **7 (7)1949ABC
San Francisco - Oakland - San JoseKGO-TV **7 (12)1949ABC
ChicagoWLS-TV **7 (22)1948ABC
New York CityWABC-TV **7 (7)1948ABC
Raleigh - Durham - Fayetteville, NCWTVD ++11 (9)1986CapCities
PhiladelphiaWPVI-TV ++6 (6)1986CapCities
HoustonKTRK-TV ++13 (13)1986CapCities

I tried watching F-1 race live in ESPN+. It wants a TV provider to watch it. So race is over and to watch it on demand still needs a TV provider. Choices for TV provider are Spectrun, hulu, DISH, etc, etc. I am stuck.
The F1 Game is on ESPN 3, not +, so you would need a provider for that.

• Sad
Like has been said here, Dish is making money on this dispute because they surely pay more than $5 a month for the ESPN / Disney / FX channels (and the O&O ABC that I lost as well). And they make even from those that don't ask for a refund for channels they are paying for but no longer get.
Dish isn't necessarily making money unless Disney channels are out for a long time or never come back. I'm assuming (yes, I know) that if an agreement is reached, it will go back to cover from the end of the last contract (9/30).

Personally I'm guessing an agreement will be made by 10/14. I have absolutely nothing to back that up, just a guess.

Just to clarify: there's a single ESPN app. That app is home to two things: the standalone ESPN+ streaming service (which you pay ESPN directly for, or pay through your app store such as Apple, Google, Roku, Amazon, etc.) as well as "TV everywhere" streaming from the ESPN cable channels. To get the latter, you will need to be subscribed to a cable TV package that includes the specific ESPN channels and then use that log in inside the ESPN app.

ESPN+ does NOT include the same content that airs on the cable ESPN channels. About the only exception to that rule is that, some weeks (not every week), ESPN's Monday Night Football streams on ESPN+ but with different play call announcers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)