Do it all over again..

Status
Please reply by conversation.
We started with D* in Northern Virginia back in '99 because the local cable was so old that the system was almost unuseable. Moved to San Antonio, TX in '03 and it turned out the house we bought had been purposedly wired for D* and had no cable laid to the house from the street though it was available. Stuck with D* and wouldn't go to all the trouble to get the house switched over to cable. Wife doesn't care long as she can see her shows but NFLST was/is the biggest driving force for me. Might consider cable if my Seahawks games became available through wider availability of NFLST though I can't think of any particular reason other than cost.

I can get CBS and FOX in HD from D* and my local cable can't offer that. E* screwed up with their distants, so I'm staying put.

I can get CBS and FOX in HD from D* and my local cable can't offer that. E* screwed up with their distants, so I'm staying put.

I can't get CBS or FOX in HD from D*; but with simple indoor rabiit ears, I get good OTA FOX & CBS HD signals, plus multicast channels from all of the locals that are not carried by D* or TWC.

There's only one OTA HD channel available in my area, jpn, and it's NBC. I wish that weren't the case, but you deal with you have.

Understood. My previous home was between two hills, 60 miles from any tower. I would have needed an enormous antenna on a mast at least 50 feet tall, with a rotor and amplifier, to get any OTA at all.

Verizon FIOS if I did it today. Way back then, D* was an easy choice. I got tired of waiting for D* to fix their hardware and give us national HD channels, and they cost more than any other service in our area.

The one box I had which had worked perfectly since purchase was the HR10-250-then they did a software update and destroyed it.

You can still make an argument for D*, just not a good one, and only if you believe what they promise in late 2007 or 2008 and you are willing to wait that long.

Just my consumer viewpoint. Obviously, consumer opinion varies a lot, and provokes strong outbursts on this Forum. Amazes me that people ruin their day arguing about it. Get the service which seems best to you, and try to save some money.

D* is a very expensive Keystone Cops operation, and not consumer friendly, but so are most of the other guys.

I am sticking with D* for their promises in the future

If by Jan of 2008 those promises have not been met, I will never ever give my business to them

Although I miss my Local on the 8's, I'd stick with D*. Charter Communications was very incompetent with horrible service (periodic outages for no reason whatsoever and ridiculous rates). They prompted me to switch when they cut service roughly 18 hours before Hurricane Katrina struck (Sunday afternoon, Aug. 28), while still getting updates on the storm and evacuations.

Now they're begging me to come back to them. No way.

Although I miss my Local on the 8's, I'd stick with D*. Charter Communications was very incompetent with horrible service (periodic outages for no reason whatsoever and ridiculous rates). They prompted me to switch when they cut service roughly 18 hours before Hurricane Katrina struck (Sunday afternoon, Aug. 28), while still getting updates on the storm and evacuations.

Now they're begging me to come back to them. No way.

My sister lives right off the Causeway on the Northshore and told me the same thing.

On top of that, Charter told people a month after Katrina that it would take 6 months for them to even come out and try to fix their cable service while D* told them 2 weeks.

In just the past 12 months D* has followed through almost 100% on target with what they have told us is coming. Spaceway 1 & 2 were launched, and by end of 2006 they will have amost 75% of households being provided HD lils (that is actually ahead of plan BTW). Despite all the gloom and doom predictions, the HR-20 launched in the summer, and is a huge best seller for them.

DIRECTV 9S launched in October - and DIRECTV10 is set to go early 1st Q of 2007. As soon as DIRECTV10 is in orbit D* will have MORE than enough capacity to carry virtually EVERY HD channel it WANTS. But that does NOT mean it will just carry EVERY channel. They have said in their most recent analyst broadcasts that they plan on 30 HD nat'ls by end of 1st Q.

It's really NOT a stretch anymore that these things are REAL and that they are NEAR.

In just the past 12 months D* has followed through almost 100% on target with what they have told us is coming. Spaceway 1 & 2 were launched, and by end of 2006 they will have amost 75% of households being provided HD lils (that is actually ahead of plan BTW). Despite all the gloom and doom predictions, the HR-20 launched in the summer, and is a huge best seller for them.

DIRECTV 9S launched in October - and DIRECTV10 is set to go early 1st Q of 2007. As soon as DIRECTV10 is in orbit D* will have MORE than enough capacity to carry virtually EVERY HD channel it WANTS. But that does NOT mean it will just carry EVERY channel. They have said in their most recent analyst broadcasts that they plan on 30 HD nat'ls by end of 1st Q.

It's really NOT a stretch anymore that these things are REAL and that they are NEAR.

That's what I like to hear :up:up:up:up:up

The wild feeds are fun, but the backhauls are very entertaining. You never know what you are going to hear!

Oh, for my BUD days, just before the mini-dishes came out.

Chicago Bulls were rockin' and I got almost all the backhauls. Got all the games, bar none, usually from your choice of home or away network.

Those days were the most fun TV days I ever had. Sure, we only had TV in one room, no DVR, and you had to wait, wait, wait to move to channels on different sats, but you don't miss what you've never had.

Oh, this is off-topic. Yes, in my area, D* and E* are the only logical choices. Cable is awful. I've been with one kind of satellite or the other since 1992.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts