Do they no longer activate used equipment?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
miguelaqui said:
I just called, these CSRs are just as bad as anywhere else, and was told that they no longer activate used equipment.

My goal was to buy a DVR, get the new card and not have the commitment; I HATE commitments.

The guy told me that they will not activate used equipment! I was told, 2 weeks ago, that, should I buy a DVR from Ebay, I could purchase a new card and they would activate it.

Which is true?

I guess it's Depending on how long you have been a suscriber. I recently added a used Zenith HD-SAT520 to my account w/o any problems. I've been a customer since 1997, which can be the reason why I had no problems adding it.

DTV let me add a used/ebay rcvr too without problem. I'd been a sub since 1996

Dish let me add a 811 I bought on ebay, as a new subscriber, with no commitment.

Purogamer said:
Well then why do you think you're going to be the 1 subscriber they don't lock into a commitment?

I would not be the 1st subscriber they didn't lock into a commitment. I've installed several systems for friends who bought their own stuff with no commitment. This was a long time ago.

I was trying to find ways to avoid a commitment by buying my own equipment and not doing a promotion.

If I have to, I'll just go with the install and all. It just does not make sense to me that they would rather pay the installer to install the system, than let me install it myself and not have the commitment, especially a 2 year one.

miguelaqui said:
I would not be the 1st subscriber they didn't lock into a commitment. I've installed several systems for friends who bought their own stuff with no commitment. This was a long time ago.

I was trying to find ways to avoid a commitment by buying my own equipment and not doing a promotion.

If I have to, I'll just go with the install and all. It just does not make sense to me that they would rather pay the installer to install the system, than let me install it myself and not have the commitment, especially a 2 year one.

The commitment is not just because of the free Install.

It all boils down to one thing and one thing only, they want to make sure they make money off of you, hence the commitment. If they go through the trouble of setting up an account for you, and activating your hardware. Then you cancel after 30 days, they did not make any money. Not to mention, they give you the Dish, free install and standard receivers.

They do not have a package where Dish, free install and standard receivers are not included. Maybe they should, but they don't. That's all there is to it.

Look at it this way, gyms usually require a commitment of at least one year, and there is no equipment to buy or anything, they just want to make sure that they make money. As Cuba said "SHOW ME THE MONEY!" They are in business to make money and that is that.

Lets see if you buy or rent your home it requires a commitment. If you have a job it requires a commitment. If you get married or have kids there is a commitment. Life is full of commitments on order to get what you desire. So since you hate commitments you must be unemployed, homeless and single with no children. That being the case you don't need a commitment to owning a TV.

Like I said in your other post: "So if you don't like DTV and you are upset about a 1 year commitment, then it would seem logical you should go to a service you like and a commitment or non-commitment you like. Why come in here and bitch about things like that? Seems to me there are other choices that should make you happy. Or maybe you have nothing better to do than troll. (Maybe)"

miguelaqui,
I really think it all boils down to the fact that you are not a current sub. Yes they use to allow activation on used equipment, not anymore...
I have purchased receivers from garage sales and was turned down, wasted $50 at the garage sale because of this, that was when all receivers were still over $100 .

I just activated my service, they did not like it that I set up my own equipment, dish and receivers...
Gave me a hard time, then I told them that it was not rocket science and I did not want to wait a week for thier guy to come out to the house.

I told them I had a good signal and was watching Tanya Memee all morning, they finally realized that I had a picture and did know what I was doing.

Try buying the used equipment for a good price and activate it a few weeks after you are a current sub and see if that helps

Jimbo

The odd thing is that, when a relative passed away,about 6 months ago, I called to disconnect his DTV service, the guy on the phone told me that I could use his equipment, they would just have to send me new cards.

I am just shocked that their policies changed so much!!!

Jimbos said:
miguelaqui,
I really think it all boils down to the fact that you are not a current sub. Yes they use to allow activation on used equipment, not anymore...
I have purchased receivers from garage sales and was turned down, wasted $50 at the garage sale because of this, that was when all receivers were still over $100 .

I just activated my service, they did not like it that I set up my own equipment, dish and receivers...
Gave me a hard time, then I told them that it was not rocket science and I did not want to wait a week for thier guy to come out to the house.

