Dolan Trying To Keep VOOM Alive

Lucky

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
New York
According to SatBiznews Dolan is trying to keep VOOM alive. This seems to contradict their report about the service going off as of late last week. See here :

TODAY'S HEADLINES
MONDAY FEB. 7, 2005
TAGLIABUE: GET DISH FOR SUNDAY TICKET
DOLAN KEEPS TRYING CPR ON VOOM
DBS KEEPS GAINING GROUND ON CABLE
BROTHERS PLEAD GUILTY TO PIRACY CHARGES
NEWS & NOTES: Time Warner Cable lost 35,000 basic customers in the fourth quarter.

http://www.satbiznews.com/

joep said:
Is there a story behind the headline above?

You have to pay to be a sub to read it.

I find it amusing that just headlines from this site can stir up so much interest.
Until something from this board wants to cough up the $$$ to actually read their entire article, I vote this practice of headline posting comes to an abrupt end.

vurbano said:
Go ahead and pay for it Boo, Ill send you a check
:D

Nah, I am tired of the whole DBS thing, D* sucks because of major down-converting, E* has pissed me off because of that letter about down converting, and I really was going to try Voom again if they got their DVR and my local RSN as part of those new channels, but without rehashing whats going on with Voom we know that's out the window, so I got hold of a local Comcast salesman ( not a CSR on the phone) yesterday who called me back three times yesterday promising me everything under the sun but not yet a price ( he called today but I was out ), so if the price quote is good, E* will lose another longtime sub (since 1999).

Lucky said:
According to SatBiznews Dolan is trying to keep VOOM alive.

I don't consider this a reliable source. They have been wrong too many times, and it's like reading the National Enquirer.

headline posting

maybe those posting the headlines should be the ones buying the article???
I've had Voom for 1 day now and enjoying the heck out of it! I'm sure some of the newness will wear off and then Boom it'll be gone!

I agree with Keno. Based on their past history, it is not worth the bread for what may be two extra lines and no real insight.

Walter L. said:
So, who's ready to trash $84.95 and let us know what this article is all about? bruce? fredfa? DobyMax?

why i need to by article i know that zoom wil not go anywere it is hear to stay and hd drv will be out by end of feb so i dont know why peolpe are so nervis about all fo news and nothin has happen so enjoy yoru hd tv

Posting headlines without a back story should be considered trolling. There are fair use ways to quote articles, even from a copyrighted subscription source. Unless there is some proof that the author has READ the story, and a brief commentary on the true content, they shouldn't be offering the headline as a tease. Whether or not the headlines are pro- or anti-Voom.

And it should be considered that this is advertising for the rag that the headline was pulled from. Advertising isn't permitted, is it?

It would be best that these headlines do not appear.

JL

I disagree. The fact that any publication lists a headline regarding VOOM/Dolan is news in and of itself. If someone then wants to go read or aquire the article themselves, good on them.

Lob

justalurker said:
It would be best that these headlines do not appear.

JL

I also agree with you that it adds any new value to the discussion.

If I were a guessing man I would say that the article could be correct. Its a shame to read the article you must pay $649 a year to see it (You can't see it if you subscribe to the $89 option)

I have been talking to some folks at the FCC and it appears NOTHING has been filed yet by Rainbow or Dish Network in regards to this transaction. This in itself seems odd to me.

The second hunch I am working off of is its business as usual at VOOM, and a number of people have been told that they plan on announcing new programming next month and the plans are on for the DVR as well.

So whats going on at VOOM? Frankly I don't honestly know. But it leads to some good speculation from everyone. :D

Scott...that was at least helpful and confirming some of the other contacts made at the FCC etc.

What going on with VOOM? We would all like to know the answer to that one! :confused: I think we have ridden the entire emotional roller-coaster over the past few weeks:

SD/HD Channels Coming :bounce
HD DVR in March :clap
Cablevision Board Discontent :shocked
Sale of Rainbow1 and Uplink Facility :yikes
Trolls Reappear :no
What Just Happened :confused:
Can This be True :(
Denial: I Feel Cheated :mad:
Sad Acceptance :no :river
Subscribers Discuss Jumping Ship :wave
Wait, It May Not Be Over :eek:
Wild Speculation Begins :eureka
Business As Usual :what
No Transition Details :shh
Trolling Accelerates :dev
Dolan Sr. rumored to be Fighting :yes
VOOM Still Taking Orders for New Installs :welcome
What are Strategic Alternatives :confused:
Release Software 7.33 :up
Release Software 7.34 and Immediately Halted :down
Rollout Super-DMA Map :)
No FCC Filing :info
Members Contact FCC !protest
Trolling Continues :sleeo
VOOM Still Planning more HD/SD Channels :rainbow
VOOM Still Planning HD/DVR Release :heart
VOOM Still in Business :love
Scott Reaffirms Wild Speculation Will Continue :rolleyes:
Riffjim4069 is Finally Committed !sadroll

Anyway, still enjoying Va Va VOOM! :)

Now that was a great email riff -- very creative! I think that about sums up the past month very well!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts