Do i need a cover for my wiring outside?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

djbtampabay

Original poster
Dec 14, 2007
Hi

I had directtv inststalled yesterday.

The picture is perfect but i have a concern regarding the outside wiring.

The wires from the dish go into a "junction box" 4 way (i only have 1 tv on satellite so the other 3 are spare). The connector is just drilled to the outside wall without any cover on it. I asked the installer to cover it and he said they never cover them. Is that true or is it bull? I cant believe the connector should be left out to the elements>

thanks

Hi

I had directtv inststalled yesterday.

The picture is perfect but i have a concern regarding the outside wiring.

The wires from the dish go into a "junction box" 4 way (i only have 1 tv on satellite so the other 3 are spare). The connector is just drilled to the outside wall without any cover on it. I asked the installer to cover it and he said they never cover them. Is that true or is it bull? I cant believe the connector should be left out to the elements>

thanks

If they are the usual Compression fittings you should be fine, most of the time there is what they call a drip loop before the connection as well , I have never seen a D*, DISH or Cable guy not do this, so you should be fine :)

Jimbo

Jimbo

thanks for the speedy reply.

It is (i think) the compresion junction . The wiring goes striaght from ther dish into this 4 junction fitting which looks as though it should be enclosed. I think i will buy and small cable cover box for it. Cant do any harm if covered. Looks terrible as it is and i worry about the effect of weather here in florida.

They are called "drop boxes" and electric supply stores will have them. As mentioned by others the fittings are designed to be outdoors. But, as you pointed out, for appearance purposes a drop box would make the job look better. They are not used for cost reasons but I like them and keep a few in the truck to upsell.

Joe

I had been wondering about this also. A "drop box" might be good not only for appearance purposes but also to make it less inviting to curious or mischievous folk. Does anyone know the approximate cost of drop boxes?

What about a link to home depot or lowes? When I googled "drop boxes" - all kinds of other stuff came up. What is the technical term called?

Try outdoor enclosure, project box, electrical distribution box. CATV supplies......They are plastic and come in all sizes.
You can even make one from a cheap plastic tool box............cut a 1" x 4" panel out of the box end, not the top or lid.

screw it to your wall....hole down....install the ground block & cables...close the door.

They do not have to be watertight. The idea is to protect the fittings from water running across the fitings. There chould be a service loop with each fitting and these can be coiled & tied in the box. A neat installation has the "drop box" (CATV term) with the entrance hole inside the box so the sat lines go into the box and are grounded there to the bond. The grounded lines continue into the house through the back of the box.

Joe

Only switches that I would recommend enclosing are the self powered switchs, all others are fine to leave exposed so long as the connections are snug tightened. Cable puts plastic boxes up and primestar used to but they harbour spiders and hornets and are generaly large and ugly.

If you are looking for one really tough box, then, you'd be interested in someting like this one.

It weighs close to two pounds and has 3/32 inch thick walls, a neoprene gasketed door, vinyl cable entry and exit insert gromets, and stainless steel screws. They are made from a UV stabilized polymer.

The internal baffles have been removed. It's about 8x9x2 inside.

They are tougher than the ones that the telephone companies use and much tougher than the thin wall ones made for cable companies. Their design life is 20 years plus.

I got only a few of them. If you are interested in one, send me a PM.

Attachments

• hdbox.JPG
    hdbox.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 175
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)