I told them I had a good signal and was watching Tanya Memee all morning, they finally realized that I had a picture and did know what I was doing.

Try buying the used equipment for a good price and activate it a few weeks after you are a current sub and see if that helps

Jimbo

sorry, as a csr, i think its funny that most of you think we take that kinda thing to heart. I, for one as a CSR, could give a *beep* less who sets up your equipment. did you ever think that the csr didn't really care if you thought "it wasn't rocket science". And was just frustrated he has to talk to another DTV know-it-all.

and the commiments on add. recievers are standard, no matter what. On new activations it cannot and will not be waived. When you add one, within the right terms, they can be waived. Anyways, why would you waste your money on something you dont plan on keeping anyways..... go see if you can buy a cell phone without a commitment, and watch the guy laugh in your face.

You can buy cell phones all day long without a comitment..I have two. CSR's like you are the reason I hang up and call back to get another that understands the reality that this is ONLY tv. Rules get bent all the time...been doing this since '95. Seems like you just get off on some kinda power trip twisting people around on activations..sorry, it may take me three calls, but EVERYONE goes in.. and activates.. :D :D :D

shugo77 said:
The commitment is not just because of the free Install.

It all boils down to one thing and one thing only, they want to make sure they make money off of you, hence the commitment. If they go through the trouble of setting up an account for you, and activating your hardware. Then you cancel after 30 days, they did not make any money. Not to mention, they give you the Dish, free install and standard receivers.
shugo77 said:
Yes, I really can understand if you get something for free, then there should be a commitment. I do not understand when someone buys the equipment, there should be a commitment.

shugo77 said:
They do not have a package where Dish, free install and standard receivers are not included. Maybe they should, but they don't. That's all there is to it.
That's all I needed to know. This thread can be erased now!!!!!

satguysac said:
You can buy cell phones all day long without a comitment..I have two. CSR's like you are the reason I hang up and call back to get another that understands the reality that this is ONLY tv. Rules get bent all the time...been doing this since '95. Seems like you just get off on some kinda power trip twisting people around on activations..sorry, it may take me three calls, but EVERYONE goes in.. and activates.. :D :D :D

haha yeah right, you tell me one provider that lets you sign up without a commitment, free phone or not. im trying to refrain from name calling, your making it really hard.

funny... im the guy who gets off on a power trip? i believe im the guy who said i could give a crap less who set up your equipment, as long as you say its working, fine by me. and what have you been doing since 95, post stupid stuff on an online message board, because you subscribe to dtv or dish doesn't make you a tv expert buddy..... and finally, why in the world would i care if you activate, all that icare is that you verify your information and verify programming is being recieved so i dont get dinged on quality. so get bent.....

Nice response crunkrock,
It's attitudes like yours that cause people to change services..
If D* wants to keep thier subs happy they WILL go out of thier way to help the subs

There are a lot of you CSr's that are down right rude, there are also plenty of you that do NOT know what you are talking about.

I personally feel I know quite a bit about your service.
If you mention anything out of the ordinary they haven't a clue.

Try mentioning anything about MPEG 4 and you get a "Well they haven't told us anything".
I also get the "IF its not on our computer screen we can't and don't know anything about it.

Don't forget, when someone calls to ask a question about your service they have a right to know what they are asking about.

Keep in mind that they have already been on the phone for 10 minutes going thru your stupid prompts.

On the other hand there are some that are very knowledgeable, like the lady I spoke with tonignt.

She "bent the rules" as you say can't be done, made her happy to be able to help as well as me.
Some of your rules (such as zip code restrictions ) are down right stupid.

I live on the Ohio/Michigan boarder, 50ft or so away, and get blacked out of a city 50 minutes away, and get stuck with info from a city 300 miles away that I could care less about :mad:

From you post I've read, it looks like you to just sit behind a screen and answer phones.
Have you ever been out in the real world and done any of this stuff ???

Sorry about the rant,

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
Nice response crunkrock,
It's attitudes like yours that cause people to change services..
If D* wants to keep thier subs happy they WILL go out of thier way to help the subs

yeah within policys, trust me. im not getting a bad quality score by giving you credit that wasnt nessicary:p

Jimbos said:
There are a lot of you CSr's that are down right rude, there are also plenty of you that do NOT know what you are talking about.

oh an of course because i disagree with you im definatly one of those people. of course...

