Does DirecTV have an "answer" to the Hopper?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
How did you get the hr34 free? they want $400 from me?

all i did was ask. i realize this isn't the case for everyone and wasn't expecting anything when i called but to my surprise they leased me the HR34 for free and installed MRV at no charge.

The whole reason it doesn't work that was is the H-25's (our Joeys) have their own tuners, the Joey's come neutered and do not have their own tuner. We can turn our H-25's into "Joey" mode though just by hitting record on the H-25. Now we are in Joey mode where we use a tuner from the HR34. I prefer the H-25's to have their own tuner so they do not use up the tuners meant for recording when people want to watch live TV.

Let me get this straight though.. When you add a timer or hit record from an H25, does it get recorded on that machine? Or is it added to the shared "library" that everything can access?

Let me get this straight though.. When you add a timer or hit record from an H25, does it get recorded on that machine? Or is it added to the shared "library" that everything can access?

its recorded in the shared library
the h25 does not have an hd

With DirecTV the letters on their receivers/DVRs makes it easy to know what each one does.

One with just an H only such as an H25 is a HD receiver only. The H is for HD.
One with HR in front is a HD DVR. The H is for HD and the R is for record
One with just an R is a DVR only. The R is for record

So an H25 has its own tuner so you can watch live programming directly from it. But since it is not a DVR you cannot record on it. But when you link it to a DVR in your MRV setup, then you can record from it, but the recording is saved on your DVR in the other room.

You can use another DVR as a Joey. In that case you can record directly on it. And since it is a DVR you will get at least 2 more tuners directly from this DVR.

because you can ignore the inane commercials and "cut to the chase" :D ...
I kind of do an in between, i set timers for sports games and then let it record an hour or two, so i have a buffer to fast forward through commercials and halftime and still see the end of the game live.

I kind of do an in between, i set timers for sports games and then let it record an hour or two, so i have a buffer to fast forward through commercials and halftime and still see the end of the game live.

That's kinda how we do it. We are usually 15-20 minutes behind at times. Skipping all the nonsense is great.

Can you watch......say a recorded Greys Anatomy in the bedroom while watching a recorded Ax Men in the LR while watching a recorded The Voice in the other BR while your recording 6 other shows? HR34 does all this?

I live alone and watch everything in the living room so your point is moot.
If you want to pay an extra $12 for 3 DVR's go ahead. It doesnt bother me that you want to spend your money. But I guess since I was unemployed for so long and just started working I'd like to save money on my entertainment. So it was either drop programming package down or get rid of the other receivers. Since they gave me an awesome deal on the HR34 I couldnt go wrong :)

Having been given the run around by the Other guys, I called DirecTV and am the proud new owner of an HR34 and 3 additional tuners. The installation was done yesterday and being in the commercial AV industry I can difinitively say that Both the Hopper and the HR34 are utilizing the same system architecture. So far so good, record in one room watch in another, set the recordigs from a room without a DVR amazing technology. my personal experience, the DTV customer services is spectacular, my previous providor after 5 years treated me as a substandard customer and would not offer the upgrade and offered no explaination why only that i had to buy outright.

Having been given the run around by the Other guys, I called DirecTV and am the proud new owner of an HR34 and 3 additional tuners. The installation was done yesterday and being in the commercial AV industry I can difinitively say that Both the Hopper and the HR34 are utilizing the same system architecture. So far so good, record in one room watch in another, set the recordigs from a room without a DVR amazing technology. my personal experience, the DTV customer services is spectacular, my previous providor after 5 years treated me as a substandard customer and would not offer the upgrade and offered no explaination why only that i had to buy outright.

Looking at the wiring diagrams and scalability between the systems you'll see they are not even in the same league or technology. Kind of the same idea, and both systems do have their own pro's and con's but one system had better implementation than the other. I'll leave you to come up with which company implemented it better.

they don't use the same same system architecture but I can see where they may use very similar network schemes and /or protocols. But as they say, as long as it works well......

Last edited:
With DirecTV the letters on their receivers/DVRs makes it easy to know what each one does.

One with just an H only such as an H25 is a HD receiver only. The H is for HD.
One with HR in front is a HD DVR. The H is for HD and the R is for record
One with just an R is a DVR only. The R is for record

the exception is the R22 which is a SD only DVR that has the capability of recording HD provided you have a legit HD receiver (H or HR) on the account.

Agreed,

after re reading my post I realized what I intended to say was the network configuration is quite similar. The system operation and the architecture of the hardware is miles apart. Biggest difference (and clear winner) the HR34 doesnt need to give up a tuner when another "room" wants to watch something...(live), not to mention the ability to scale is also clearly in the DTV model's court.

Agreed,

after re reading my post I realized what I intended to say was the network configuration is quite similar. The system operation and the architecture of the hardware is miles apart. Biggest difference (and clear winner) the HR34 doesnt need to give up a tuner when another "room" wants to watch something...(live), not to mention the ability to scale is also clearly in the DTV model's court.

Somewhat similar, except you can't move the hopper to another room easily without changing some wiring/splitter around. In a SWM8 setup you could swap any box from room to room without having to rewire anything. Meaning customers moving stuff around doesn't cause service calls like swapping the location of a Hopper and Joey would.

Somewhat similar, except you can't move the hopper to another room easily without changing some wiring/splitter around. In a SWM8 setup you could swap any box from room to room without having to rewire anything. Meaning customers moving stuff around doesn't cause service calls like swapping the location of a Hopper and Joey would.

Moving a Joey would be as easy/hard as moving any of the D* SWM stuff though. And I wouldn't think moving a Hopper around is going to be an issue for many.

Moving a Joey would be as easy/hard as moving any of the D* SWM stuff though. And I wouldn't think moving a Hopper around is going to be an issue for many.

Not true. The Hopper has to be un-DC blocked as it powers up things. If I walked into a house, swapped the hopper and joey things would not work. I could walk into a home with an HR34 and two H25's. I could swap the receivers around and it would work just fine. The installer even told me this during my initial installation. With the Hopper setup the customer would swap it , say it doesn't work, call Dish, then the CSR would issue a truck roll probably affecting the installer's bonus.

Note that I'm not disagreeing with you if you want to swap a Hopper for a Joey at a location wouldn't be more difficult, but swapping Joeys or moving them isn't a big deal at all and not different from the SWM setup. But I am saying I think it will be something that won't be done very often at all.

Note that I'm not disagreeing with you if you want to swap a Hopper for a Joey at a location wouldn't be more difficult, but swapping Joeys or moving them isn't a big deal at all and not different from the SWM setup. But I am saying I think it will be something that won't be done very often at all.

I know two people personally who install/service satellite service. They will tell you differently about people moving receivers from room to room.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)