DNS - Fox HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Janney66 said:
OK now I'm confused...and worried. I live in the Boston area, and I will be getting my HD service installed this week. I should qualify for Fox and CBS according to the DirecTV website. Are you guys saying I won't be able to get these channels now, unless I try and get them OTA?

see:
http://www.directv.com/see/landing/fox_hd.html
http://www.directv.com/see/landing/cbs_hd.html

According to the website you should be able to get FOX HD and CBS HD.
After you get your service activated call the HD eligibilty department at 1 800 263 0028 and ask them to get FOX HD and CBS HD turned on for you.

boog_aloo said:
BTW....I now only receive the East feed on Fox HD (channel 88).

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the only way to get both 88 and 89 is to pay for 388 and 389. If you are getting them for free you only get one of the two channels.

"WHAT CHANNEL IS FOX HDTV PROGRAMMING ON?

Customers in the Central and Eastern Time zones receive FOX HDTV programming on channel 88 (WNYW, New York).

Customers in the Pacific and Mountain Time zones receive FOX HDTV programming on channel 89 (KTTV, Los Angeles). "

see:
http://www.directv.com/see/landing/fox_hd.html

boog_aloo said:
....she did state that it depends on the network on whether or not there is a charge. ABC requires that you subscribe to DNS in order to receive the HD channels. Fox does not. I did not inquire about CBS or NBC though.

GO BOILERS!!!!!!!!!

(or any BigTen team.....cept IU)

I'm really suprised that she would say that since it is not true. I get ABC HD(86), FOX HD(88), NBC HD(82) and CBS HD(80) all for free because I live in chicago and all four networks are O&O here.

Go Hawks!!

Thanks guys! That's what I originally thought. I can live with just CBS and Fox until they get our local HD channels sometime this year.

dgordo said:
You have DNS and network HD feeds confused. Getting LIL prevents you from getting DNS, but not network HD feeds, the way you qualify for DNS is different then the way you get network HD feeds, although once you qualify for DNS then you can get network HD feeds.

I very well am confused because this is exactly what they are telling many new subs after 12/31/04. I have listened in on the phone calls with friends trying to get new service. This is being said to them for both DNS and network HD services and they are being denied for BOTH based on the fact that they can get either SD locals via DBS or a Grade-B minimum via OTA. This is why I have been asking for phone numbers & names that are not normally listed. So they can get hooked up correctly. All mine was done LONG ago so I didn't have all this red tape & confusion; just ask, pay and its on.

charper1 said:
I very well am confused because this is exactly what they are telling many new subs after 12/31/04. I have listened in on the phone calls with friends trying to get new service. This is being said to them for both DNS and network HD services and they are being denied for BOTH based on the fact that they can get either SD locals via DBS or a Grade-B minimum via OTA.

So these new subs live in a TV market where the channels are O&O, and they are still being told they can't get the HD network feeds? Are they calling the HD eligibilty number? You got me worried again.

charper1 said:
I very well am confused because this is exactly what they are telling many new subs after 12/31/04. I have listened in on the phone calls with friends trying to get new service. This is being said to them for both DNS and network HD services and they are being denied for BOTH based on the fact that they can get either SD locals via DBS or a Grade-B minimum via OTA. This is why I have been asking for phone numbers & names that are not normally listed. So they can get hooked up correctly. All mine was done LONG ago so I didn't have all this red tape & confusion; just ask, pay and its on.

The unfortunate reality is that the low level csr's don't have a clue what they are doing. They know how to read a script and not much else. That is why you should avoid calling the main phone number and always call directly to the department you need to speak with.

Sorry to bring this back up, but thought I might shed some light. I just had my service turned on today. I asked the CSR that I talked to about turning on my FOXHD since I live in the Memphis DMA, she couldn't really help me, she kept saying that I needed a waiver. I told her I would call the HD Dept. and when I did it took literally 3 seconds and I have my FOX-HD.

Thanks dgordo for that number.

One friend I talked about in MEM called that exact number and still got refused, he is 7.2 miles from the tower and has decide to just go OTA for now.

I got my HD activated, after dealing with their systems being down all weekend. I called the HD eligibilty number and they set me up with FOX and CBS (both O&O in my area) without any difficulty at all.

am i elgible

i live in southeastern ky and live about 85 miles from the closest network tower. i can get my locals in analog from dbs. am i elgible for distant hd feeds. it is impossible to get my locals ota (mountains etc).
thanks for any help

Mathius8, I am in the same situation with a twist. I live around 40 miles from the towers NW of Portland, OR. I currently have the locals and distant networks via D* on my MS Ultimate TV DVR. I recently picked up a 43" Plasma HD Dispaly (it is great) and I will want to move to an HD DVR. My wife will not live with out her DVR, nor will I for that matter. I really do not want to pay $1K for the D*Tivo now, only to have to buy something later when they switch to MPEG4. OTA is so far out of the question, I have tried the best OTA antenna on my 50' HAM tower, no luck.

Here are my questions/concerns.
1. Should I be able to receive all distant HD network feeds?
2. Should I wait to buy and get an mpeg4 receiver (most likley a D* DVR)?

Thanks
-Eric

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)