distant network waivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

josh0207

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Nov 28, 2011
I applied for distant network local waivers today. Does anyone know how long it usally takes local stations to make a decision on them...and how likely are they to grant them...

I have no idea how long it will take, but you have to be in an area that doesn't get locals from the satellite. What is your zip code?

My zipcode is 17268...I do get locals but I called the fcc and they told me to file for waivers and that its up to the local stations weather they would grant them or not so I can get the distant networks...so I called directv and they filed the waivers for me and now they are pending.

it took mine 2-3 days, with a resounding NO
but then directv for my locals and I switched to them

I applied for distant network local waivers today. Does anyone know how long it usally takes local stations to make a decision on them...and how likely are they to grant them...

I will assume they wont approve them. Entering a Waynesboro address in the DIrectv distants site makes it real simple

Distant Network Service programming is not available because DIRECTV offers local channels to this location.

If Directv offers locals they CANNOT offer distants to you. Simple as that

My zipcode is 17268...I do get locals but I called the fcc and they told me to file for waivers and that its up to the local stations weather they would grant them or not so I can get the distant networks...so I called directv and they filed the waivers for me and now they are pending.

funny as the FCC is the same ones who says "if locals are available you cannot get distants"...and thats how Dish lost the ability to give you ANY out of market station (even if you had no affiliate for that network) for years

Yeah I thought I couldnt get them either...I called directv and they were giving me the run around about not getting them then I told them I called the fcc and talked to them about waivers...so then the representative applied for waivers for me...when I go to check waivers section on directvs website they say pending...they prob wont grant them...but when I was with dish and had all american direct distant locals the local stations did grant me waivers...

but when I was with dish and had all american direct distant locals the local stations did grant me waivers...
you're comparing apples to watermelons

AAD is a separate company that offered distants. Dish got around the rules by using AAD
Directv can't do that

Yeah...I know I guess I will just have to wait and see if they grant or denied the waivers...

Your best bet if you want distant networks is to use the RV exemption... For that you need a motor home, camper, RV, etc registered in your name with your local DMV (there are creative ways to accomplish this if you don't have one though, just search past threads). You fill out the paperwork, send it in and it is usually automatic... but you only get one set, either NYC or LA now depending on your address. You'd get the NYC affiliates only, plus CW from DC and an SD PBS. You're supposed to have separate accounts for this as well, but depending on how many receivers you have you might be able to convince them all are in your RV.. works most of the time.

Or just "move" your service address to NYC for "work" and get the same thing without the hassle.

True, but with RV exemption you don't run the risk of where you "moved" getting caught, and you get to keep both your real locals and the DNS service

Can someone post a link on how to get rv exemption...i dont have a rv or camper...ive been looking and cant find it...

In order to get an rv exemption, you need an rv, and you have to prove you do have one.

Way back when before my DMA got locals from DirecTV I got waivers and got the four networks (both west and east coast).
Then at some point they removed the west coast ones. Moving forward, when HD arrived, the DNS was available in HD and for some unknown reason, the west coast was restored.
I guess this is my grandfathered status. I'm wondering when DirecTV will remove my DNS? I'm sure there are many similar stories by members.

It is true Satellite can not give you Distants if they provide your locals. But that applies if you are in a "White Zone." That means even if you prove you are by FCC standards not able to get a local OTA channels, assuming Satellite carries your locals (does not matter if you get them or not) they can not give you a Distant.
However, if you somehow manage to get a waiver, Satellite can give you a distant. Will Direct do it is another question, they do not have to.
I also believe there is a restriction on not getting a Distant that is ahead of your time zone.

Yeah you are right...when I talked to directv I asked them and they said if my local stations grant me waivers I still would only be eligible for east cost distant networks and I couldnt get the west coast ones

I also believe there is a restriction on not getting a Distant that is ahead of your time zone.

I did a great deal of research on this whole issue, and based on the best available information here is DirecTV's current interpretation of the law (the one they seem to enforce). If your locals are available to you through them even in SD you don't qualify for waivers under any circumstances (with the exception of the RV exemption previously discussed). If you live in one of the very rare areas where DirecTV doesn't offer local channels, AND you can't receive local channels Over the Air you can request DNS service but the local stations can still refuse waivers. The previously mentioned DirecTV tool allows you to enter your exact address and will tell you if you are eligible to file waivers or not. As for the two coasts issue I tried to argue that when I got my RV exemption. I argued that since I was on the east coast giving me both the east coast and west coast wouldn't violate the provision of the law that doesn't allow you to get locals earlier than your time zone. They finally did offer me a "grandfathered" $20 a month package of both coasts, but I only could've gotten it in SD so I declined. Best advice as stated by others- if you want the NYC or LA locals "move" yourself to one of those markets or go to a junk yard, buy a crappy RV and register it in your name. And if you do "move" do your homework, the NYC & LA DMAs are vast. Pick a small town to be your new home, not in the city itself.

Yeah you are right...when I talked to directv I asked them and they said if my local stations grant me waivers I still would only be eligible for east cost distant networks and I couldnt get the west coast ones

That's not correct, it is the other way around...... East Coast can get West Coast, Mountain or Central, West Coast can not get East Coast or Central, it may be able to get Mountain if they start network programming same time as West Coast. (As Central does the same as East Coast) It's an earlier time that is not allowed.

As for how Direct TV is interpreting it, what cpalmer2k was told is about correct, except they can give you a Distant if they wanted to if you have a waiver. (And the law states that waiver must come through Direct TV (Or your satellite provider) asking for it on your behalf) And you are correct about the RV exemption, at least last I looked that does not have the earlier time restriction.

Last edited:
I totally agree with you guys they did request waivers for me...I know because when I got to their website and use the check waivers tool they say they are pending for all stations...as far as getting both feeds the csr told me only east coast feeds would be available and thats only if the waivers are granted which im not getting my hopes up because its a long shot...but if they are I will argue the fact that west coast feeds do not show prime time programming before east cost...which the law states cant happen.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)