Jimbos said:
I personally feel I know quite a bit about your service.
If you mention anything out of the ordinary they haven't a clue.
Try mentioning anything about MPEG 4 and you get a "Well they haven't told us anything".
I also get the "IF its not on our computer screen we can't and don't know anything about it.[/QUOTE]

98 percent of the people there dont need to know about mpeg4 until its released.. why? because DIRECTV doesn't make any of this available to csrs until its released, and why you ask? well why would they release sketchy information early, just so you can call and ask pointless questions about. When its released, you will know more and so will we...

i mean seriously not everyone working there really cares after all "its ONLY tv". alot of the people i work with are pregnet woman just trying to make a living. And of course its her fault that DTV doesn't give her training about a service thats 6 months away.

Jimbos said:
Don't forget, when someone calls to ask a question about your service they have a right to know what they are asking about.

Keep in mind that they have already been on the phone for 10 minutes going thru your stupid prompts.

true, but about service we currently have. CSRS are marked down on quality for speculating on anything that isn't "on there screen". anything that is outside of there data base, they dont know about. And thats how it should be. When a customer calls and asks me about MPEG 4 and what will happen to current HD subscribers, of course i know the prez already said we will offer free upgrade options. But until my database at work says that, im not saying anything because im not getting written up for speculating on information. If customers here the wrong thing from just 1 csr, they will remember it.

Jimbos said:
On the other hand there are some that are very knowledgeable, like the lady I spoke with tonignt.

She "bent the rules" as you say can't be done, made her happy to be able to help as well as me.
Some of your rules (such as zip code restrictions ) are down right stupid.

I live on the Ohio/Michigan boarder, 50ft or so away, and get blacked out of a city 50 minutes away, and get stuck with info from a city 300 miles away that I could care less about :mad:

Wow, good for her. Let her "bend the rules". im work there to make money and do what i've been told to do. Im not losing my job by activating used equipment just to save you $20. every stop to think its against are policys and against the rules as CSRS to do that kinda stuff. I hear this crap on here all the time about "CSR roulette".... give me a break, we all have access to the same database, some choose to follow some dont. The ones that do, are the ones who keep there jobs the longest.

Jimbos said:
From you post I've read, it looks like you to just sit behind a screen and answer phones.
Have you ever been out in the real world and done any of this stuff ???

Sorry about the rant,

Jimbo

oh yeah of course, i spend my whole life glued to directv.... taking stuff down putting it back up, trying to make things as complicated as possible just to get off on a technical power trip... i have definatly installed my own dish, but no. i dont spend all my time messing with it.... my new system was installed and it works, and to be honest, thats all that matters to me. When new recievers are released, i worry about them then. I dont get online and argue about which features its going to have and what it should. And as well, i do feel that the superfan thing is a little rediculous, but dont you think directv knew that there would be a small percentage of people who dont agree iwht it? do you think its just some podunk company...they have marketing and they have research. and quite honestly, complaining on a internet forum is never going to fix it.. so please... stop with this "all csrs are idiiots" crap, cause we are just following policys as whats stated on "our screen", and if you dont like it, dont call us. and if you dont, dont complain about how "stupid" we all are...

DIRECTV will not activate any new subscriber without a programming commitment. 1 yr. for a basic system and 2 yrs. for a advance system, (DVR or HD equipment.)

The good news is that you can get a free DVR advanced system for no cost at all and go ahead and accept the programming commitment, which is self liquidating, and can be canceled at any time by just returning the DVR and you pay no early termination fee whatsoever. So what would any person logically worry about with a no hassel and no cost walk away good guy clause like this one. You have absolutely no upfront cost and nothing to loose if you terminate early. We are getting all worried about nothing, absolutely nothing. Jump into DIRECTV with our DVR and you will never want to cancel, not ever. In fact you won't know how you ever lived your life without it.

Not that it matters, but for the most part just about all cell phone carriers require a credit check and a 2 yr. commitment.

-Robert

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts