Does DirecTV have an "answer" to the Hopper?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Outside of extended families or days off, is this really an issue?

west coat people recording east coast feeds
east coast people recording west coast feed
or any channel that has a tz difference

i often set many recordings during free preview weekends, i would do more, if there were more tuners available, im thinking of going to an hr34 instead of the hr24

I'm in a house with two people and it's still nice to have. Sometimes I'll just go through the guide looking for interesting things to record, especially with all the movie channels since I'm in the "3 months free" for all the premiums. Nice to not really have to worry about whether I'll be a be able to record or interfere with live viewing. Been a few times already in a week and a half where I've had four things going at the same time. Also sometimes there's a day of the week where two things record at the same time every week.. Had this come up and also was still able to watch two hockey games at the same time with HR34's PIP. :cool:

yes it is. We've already shown examples. But you would rather troll.

Dammit...where is my can of "Troll-B-Gone". I know its here somewhere

I hope it's the industrial strength size!

here ya go

b7e7440091.jpg

I'm in a house with two people and it's still nice to have. Sometimes I'll just go through the guide looking for interesting things to record, especially with all the movie channels since I'm in the "3 months free" for all the premiums. Nice to not really have to worry about whether I'll be a be able to record or interfere with live viewing. Been a few times already in a week and a half where I've had four things going at the same time. Also sometimes there's a day of the week where two things record at the same time every week.. Had this come up and also was still able to watch two hockey games at the same time with HR34's PIP. :cool:

Exactly. The 5 tuners at one time is very nice! We record tons of shows now even though we don't watch all of it. Just so we never have to watch live TV again, except for maybe sports.

The HR34, HR24 Home Network is great. I actually had 7 different programs recording at one time on my system the other day. Not having any tuner conflicts anymore is just fantastic.

Earl

yeah, i wanted to get the hopper but after getting into details about how it worked it would have been a downgrade from our vip system, too many compromises. if price was not an issue i would prefer the direct system, but when i priced it out with hr34, and another dvr and 3 stb it would have been too much plus $400 up front. just moved back to fios and the set up is similar to direct, we have 3 dvrs and 2 stb that can all share and the stb can get dvr function if you hit record. we paid nothing upfront and are saving quite a bit. i just wish they had more space, fios especially needs a lot of space because the recordings are large, has the same user space as the hopper, 500GB, but we have 3 at 1.5tb total and are just spreading the recordings around snice they can all see each other.

I am unfamiliar with Direct tv since it has been twelve years since I was there. Does the new equipment allow you to watch DLNA content like Dish is trying to do with their Hopper system? Have considered switching to get full time RSN's, but have been slow to pull the trigger. As some one who watches a lot of baseball and my own media collection, this would make life easier. My 86 year old mother-in-law lives with us and we try to keep things simple for her, otherwise we would have already switched. If she could access tv and her Gospel music videos with one remote, it would be great. If not, is there any plans to ad this feature in the near future?

The HRs will do DLNA, but in my experience with streaming video to it, it is very flakey. I went back to using my PS3 'cause the 3 HR24s wouldn't stream via DLNA reliably.

The HRs will do DLNA, but in my experience with streaming video to it, it is very flakey. I went back to using my PS3 'cause the 3 HR24s wouldn't stream via DLNA reliably.

The DLNA support on the H25 isn't even alpha quality from what I've seen (no FF, no RWD, etc). My $40 Sony network box is infinitely better. And I'm not sure when any of the TV Extras last worked.. I just get an error message now. Some days I'm starting to miss my 622 from Dish.

Does any one know if the Dish system will be any better? All i need is to be able to start and stop the videos and watch tv.

Hard to say if it will be better at this point. It seems to be very much hit or miss right now.

With my HRs, I can always see the DLNA server, but more often than not a video stream of over 15 minutes or so gets troublesome in a hurry. My PS3 OTOH, is just great at working, even if the selection process pretty much sucks! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)