Distant Network Shutoff on December 1st?

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
The vast majority of those affected by the distant networks cut-off on Dish are ineligible for distant networks though DirecTV so any exodus would be in vain.

See ya
Tony

jrbdmb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 5, 2004
The very well-practiced liars at E* will do their utmost to extract every dime from their subscribers in an effort to delay the inevitable stampede of intelligent subscribers from them to DIRECTV.

The GOOD News: DIRECTV has a future. A bright future, with two new satellites to provide HD bandwidth going up in 2007.

The grubs running E* have zero foresight. Just greed.
Go away, Rupert. :rolleyes:

And BTW, even if you drink the DirecTV kool-aid, you should realize that it is in everyone's interest to have healthy competition. I prefer Dish, but I'm glad that DirecTV (and Comcast) are around to keep Dish on their toes.

Last edited:

JohnH

Godfather of the Uplink Reports
Oct 5, 2003
Kansas City, Missouri
The GOOD News: DIRECTV has a future. A bright future, with two new satellites to provide HD bandwidth going up in 2007.

Of course, DIRECTV(Rupert) will just absorb the cost of those 2 satellites and give away HD channels galore. :D

BTW: Someone has posted their Distant Networks were shut off today.

minnow

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 5, 2003
How forthcoming will D* phone people be when a customer inquires about switching though ??

The best thing to do is go to the Directv web site, find the address broker and find out first hand. I would certainly not sign up for Direct under the assumpton that just because I had DNS with Dish, I was gonna get them over at Directv.

nitstalker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 9, 2004
I come to the conclusion that the E* camp just doesnt give a &^%$, either that or they are just plain dumb...

I called in today to *move* to my house upstate. I only have access to a couple of local off air channels here, so Im one of the people screwed. I asked the girl (playing dumb) if since I was moving would I still be able to get my NY & LA feeds of Fox & NBC since I would be in a different market??? Sure she said.. In fact you can also add your locals for 5 bucks more...

So I got my locals and kept the NY & LA feeds... And now Im in a local market with those channels

Stupid people

Buzzdar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 5, 2006
USA
here is the note i got back from my email to complain about losing distant networks..

Dear Jeff:

I wanted to drop you a note to let you know I received your message regarding distant network channels.

I appreciate you contacting my office regarding this issue and thank you for sharing your concerns with me. As you know, a U.S. District Court Judge in Florida recently ruled that EchoStar Communications must stop selling out-of-market state feeds to Dish Network subscribers around the country by December 1st , due to EchoStar engaging in a "pattern and practice" of proving distant signals to those who did not qualify as underserved.
EchoStar is expected to appeal this rule. Please know I fully support communication services to all areas and be assured I will continue to monitor this issue as events occur.

If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact
me.

Sincerely,

Jerry F. Costello
Member of Congress

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Translation: "Blah, blah, vote for me, blah blah. :D

I spoke face-to-face with my congressman who is currently in a very tight race for his seat with a bonafide wiesel. He said he knew about the situation but no one in his district could legally get distant networks. When I discussed that some insist that there is a possibility of Dayton channels being barred from Butler and Warren counties (Significantly Viewed) , he seemed to be surprised and said he would look into that aspect of it but did not think that was true since the SV was "part of another act". His words.

See ya
Tony

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
When I discussed that some insist that there is a possibility of Dayton channels being barred from Butler and Warren counties....
Is there still that mapping screw-up for southern Montgomery Co and surrounding ?? I recall a "consumer alert" story or something by Howard Nathan (sp ?) on WDTN about people in the city of Miamisburg who couldn't get Dayton locals from DirecTV based on their address.

The Cincy/Dayton metro area is bad between what locals people get vs what they want when they're often halfway. A co-worker lives in Franklin and he and his wife work in Dayton. With D*, they're in Cincy territory for local channels.

srbond

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 22, 2006
If/when I lose my DS, I'll save $5 a month

I guess that's not so bad, since I'll still have my superstations and distant CW, etc.

I'll be able to legally downlaod Lost for ABC... all I need is to find an ER download for the wife and I'm all set.

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
I guess that's not so bad, since I'll still have my superstations and distant CW, etc.

I'll be able to legally downlaod Lost for ABC... all I need is to find an ER download for the wife and I'm all set.
I'm curious, how do you download "Lost"?
Can you play it back on your TV?

DISH_NC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 6, 2006
Raleigh, NC
I'm curious, how do you download "Lost"?
Can you play it back on your TV?

It's made available the day after the show airs on ABC's website and you technically don't "download" it, but watch it on the web via their player and your web-browser.

The quality is quite good although you can't make it fullscreen, at least when I watched it last year. Oh, and you HAVE to watch 4 commercial 'breaks' during the show.

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
... all I need is to find an ER download for the wife and I'm all set.
It's definitely out there if you look. You can even find a DivX or XviD version of the HD version of the show. I've even converted those back to MPEG2 format and burned on a DVD and it's much better than I expected it to be.

mecro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 11, 2005
Cleveland, OH
It's definitely out there if you look. You can even find a DivX or XviD version of the HD version of the show. I've even converted those back to MPEG2 format and burned on a DVD and it's much better than I expected it to be.

I got tired of doing that. I went out and bought a DivX certified DVD player (40 bucks) that plays XviD and DivX files right off of a DVD+-R or +-RW. You can fit a whole season of a TV series on one DVD-RW!!

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
Yes, that's another option.... Not for me though. I've replaced 3 *working* DVD players just 'cause I wanted something better or that added functionality (first, SVCD support, then PAL conversion, then progressive scan, and so on....). Hell, now I'm considering an up-converting DVD player !

mecro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 11, 2005
Cleveland, OH
My 39.99 HHGregg special Toshiba DVD player plays anything i've thrown at it, xvid on dvd-r included. My JVC works just as well, but the picture is darker on it for some reason...weird.

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
It's made available the day after the show airs on ABC's website and you technically don't "download" it, but watch it on the web via their player and your web-browser.

The quality is quite good although you can't make it fullscreen, at least when I watched it last year. Oh, and you HAVE to watch 4 commercial 'breaks' during the show.

That's what I thought. I didn't think it could be downloaded. I wish it could but I guess they don't want people burning dvds of the shows and editing out the commerical breaks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts